sim card for europe recommendations

lincoln81

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

There is no voice service (i.e. phone) with an eSIM like Airalo.  You can do WiFi calling with apps other than WhatsApp, but the lack of phone calls is the only weak spot for eSIMS. 

It not esims , it’s Airalo that does want to provide the voice service as you can get esims with Bell, Rogers , Vodaphone etc and they all provided voice 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

as you can get esims with Bell, Rogers , Vodaphone etc and they all provided voice 

They're also only available if they are your cellphone carrier and you want to pay their roaming rates - but that's not what this discussion is about.  It's about using local carriers around the world so we don't have to pay outrageous Canadian roaming charges. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

They're also only available if they are your cellphone carrier and you want to pay their roaming rates - but that's not what this discussion is about.  It's about using local carriers around the world so we don't have to pay outrageous Canadian roaming charges. 

The point I was making you wrote the esims have a problem with voice calls, I wrote it isn’t esims but the provider

it is crazy to pay a Canadian provider $15 a day for their service when out of the country 

I will check out Freedom , international plans before our next trip to Portugal or go with Vodafone travellers package 

23 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The point I was making you wrote the esims have a problem with voice calls, I wrote it isn’t esims but the provider

it is crazy to pay a Canadian provider $15 a day for their service when out of the country 

I will check out Freedom , international plans before our next trip to Portugal or go with Vodafone travellers package 

I get this... but I have been with Rogers for ever and ever and we have really good packages.  

I am not going to change provider for a trip.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I get this... but I have been with Rogers for ever and ever and we have really good packages.  

I am not going to change provider for a trip.

I change providers when I can get a cheaper rate 😁

I just think it is crazy to pay a Canadian provider $15 a day for international roaming 😉

I also don’t buy cellphones , the last cellphone I bought was in 2014 , now I just get my kids old phone , I just got an iPhone 12 from my son so I am good for another 3 years 🤣

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I just think it is crazy to pay a Canadian provider $15 a day for international roaming

So do I, which is why I don't.  But I also don't change cell phone providers every time I take a trip.  Local SIM cards, or global eSIMs are my preferences. 

I also don’t buy cellphones

Well, you don't buy cellphones for yourself, at least.  (Maybe you don't buy your son's.....I assumed you did, but I realize I don't know how old you and he are.)

47 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

So do I, which is why I don't.  But I also don't change cell phone providers every time I take a trip.  Local SIM cards, or global eSIMs are my preferences. 

I also don’t buy cellphones

Well, you don't buy cellphones for yourself, at least.  (Maybe you don't buy your son's.....I assumed you did, but I realize I don't know how old you and he are.)

why would you have change change cellphone providers for every trip ? 🤔

With Freedom plan , you could get international plan for $45 month ,( you need to activate for 3 months) keep your Canadian number , not leaving the country down grade to less expensive plan 

My son only has 3 years and  he is retiring from the military 🤣

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Because my current provider doesn't offer that.  Good cell service in my rural area is pretty spotty as it is, and a budget carrier isn't a company I'd trust. 

With Freedom , they did use Bell towers in their nationwide system, 

I am not sure if they switch to Rogers when Rogers bought Shaws

In Rural areas , it either good or bad at our house both Bell and Rogers are crap 😁

12 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Because my current provider doesn't offer that.  Good cell service in my rural area is pretty spotty as it is, and a budget carrier isn't a company I'd trust. 

Budget carriers in Canada are mostly just sub tiers of the main carrier. IE Telus, Koodoo, Public Mobile. Depends what your plan provides but other than that it's customer service that goes from bad, to very bad to none.

• Like 1