Premium beverage and more expensive drinks

talcert

Quick question for those more experienced in the premium package - we were told on the phone that if you order a beverage over $20, they will apply the $20 from your package and you only pay the difference, but that has not been my experience in the plus package on prior cruises. Does anyone know what really happens on the ship? Do they charge the full price, or just the difference?  Thanks so much for your experience and wisdom!

1 hour ago, talcert said:

Quick question for those more experienced in the premium package - we were told on the phone that if you order a beverage over $20, they will apply the $20 from your package and you only pay the difference, but that has not been my experience in the plus package on prior cruises. Does anyone know what really happens on the ship? Do they charge the full price, or just the difference?  Thanks so much for your experience and wisdom!

You will be charged the difference plus the current gratuity amount, currently 18%.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

What has your experience been with the Plus package?  I have always just paid the difference on the Plus package.  It should be no different as the premium package.

It is the same with Plus. You pay the difference between $15 and the price of the drink plus th 18 percent on the difference.  I do it all the time. If you are charged for the full drink price, go to guest services for an adjustment.

• Like 2

It was pre-pandemic, and perhaps not called plus (but it was the mid-tier package), but whenever I was at a bar and ordered a more expensive beverage, I was charged the entire amount. when I asked, they just said the drink was not covered, that was the way it was and take it up with customer service. I didn't bother, it wasn't often or much, but that is why I was surprised when on the phone they told me I only pay the difference. 

On plus I pay the difference if it's a covered drink. Such as, if you wanted a better brand of an included hard alcohol. But pre-plus package it was the drink package and they listed some drinks on the website in the drink package description that we're not included (such as energy drinks) If I got one of those I paid the full price. I'm not sure about now. I haven't gotten the drink package since they started doing plus but I assume some drinks still aren't covered.

1 hour ago, talcert said:

It was pre-pandemic, and perhaps not called plus (but it was the mid-tier package), but whenever I was at a bar and ordered a more expensive beverage, I was charged the entire amount. when I asked, they just said the drink was not covered, that was the way it was and take it up with customer service. I didn't bother, it wasn't often or much, but that is why I was surprised when on the phone they told me I only pay the difference. 

When Princess first started alcoholic beverage packages the terms were that drinks over the package limit, initially it was $12, are charged in full. That policy was changed at some point. Princess now offers a plus & premier fare which includes the beverage package, wifi, gratuities and some other items. The current policy is that you are charged the difference + 18% between the package limit and the price of the alcoholic drink. Plus and Premier fares include the plus and premier beverage package. There are some exclusions specifically mentioned in the terms. One example are the 50ml room service bottles. You can find the actual terms here:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/food-and-dining/beverages