2 QE Questions.

erniebernie

Typically the guest speaker situation won't be clear until you board. For Alaska trips they are mindful that popular speakers are those who dwell on the wildlife and geographical features of the area. 

Dining in Britannia is in 2 sittings, early or late, with an Open dining option - multiple threads elsewhere on this Board as to the merits of these options. Usually first sitting is something like 18:00 hrs and the second 20:30 hrs, with last call some 15 minutes after both times. There can be some variations, so I've been on sailings where it was 17:45 for the first sitting, for example, I can't recall anything earlier than that. Sometimes it's 15-30 minutes later on embarkation day if embarkation is later on. I'm aware that it can be delayed by a similar amount if the port day means that many people will be arriving late from excursions.

Having said that, it shouldn't really affect your choice of sitting: if you were on early sitting and  you were late back from an excursion then the front desk of Britannia would either seat you immediately (which they can easily do thanks to the Open dining service) or invite you to the second sitting on that day. And the Lido is open for main service until something like 21:30 hrs.

we were on QE's Alaska season in 2022. One of the speakers we had was a woman from Manchester who is a whale expert. She was excellent, and was usually in the Garden Lounge late afternoon for a chat. We also had a fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, very good. My favourite was a woman called Felicty Aston who took an all-female team of novices to the North Pole. She was so inspiring. 

Cunard used to give details of speakers well in advance on the website but I don't think that happens now.  

Also check your MyCunard site for specific voyage details. Speakers will be included and you can book excursions from there too. If you see an excursion you really want to go on, book it now because I see some on my Alaska cruise already sold out. 

I have most of the programmes from our Alaska cruise of last June.  The first sitting in Britannia was 5:30; the second was 7:45.  The last call for each sitting was 30 minutes later except on the first night when it was 15 minutes.  

As for the on-board speakers, some of them were listed on the booking site for the particular cruise. Dr. Rachel Cartwright was one. I mention her because she was on board the three Alaska cruises we have taken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

have most of the programmes from our Alaska cruise of last June. 

Would you mind posting a Programme from a sea day or glacier viewing day? Did you have a meal at Frontier specialty dining? Any thoughts or feedback you’ve heard on Frontier? The price seems very reasonable and menu unique. 

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

There were reports about Frontier last season. Positive as far as I remember. 

I'll try to find one.

No problem HH, I did some CC research and indeed Frontier opened only last year and the reviews have been very positive. I already made our reservation for the Hubbard Glacier sea day. I’m sure I’ll splurge on the seafood platter too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Found the one I was thinking of

@Host Hattie's link has some great photos of the Frontier fare.  @martinmct also posted the actual Frontier menu from the 2023 sailings.  It is on post 329, page 14, of the "Queen Elizabeth Position" thread.  I wish they had Frontier during our 2019 Alaska trip - looks very tasty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Would you mind posting a Programme from a sea day or glacier viewing day? Did you have a meal at Frontier specialty dining? Any thoughts or feedback you’ve heard on Frontier? The price seems very reasonable and menu unique. 

I don't have much luck scanning and posting with my rather basic equipment. I will give it a try but won't post it if the quality is poor.

We had splurged on Queens Grill so didn't try any alternative dining.  From what I heard, nor did anyone else we met. We received the usual CWC invitation to lunch at the Verandah and for reasons that weren't explained we received a dinner invitation voucher  as well. Having experienced the Verandah for both lunch and dinner on other cruises when we were in Britannia we preferred to stay in QG.

23 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I don't have much luck scanning and posting with my rather basic equipment. I will give it a try but won't post it if the quality is poor.

We had splurged on Queens Grill so didn't try any alternative dining.  From what I heard, nor did anyone else we met. We received the usual CWC invitation to lunch at the Verandah and for reasons that weren't explained we received a dinner invitation voucher  as well. Having experienced the Verandah for both lunch and dinner on other cruises when we were in Britannia we preferred to stay in QG.

Thanks, we’re in PG but not sure if we’ll see too much Alaska fare offered in PG and the Frontier menu looks good. Even though we had a good experience on our first PG experience recently on QM2 we’ll give this a try. I agree that it’s not worth paying extra for alternative dining if one is already in PG or QG.