Excel ships-Dyson hair straighteners and dryers?

I’ve researched this a lot, not much luck finding useful info for th EXCEL SHIPS.   I have the corrale straightener which has the 50-60mhz.  On what I’ve read those should work.  The other Dyson devices are not working based on what I’m seeing.  Can I get some answers for those who have experienced thi?  I would truly appreciate it.  

Thank you

Brooke

16 minutes ago, badgermomof2 said:

Thank you for the info Tim.  

We have a light and small ceramic blow dryer that I suspect won't work.  We'll probably just take the old standby unit on Carnival Jubilee in a few months that we know works on the ships.

8 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

So what’s the issue that they don’t work?

I'm not an electrician so I don't know the "why," but my curling iron would never fully turn on. The light just blinked as if it were trying to heat up. I called my stateroom attendant, but we weren't able to find a solution. Eventually I figured out that if I kept turning it off and back on quickly I could make it work, but it was a pain.

I actually assumed it broke until I got home where it once again worked without issue. Super weird.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

From what I have read (and experienced).  On the Excel Ships they are wired differently. Hairdryers and Styling Tools need to be Dual Voltage 50/60hz to work.  My hairdryer and flat iron are from Lange and are both Dual voltage and I had no issues with them.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, mamiamjo said:

As noted in the two threads linked above, I have commented on the fact that the electronics in these appliances do not like the "floating ground" (where the "ground" and "neutral" are not at the same voltage) that is the way ships are wired.

3 hours ago, LynnTH said:

From what I have read (and experienced).  On the Excel Ships they are wired differently. Hairdryers and Styling Tools need to be Dual Voltage 50/60hz to work.  My hairdryer and flat iron are from Lange and are both Dual voltage and I had no issues with them.

I can guarantee that the Exel class ships are not wired differently than any other cruise ship (or commercial ship for that matter).  As I've stated in the linked threads, the ability of these appliances to work or not generally depends on whether there is a ground fault somewhere, anywhere, on the ship, which the appliance's electronics don't like.  They may work one day, and not the next on the same ship, they may work fine for an entire cruise on one ship, and then not at all on a sister ship.

The appliance needing to be "dual voltage 50/60 Hz" has nothing to do with whether or not it will work.  That just allows you to plug it into either a US (110v) or a European (220v) outlet, and the motor will turn whether the frequency is 50Hz or 60Hz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As noted in the two threads linked above, I have commented on the fact that the electronics in these appliances do not like the "floating ground" (where the "ground" and "neutral" are not at the same voltage) that is the way ships are wired.

I can guarantee that the Exel class ships are not wired differently than any other cruise ship (or commercial ship for that matter).  As I've stated in the linked threads, the ability of these appliances to work or not generally depends on whether there is a ground fault somewhere, anywhere, on the ship, which the appliance's electronics don't like.  They may work one day, and not the next on the same ship, they may work fine for an entire cruise on one ship, and then not at all on a sister ship.

The appliance needing to be "dual voltage 50/60 Hz" has nothing to do with whether or not it will work.  That just allows you to plug it into either a US (110v) or a European (220v) outlet, and the motor will turn whether the frequency is 50Hz or 60Hz.

Ok. I am just going by the many forums I have been on that discussed this.  The only ones that ended up working were those labeled 50/60hz.  So, if anyone wants to make sure they have appliances that work correctly - then I would go with these.   I know my hair would not be happy if my flat iron did not heat up and work.  

I just got off the Celebration 2 weeks ago. I can confirm that there are definite wattage issues. I have a Dyson Air Wrap.  When plugged in, you could hear a low hum (and light on) but it would not turn on... I kept trying and after a few minutes  it did turn on --- almost as if it needed to bank enough electricity first.  I tried multiple outlets in multiple cabins and the exact same thing happened in all.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:24 PM, badgermomof2 said:

I’ve researched this a lot, not much luck finding useful info for th EXCEL SHIPS.   I have the corrale straightener which has the 50-60mhz.  On what I’ve read those should work.  The other Dyson devices are not working based on what I’m seeing.  Can I get some answers for those who have experienced thi?  I would truly appreciate it.  

Thank you

Brooke

Just off the Mardi Gras. Third time on the ship. My Dyson Air Wrap didn’t work last time I was on but then I discovered on another ship if I plugged it into an extension cord first it would. I brought my Air Straight this time and also used the extension cord and it worked fine. My friend’s hair dryer didn’t work in her cabin but I don’t know what kind she has.