Best way to get to the pier in Manhattan from Connecticut

I will be going on the Venezia soon and I was wondering what is the best option to getting there. I live in CT and could take the train, uber or drive there and use a parking garage. Since it is me and my grandson would like something easy and least expensive. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated> 

I would have to take uber to train station and then go to Bridgeport and then to Grand Central and take a taxi to pier. I know it's the most economical .....not sure if I want to do that on a Friday morning.  Will also look into garage by the pier....found one for 26 dollars a day. Still would be alot since it is 9 night cruise.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, puffinsmom said:

I would have to take uber to train station and then go to Bridgeport and then to Grand Central and take a taxi to pier. I know it's the most economical .....not sure if I want to do that on a Friday morning. …

You would prefer to drive from CT to Manhattan on a Friday morning?

We did the same trip in September but with a Saturday morning departure. We are also in CT but closer to NYC than you. My initial thought was to take MNRR and a taxi but decided the night before that due to weather and ease to just Uber right from home to the port. It was only about a 45-minute trip for us. One trick I learned here on CC was to take the Uber to a building across the street from the pier entrance, so the Uber didn't get caught up in the long driveway.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:50 PM, puffinsmom said:

I guess I didn't factor in the Friday  morning traffic .....Thanks

Bridgeport is also served by Amtrak but not as frequently and if you buy in advance it can be as little as $5. Bridgeport identifier is BRP you are going to NYP. Right now the 2/23 6:47a departure is $5. 9:57a is $13 gets in at 11:21a. Cost well below the peak fare of MetroNorth. 

You can ask the train crew to call ahead for Red Cap service where Amtrak and yes with a someone in a red cap, will assist with your bags. A free service but tip is customary. 

• Like 1

I'm not going until April but also trying to figure out the same thing! We are in Manchester but will be dropping a dog off in Derby, CT so trying to figure out our options. So far we are leaning towards just doing an uber directly in, eliminates the hassle of parking at the train station, dealing with bags on the train and then an uber in the city from GCT to Port. Just a 15min uber in manhattan is half the cost of an uber from CT. 

35 minutes ago, SugarStar00 said:

I'm not going until April but also trying to figure out the same thing! We are in Manchester but will be dropping a dog off in Derby, CT so trying to figure out our options. So far we are leaning towards just doing an uber directly in, eliminates the hassle of parking at the train station, dealing with bags on the train and then an uber in the city from GCT to Port. Just a 15min uber in manhattan is half the cost of an uber from CT. 

Makes sense - you can get an Uber estimate and compare it with what a local car service might charge.