Two nights in Los Angeles

roman70

Our cruise on the Norwegian Bliss ends on February 11 in the port of San Pedro and we will spend two more nights in Hollywood before flying back to Switzerland.

The Pacific is too cold for swimming in mid-February. But is there anything going on at the promenades in Venice Beach or Santa Monica so that you can have a good stroll there?

That's just one option. I've been to the city before and I know I won't get bored. It's my girlfriend's first time.

I'm planning to take an Uber from the port to the hotel and I don't think the traffic will be too bad on a Sunday morning. Or do you have any better suggestions?

43 minutes ago, roman70 said:

The Pacific is too cold for swimming in mid-February. But is there anything going on at the promenades in Venice Beach or Santa Monica so that you can have a good stroll there?

That part of the Pacific is usually too cold for me year round. Usually doesn't get above 70 around LA even in the warmer months.

Either of them will have plenty to do. Frankly with your girlfriend's first time I would go with Santa Monica with some higher end things to do/eat/drink there. 

44 minutes ago, roman70 said:

I'm planning to take an Uber from the port to the hotel and I don't think the traffic will be too bad on a Sunday morning. Or do you have any better suggestions?

That's what I would do as well-- Uber will be the quickest and Saturday should not present any major traffic issues (although you never know...) 

The beach is busy year round; always stuff going on.

The ocean is too cold for prolonged exposure, but I often dip in it when I am hot from playing volleyball on the beach.

I would go to the Manhattan Beach Pier over Venice and a toss up with Santa Monica Pier.

22 hours ago, roman70 said:

Our cruise on the Norwegian Bliss ends on February 11 in the port of San Pedro and we will spend two more nights in Hollywood before flying back to Switzerland.

That's just one option. I've been to the city before and I know I won't get bored. It's my girlfriend's first time.

Since you are staying in Hollywood, go upstairs to the top of the Hollywood /Highland complex ( sort of a shopping/eating area.  At the top, and in the back, you can get a great view of the Hollywood sign

( and a perfect cutout for selfies).  Downstairs ( in the belly of the complex), there is the red line subway.  You can take that into Downtown LA ( would not recommend it).  IF you do take it, go all the way to Union Station ( old deco train station), then walk across the street to Olvera Street ( the birthplace of Los Angeles).  But after being in all the Mexican ports, Olvera Street will just be ho/hum.  Also remember, I thinks its Super Bowl Sunday.  Stop into a bar ( pub) and watch the crowd go crazy when their team scores ( I always tune into the last 15 min...Too long to watch to just get to the exciting part). Beverly Hills is not too far away from Hollywood.  The IVY restaurant ( if its still there) is a place to eat and usually see some celebrities.