Cruisenext - do I have this right?

We are about to sail on our first( in many years) NCL cruise. Optimistically I am assuming I will again sail on NCL in the next couple of years.

If you were  me and understood CN and CF's better than I do -  should I.....

purchase 2 CN certificates on board (it sounds like we would get some OBC on current cruise with purchase?)

we can book a cruise on return using 1 CN, and then, if/when a "Double Up" CN promo comes up, we can apply the second one (for  cruise more than 4 months out)

I can't see any advantage to purchasing CF's over CN's unless you don't have a  cruise to purchase  them on - correct?

CFs are more restrictive than CNs but still a good value if you understand them.

in terms of CNs, it is lure to purchase and spend more onboard.  Some folks fail to understand that when you get a CN and it is half price, say $500 for $250 (for 2 CNs) they give you that $250 off in an OBC.  If you decide oh, look I got half price cents and $250 free money, let’s go spend it!  You’ve fallen into the trap (which is exactly what they hope for). If you want to preserve your discount don’t spend the discount.  It will apply to your account but don’t go out of your way to use it up, unless you’d already decided to use it that way.

• Like 3

Purchase one Cruise Next onboard, forego the kinda sorta onboard credit, and get a second Cruise Next certificate at no additional charge. That's exactly what I did in November. 

As for redeeming...well a whole lot of other experts can tell you about that.

• Thanks 1

The CruiseNext has the best discount if you buy 2 of them while on board. Do not spend the "OBC", since as someone said if you do that, then you paid full price for them. Sometimes, if you have a cruise you're eyeing, the CN rep can try to get you a deal. As an example, I had booked the Hawaii cruise for 2024, but then later decided to do a NE/Canada cruise in Sept 2023. While on the Escape, I acted like I was on the fence for CN certificates and to sweeten the deal, the rep adjusted our existing Hawaii fare lower if I bought the 2 certificates. Sometimes they offer things on the next cruise that you wouldn't get if you later booked direct.

hoEHMnnHhaNVfxVLeJscJwjWgLGUs0KoZaacWLn7wX-BWZT9jzctdibTpU4mfHPLCDb46ciicPeWIfZw9ea8VG0Jrwx-segFnny6qbeMWOr9OmdoAteP9MtfBxrlOkk9IyxAUMBr9QXwJt7dbC9dBKQ

• Thanks 2

Thank you both!

I totally did not get that the "OBC" I read about was that "extra" $250 for the half off of a $500

I kinda now see the NCL's logic- if someone on board thinks they are going to spend  at least $250 on their cruise, might as well get a CN certificate. 

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

The CruiseNext has the best discount if you buy 2 of them while on board. Do not spend the "OBC", since as someone said if you do that, then you paid full price for them. Sometimes, if you have a cruise you're eyeing, the CN rep can try to get you a deal. As an example, I had booked the Hawaii cruise for 2024, but then later decided to do a NE/Canada cruise in Sept 2023. While on the Escape, I acted like I was on the fence for CN certificates and to sweeten the deal, the rep adjusted our existing Hawaii fare lower if I bought the 2 certificates. Sometimes they offer things on the next cruise that you wouldn't get if you later booked direct.

hoEHMnnHhaNVfxVLeJscJwjWgLGUs0KoZaacWLn7wX-BWZT9jzctdibTpU4mfHPLCDb46ciicPeWIfZw9ea8VG0Jrwx-segFnny6qbeMWOr9OmdoAteP9MtfBxrlOkk9IyxAUMBr9QXwJt7dbC9dBKQ

Thanks,

we  do have an eye on another NCL cruise, so will do some homework before we leave on this  one and see if they can sweeten the deal 🤔

• Like 2

You are in uncharted territory with CruiseNext at the moment. They have changed the terms as of 2 weeks ago, so what you are asking to do, with respect to a double-up, is not guaranteed.

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

we can book a cruise on return using 1 CN, and then, if/when a "Double Up" CN promo comes up, we can apply the second one (for  cruise more than 4 months out)

I can't see any advantage to purchasing CF's over CN's unless you don't have a  cruise to purchase  them on - correct?

Terms of the new certificates specifically state that they can't be applied to existing reservations (prior wording was that they could only be used on new bookings). Various opinions of what "new" meant, as in newly booked or simply not past final payment due date. And you've always been able to add a 2nd CN during double up. Triple-up was a little more tricky, as many TA's reported they couldn't add a 3rd certificate but if you were booked through NCL, you could use the website to make a payment.

I haven't gone through all the new terms with a fine-tooth comb, only read what seems to apply to my situation - no guarantees I got it right!

For a NEW reservation:

A CN can be used as a full deposit up to Club Balcony, a CNHC as a full deposit on any stateroom. 2 certificates during a double-up promo.

A CF can be used as a full deposit up to Club Balcony. A $500 CF (when offered) has the advantage that you don't have to wait for a double-up offer - but it would not fully pay for a Haven deposit.

