Rhine water levels 2024 and similar topics

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The conditions appear to have improved on the French section already so that is good for the next stretch across the border in Germany.

We should have a look at the French river and the Grand Canal d'Alsace. This is what the flood vigilance is showing tonight:

image.png.a18e2680294b83f8c5efe079a34a92e8.png

The green line furthest to the right is the Rhine river. See that one section is on yellow still. A couple of days ago the whole green Rhine was on yellow, too. So that is better now. Running North almost parallel to the Rhine is the river Ill (capital I, two small ll). At the top in the screenshot it reaches Strasbourg before joining the Rhine a little bit downstream. The city is actually not on the modern-day Rhine, that is, the old town is not and no river cruise ships dock in town. Both rivers have been heavily engineered so both the Ill after it has left the picturesque old town and the Rhine with its harbour at Kehl on the German side, where a lot of river cruise ships dock. Strasbourg administration has of course harbours out of town and river cruise ships can dock in these (industrial/commercial) places.

You can see it here on marinetraffic.com:

image.png.bbc3fe4930afb92967b46c6547fec498.png

The blue dots are either river cruise ships or excursion boats.

The Ill is only navigable in a very small section for motorized vessels (excursion boats and those using the canals coming off the Rhine). Otherwise it can only be used by canoes, etc.

notamermaid

Monday I was asked about conditions on the river, as regards sailing on 1st July. With being two days closer to the date, let us have a look. The hot weather is already causing thunderstorms in the Vosges mountains and the Black Forest. With rain falling also East of Lake Constance, that is staying above 500cm. With no rain having fallen in the Upper Rhine valley, Maxau gauge is having a real dip, down to 660cm. It will not leave flood vigilance and is likely to go up again during the evening. The modelling for the next three days puts the Upper Rhine valley on high but manageable levels, with the thunderstorms having an impact that will be considerable but not substantial enough to cause problems. Note that the river is officially high on the High Rhine so there may be minor adjustments in the Basel area that I cannot know about.

notamermaid

• Like 2

It has certainly been hotting up and for today the authorities have put much of Germany on heat warning level 1. It is basically summer really. But they like to keep us informed. If you are out and about do have water ready and sun protection is a very good idea. During the day we will be moving towards thunderstorms. Those warnings are for the Eastern side of the Neckar and around the "young" Danube basin, etc.. So that water will at its Northern end of the band of clouds go to the Main, in the middle to the Danube and at the Southern end to the Rhine via the Eastern tributaries feeding Lake Constance. We will see how that develops. It looks to me as if the computer modelling has been amended taking into account that more rain clouds are moving East of the Rhine valley rather than feeding the Rhine and its Upper Rhine valley tributaries directly. So that is good for sailing.

In other news: yesterday, the Olympic Flame came to France. It was carried over the border from Weil to Huningue on the Dreiländerbrücke, the "Bridge of three Countries". Here is a German report, you can probably find something in English, too: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-wuerttemberg/suedbaden/olympisches-feuer-in-baden-wuerttemberg-weil-am-rhein-100.html

notamermaid

• Like 1

Here is a headline that caught my eye and I admit I stumbled over the language used: "Xanten: Römerschiff macht Probefahrt auf Südsee". Firstly, why would a newspaper in the Xanten area report this? A Roman ship? A test sailing in the South Sea, that is thousands of miles away! The real meaning is that a replica of a Roman (military) ship went on a test sailing at Xanten on the South Sea. In German it is in der Südsee, but in the headline it was shortened and the auf used which means that it was on the lake called Südsee at the town of Xanten in North Rhine-Westfalia. It looks a splendid boat: https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/ruhrgebiet/xanten-roemisches-boot-auf-suedsee-100.html

Xanten has a Nordsee and a Südsee, great fun for confusing people. Where did you go on holiday? Nordsee ((North Sea)). The Netherlands? No, Xanten...

This is the Lake (no English website available, although the URL indicates that you in your realm may be fed an English page if you search for it): https://www.xanten.de/de/tix/naturbad-xantener-suedsee/

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izengolf said:

your The Gentleman and my SS Victoria

Should be some sort of sophisticated soap opera, love story type, a feature film or a four-parter, of people getting stuck in a port on the two ships, title "Victoria and The Gentleman" (the twist is that they are actually the names of the ships). Lady on one ship sees this dashing young man on the other ship while rafting. You have the title folks and the basic story, please feel free to embellish and write a bestselling novel. 😊

Talking of which, I have just remembered: a German TV station is shooting a new series in - Cochem!

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Izengolf said:

Notamermaid, I noticed your The Gentleman and my SS Victoria were moored in Cochem one behind the other this morning.  If only I was young enough to know the eyebrows raised emoji!

We'll soon find out if it really is a Gentleman.  If it leaves her behind after one night – The Cad!!!

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We'll soon find out if it really is a Gentleman.  If it leaves her behind after one night – The Cad!!!

Well, I would say it was only a "brief encounter". He has moved on towards Trier and she is still in Cochem:

image.png.e530bc906cc8bcb89fab7ef11f8db11d.png

We are awaiting the thunderstorms, coming from France. Clouds are coming over the border via the Saarland. Some fan zones have been closed as a precautionary measure. Germany is playing tonight so people are out and about watching the game at beer gardens and basically in some town squares where event organizations have put up huge television screens.

I am staying at home, am not a fan of fan zones. As Dortmund's stadium where the match is taking place will be in the path of the thunderstorms there is a certain nervousness as regards to what will happen.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

As Dortmund's stadium where the match is taking place will be in the path of the thunderstorms there is a certain nervousness as regards to what will happen.

Final score is Germany 2, Denmark 0. Have a look at the photos if you like, the game had to be halted due to the torrential rain. Commentators during and after the match could not resist a few plays on words with thunder and lightning :classic_wink:. https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2024/jun/29/euro-2024-germany-v-denmark-live#maincontent

One caption says that the roof was supposedly leaking. That is what I will have to check with me here, quite a bit of rain...

notamermaid

Brief update. Lake Constance is stable, not much of note is happening around Basel as regards the river's levels. Maxau gauge is high but looking okay. The figures there should stay in the range of flood vigilance but under 700cm, so just ups and downs without extremes. Good. With a bit of cooperation from the clouds (no downpours) this will stay manageable this coming week.

notamermaid

I must admit that I exclaimed a cry of surprise and delight when I noticed that the "Otto" has been able to sail on since her accident at Bad Abbach on the Danube. She is pushing the hull of a river cruise ship to Hardinxveld in the Netherlands for outfitting. If you happen to be in Cologne today you may see her sailing past - within an hour.

For a bit of webcam television: https://www.feratel.com/webcams/deutschland/koeln-hyatt-regency-hotel.html

notamermaid

• Like 1