Cruising On Norwegian Epic with toddlers

clcizme

I have a bunch of questions and wondered if there is a specific board for baby/toddler questions? We are cruising on Norwegian Epic in February with a group that includes: 3: 14 - 17 month olds and a 3 year old. We are flying to Orlando to board in Port Canaveral. This is the first cruise with babies for all of us and the first cruise for many of us. These are our questions

1.)  What size are the pack and plays?  I read that they don't include a mattress and are smaller than a normal pack and play. Some people suggested making a foam bottom for it.  Anyone have the measurements or another suggestion?

2.)  Is there a sliding curtain to separate the room for the baby area and the bed for the adults?  Is there a way to separate them if we bring something?  On other boards, they suggest bringing magnetic clips and curtains, is that something that would work on the Epic?

3.) Did you bring your car seats for excursions?  Where did you stow them in your room?  

4.) If you bring a box of diapers, does it count as one of the (2) items you can check or would that be something they don't count?  Also, someone said if you carry it on, you can bring as much as you can carry and put through the X-ray machine, is that accurate?

5.) Are the babies allowed to swim anywhere on the boat?  Is there a splash area where they can go with their swim diapers on?  I know they aren't allowed in the pools with swim diapers.

6.) Our cabins are all right together, are there any monitors that work so we could all gather in one room while the babies are sleeping in the other?

6.) I am sure there are other things that we don't know to ask.  Any small details to make this easier would be appreciated.  Also, if this is the wrong board, apologies.  I couldn't find a baby board.

For the cruise you can check as many bags/diaper boxes as you want.  If you're asking about the flights, a box of diapers would absolutely count.  Definitely pick up a box of diapers, wipes, anything else you might need for the entire trip in Orlando before boarding.  Don't expect the ship to have anything - bring your own meds, plastic cups, etc.

While there is no water play area for non-potty trained, many parents have brought the little blow up duck tub for splash play on deck - there's always an area away from the pool where you can put one between two lounge chairs.  The duck fits nicely in the shower to use as a bath tub as well, then has a suction cup to stick to the wall.  

Search "monitor" on this board.  Many have tried and some have been successful - but I believe it has more to do with how thick the walls, fire doors, etc are so you have to be prepared that it won't work.  But I used to put my sleeping toddlers in a stroller, cover with a towel and park them next to me in a lounge or on deck.  

Bringing little scented bags to dispose diapers will be helpful to you and your room steward.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's available for every cruise, but the NCL app (for our NCL Epic cruise) shows boxes of diapers available to order for $45, and I guess they would be delivered to your room. Maybe that's an option for anyone who might not want to pay $50 for an extra checked bag on the plane.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:32 PM, lorajp said:

Not sure if it's available for every cruise, but the NCL app (for our NCL Epic cruise) shows boxes of diapers available to order for $45, and I guess they would be delivered to your room. Maybe that's an option for anyone who might not want to pay $50 for an extra checked bag on the plane.

it would make more sense to stop by the store in Orlando and get a box much cheaper than that.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:30 PM, clcizme said:

3.) Did you bring your car seats for excursions?  Where did you stow them in your room?

when we brought the car seat onboard, we stored it in a closet. That said, our child only needed a no back booster for the taxis, which is not what your kids will need. What kind of excursions are you doing? Through the cruise? Most likely a bus. Or take a taxi somewhere to the beach? Will need a taxi. Keep in mind that many ports of call taxis may not have functioning seat belts or latch anchors. 

What travel seats does your family have?

I highly recommend Cosco Scenera NEXT for the younger ones and something like Evenflo Chase/Maestro for the 3 yo. If the taxi seat belts do not lock, a parent should have a locking clip to use to lock the seat belts. Read the car seat manual prior to traveling and learn to use the clip prior to travel as well, so you are not fumbling with the installation.

image.jpeg.2d82a8c2a0163c8f7fccbf751896e78d.jpeg

They are a couple of bucks on amazon.

It's best to use the car seats on the plane to ensure their safety.

Some of your questions are very Epic specific, so I hope you ask them on the NCL board.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:30 PM, clcizme said:

4.) If you bring a box of diapers, does it count as one of the (2) items you can check or would that be something they don't count?  Also, someone said if you carry it on, you can bring as much as you can carry and put through the X-ray machine, is that accurate?

do you mean the airline check-in?

If you mean a cruise check-in, you are not limited to 2 items. Just make sure to put the luggage label on the box.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Thanks for this response.  We actually decided to leave the car seats behind because they are so much trouble to take along. We booked a travel service from the airport to cruise port that includes car seats and are limiting our excursions to places we can walk to in each port or we will just stay on the ship.  Learned our lesson about traveling with toddlers, unless you do it a lot, the additional 'equipment' is too expensive.  Best to take your own gear, your own car and do your own schedule (or should I say, your toddlers schedule, lol).  This is a family members wedding cruise, so we are all in it for this go around but next time, definitely not cruising, lol.  Maybe when they are older.  : )  Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clcizme said:

next time, definitely not cruising, lol.  Maybe when they are older.  : )

ours started cruising at almost 4 - out of diapers already, and actually large and mature enough to use a booster properly on short taxi rides. It's been a bliss ever since. 🙂

• Haha 1