Joy dockside

JUSRN

No way to know until you get there. Last year, we went to Bermuda on the Prima and the port side was alongside the dock. My SIL did the same cruise on the Prima 2 weeks before us and the starboard side was alongside the dock when she was there.

19 hours ago, JUSRN said:

Does anyone know which side of the Joy faces the dock in Bermuda?

Or do they alternate each week?

Trying to pick my cabin on the dockside.

I've been on two Bermuda cruises where the ship actually changed orientation during its stay.

As @bluesea777 said:

"It’s crapshoot.

Two words: lifeboat maintenance."

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I've been on two Bermuda cruises where the ship actually changed orientation during its stay.

As @bluesea777 said:

"It’s crapshoot.

Two words: lifeboat maintenance."

For the last several years we have not seen any ships doing that. That would involve calling local dockhands back to help with the ropes, etc, and this costs $$$$$, so I think the cruiselines have stopped doing so.

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

For the last several years we have not seen any ships doing that. That would involve calling local dockhands back to help with the ropes, etc, and this costs $$$$$, so I think the cruiselines have stopped doing so.

The last time I was on a ship that did the repositioning...I'd guess over 5 or 6 years ago, the ship had an itinerary change the previous week...I think due to weather, and apparently was unable to do the scheduled lifeboat tests on one side of the ship. As a result the week I was aboard they had to test the lifeboats on both sides; hence the repositioning during the Bermuda port call. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the first time I was on a ship when that happened it was for the same reason. I doubt it was done gratuitously or for the benefit of the passengers, because as you say it's expensive to have the dockhands out an extra time.

• Like 1