OPINIONS ON MARELLA

Hi All  -  we have booked a cruise with Marella in July this year leaving Dubrovnik.  The itinerary is what attracted us.  We have cruised with Cunard, Celebrity and |Princess so this will be a first.  We are very open as to what to expect - the reviews all seem to be good (the ship is adults only) and we have booked a Suite so that we have a larger cabin.  Just wondered what people honestly thought.

Hello, I assume you've booked Explorer 2 if it's adults only.  We have done many Marella cruises and did the Adriatic cruise in September.   We had a lovely time and hope you will, just go with an open mind.  The ship is older, being ex Celebrity,  but we found it to be in good order in all the public places.  Our cabin, although dated, was kept immaculately clean.  The staff are very friendly,  the captain and officers regularly wander around and we often saw them eating in the marketplace.

There are several places to eat and we enjoyed our food although I don't think it will compare with Cunard or Princess, but you won't starve.   We always found places to sit around the ship, it gets busy around the pool as all ships do but we found plenty of loungers on the top deck where it was quieter.

Just go with an open mind, it's a beautiful part if the world and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Hello, I assume you've booked Explorer 2 if it's adults only.  We have done many Marella cruises and did the Adriatic cruise in September.   We had a lovely time and hope you will, just go with an open mind.  The ship is older, being ex Celebrity,  but we found it to be in good order in all the public places.  Our cabin, although dated, was kept immaculately clean.  The staff are very friendly,  the captain and officers regularly wander around and we often saw them eating in the marketplace.

There are several places to eat and we enjoyed our food although I don't think it will compare with Cunard or Princess, but you won't starve.   We always found places to sit around the ship, it gets busy around the pool as all ships do but we found plenty of loungers on the top deck where it was quieter.

Just go with an open mind, it's a beautiful part if the world and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thank you so much.  Yes, we fully expect a slightly different experience but nonetheless are looking forward to it.  It's a lovely itinerary and the 3-night stay afterwards in Mlini is a nice end to the holiday.  Very much appreciate all the information.  Thank you.

Hi. We have done 3 Marella cruises on Explorer and are booked to do another at the beginning of March. We think they are great and certainly give P&0 a run for their money. We have done many cruises including Cunard (not to be repeated), P&O (probably about 25 on them), MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. I have likened peoples views of Marella v (say P&O) as similar to when Aldi and Lidl came to the UK. People wouldn’t be seen dead going to them but look at them now!! As far as Explorer is concerned, the buffet is awful and the hand soap in the bathroom is awful!! Otherwise food is first rate, especially the fine dining Dining Club and Surf & Turf restaurants. You do pay a supplement to eat in some restaurants but we like them so much we don’t mind!! Staff are wonderful and the ship is not at all “stuffy”. We prefer the smaller ships now that we can’t walk or climb stairs any more!! Enjoy

1 hour ago, pennib said:

Hi. We have done 3 Marella cruises on Explorer and are booked to do another at the beginning of March. We think they are great and certainly give P&0 a run for their money. We have done many cruises including Cunard (not to be repeated), P&O (probably about 25 on them), MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. I have likened peoples views of Marella v (say P&O) as similar to when Aldi and Lidl came to the UK. People wouldn’t be seen dead going to them but look at them now!! As far as Explorer is concerned, the buffet is awful and the hand soap in the bathroom is awful!! Otherwise food is first rate, especially the fine dining Dining Club and Surf & Turf restaurants. You do pay a supplement to eat in some restaurants but we like them so much we don’t mind!! Staff are wonderful and the ship is not at all “stuffy”. We prefer the smaller ships now that we can’t walk or climb stairs any more!! Enjoy

Thank you.  Very helpful.  I’m looking forward to it.

Marella as Thomson entered the cruise market 50years ago stalled after 3 year and returned in 1995 as Sun cruises(Airtours) were being very successful with their entry to cruises.

Never had a problem attracting passengers budget cruises at budget prices.

Competition helped with Sun cruises and later island cruises in the same space.

They have ways been a pretty solid budget product.

Now taking advantage of their monopoly and  loyalty with prices higher than the product is worth.

Would take issue that their prices are higher than the product is worth. It all depends on what you want and your own perception of value for money. We are very happy with what they offer and the price charged. We like the smaller ship concept and whilst we like P&O Britannia we would not even go near their two newest ships(Iona and Arvia). Too big and too Americanised. Horses for courses….…

Thank you for your insight - in general, all the reviews have been very positive and I am looking forward to it, with an open mind!  As you say, horses for courses and comparisons are, in some cases irrelevant so we shall just get on with it and have a lovely time!!  Thank you.

I'm interested in this post as I'm looking at two cruises this coming April dates are 2 days apart both london flights. Cabins both balconies. 

Marella 5 stops  £2794 all in 

P&O Azura 4 stops £2298 select fare £170 Obc no drinks

Been on Marella twice, loved first only liked 2nd so wondering about P&O but finding reviews mixed on Azura, bit marmite lol 😆 

Anybody want to chuck in their tennpeneth? 

My twopenneth..

When we've looked at P&O fly cruises, we've been put off by lack of flight times when you book. In the case of London airports, they don't even confirm which one you'll fly from. This makes booking parking/hotels/trains etc. difficult, and you won't be able to book early to get a decent price.

Another niggle with P&O (for us) is the lack of port information. They give arrival as "Morning" and departure as "Afternoon" or "Evening" this can make planning your own trips difficult.  P&O also seem to do fewer ports on their cruises v Marella.

Drinks prices on P&O are reasonable, similar to pub prices at home.

I've no experience of Azura, so I can't comment on that.

8 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I'm interested in this post as I'm looking at two cruises this coming April dates are 2 days apart both london flights. Cabins both balconies. 

Marella 5 stops  £2794 all in 

P&O Azura 4 stops £2298 select fare £170 Obc no drinks

Been on Marella twice, loved first only liked 2nd so wondering about P&O but finding reviews mixed on Azura, bit marmite lol 😆 

Anybody want to chuck in their tennpeneth? 

Tks for your tennpenneth!!!  P&O has never appealed - not sure why 😁

5 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi 2BA,  personally we'd go for the extra port, but that's why we like cruising. 

Aren't there any local flights,? I thought you were 'up north ' like us

We are but only bringing up other London airports on website as alternatives to Luton nothing north of Luton. 🤔

We've cruised on all the main lines many times, we're rapidly going off P&O - the cut backs are just too obvious. We are booked on our 3rd Marella cruise in May, we love them. We accept its not the most polished cruise product but its just really good!  The staff are amazing and so friendly, the food is good - especially if you pay for the specialty restaurants - they are superb.  The ships are older but are not dated at all (well maybe the cabins a bit!) but they are kept immaculately clean.  Where Marella win massively is the flights (they are always good times) the transfers, the departure day where you just stay on the ship and continue to use all the facilities etc until your you get called for your flight is just brilliant, its just seamless.  For some reason we find passengers on Marella far more friendly and upbeat than other lines, I think this comes from the warm,  friendly nature of the staff - it seems to spread!  

• Like 1

We have just finished our 14th Marella cruise, (Explorer round Canaries - for 3rd time!). No real issues to report. I get the impression they are 'squeezing' the standard product to encourage passengers to purchase premium drinks package and use the speciality food venues, but the standard product is still acceptable.

The 'cost of living crisis' hasn't hit the cruise market as Marella ships appear fuller than ever, hence they aren't price cutting in the way they had in the past (did a 10 night reposition in Oct 22 for £860), so prices have risen compared to previously.

Did Ambassador Ambience last September and will be returning to them soon as we found the staff and entertainment were very good and the food better, at a similar price point.