So in each case, you get a 50% discount (unless you are just buying 1 CN), the face value varies from $250-$500. As someone who has been using CN's for many years, I'll probably buy a $500 CF the next time they come around.

BTW, Double-Up for any category is now in effect, through 1/31/24

Edited by julig22
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, julig22 said:

You are in uncharted territory with CruiseNext at the moment. They have changed the terms as of 2 weeks ago, so what you are asking to do, with respect to a double-up, is not guaranteed.

I am looking forward to someone posting on their recent experience trying to double up on a previously booked cruise.   

If you buy a $500 CruiseFirst for $250, you can avoid the OBC hoop-jumping of the CruiseNext.

Plus, you don't have to wait for a CruiseNext Double up to use $500 on a future cruise.

But you have to watch for when they go on sale (the $500 for $250 deal.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If you buy a $500 CruiseFirst for $250, you can avoid the OBC hoop-jumping of the CruiseNext.

We've bought 32 CNs since July, and I never encountered a single hoop.  All but two are applied via double-up promos to future cruises.  I'm just waiting for more 2026 itineraries to post. 😎

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

We've bought 32 CNs since July, and I never encountered a single hoop.  All but two are applied via double-up promos to future cruises.  I'm just waiting for more 2026 itineraries to post. 😎

By hoop-jumping, I'm referring to the confusion that most people have regarding the OBC when buying CruiseNext. With CruiseFirst, there is no such confusion.

31 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

By hoop-jumping, I'm referring to the confusion that most people have regarding the OBC when buying CruiseNext. With CruiseFirst, there is no such confusion.

Yeah, I get that.  They may be better off just buying CruiseFirst.  The rest of us have no problem understanding the simple premise that you pay $250 for CNs and that when the cruise is over you'll only pay $125 each.  Just ignore all the OBC chatter.  It's just noise.  Each of my last cruises I've just walked up to the CN desk and told them both DW and I wanted to buy 8 CNs.  We each signed one place and that was that.  Actually, on the last one, I signed for both of us and DW didn't even have to make the trek.  It took no more than five minutes.  I will be interested in hearing from the first Guinea Pig who applies two CNs purchased after the change to an existing booking during a double up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, julig22 said:

Terms of the new certificates specifically state that they can't be applied to existing reservations (prior wording was that they could only be used on new bookings). Various opinions of what "new" meant, as in newly booked or simply not past final payment due date. And you've always been able to add a 2nd CN during double up. Triple-up was a little more tricky, as many TA's reported they couldn't add a 3rd certificate but if you were booked through NCL, you could use the website to make a payment.

I haven't gone through all the new terms with a fine-tooth comb, only read what seems to apply to my situation - no guarantees I got it right!

For a NEW reservation:

A CN can be used as a full deposit up to Club Balcony, a CNHC as a full deposit on any stateroom. 2 certificates during a double-up promo.

A CF can be used as a full deposit up to Club Balcony. A $500 CF (when offered) has the advantage that you don't have to wait for a double-up offer - but it would not fully pay for a Haven deposit.

So in each case, you get a 50% discount (unless you are just buying 1 CN), the face value varies from $250-$500. As someone who has been using CN's for many years, I'll probably buy a $500 CF the next time they come around.

BTW, Double-Up for any category is now in effect, through 1/31/24

I see that they are now allowing 2 Cruisenext deposits. We booked a cruise for Nov 2024 with one Crusienext deposit and tried to add a second by calling NCL. They said we can't do it. I think we previously had no problem doing so. Is it allowed? Even said we would cancel and rebook - the NCL rep on the phone said you can't do that.....

54 minutes ago, ken8631 said:

I see that they are now allowing 2 Cruisenext deposits. We booked a cruise for Nov 2024 with one Crusienext deposit and tried to add a second by calling NCL. They said we can't do it. I think we previously had no problem doing so. Is it allowed? Even said we would cancel and rebook - the NCL rep on the phone said you can't do that.....

That's what I was afraid of...but not sure why you can't cancel and rebook? CruiseFirst had that restriction but I didn't see it in the new CN terms.

One thing you can try is to go to your MyNCL account and see if you can make a payment there using a CN. But be forwarned - just because it takes it doesn't mean it won't be rejected and returned to your account in a day or 2.

According to a TA that once rudely corrected me on another site when I said you could add them after the fact, it's only because there is a loophole on the website.  But in the past, having my PCC or the CruiseNext folks add a 2nd one was never an issue.

The other question would be what happens if you reprice when the double-up offer isn't in effect.  They've been known to kick back the 2nd certificate if the offer wasn't current. I just repriced an upcoming cruise, but waited until there was a doubleUp offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ken8631 said:

20 minutes ago, julig22 said:

One thing you can try is to go to your MyNCL account and see if you can make a payment there using a CN. But be forwarned - just because it takes it doesn't mean it won't be rejected and returned to your account in a day or 2.

Please let us know if you are going to try @julig22's suggestion by trying to apply it yourself on-line and the outcome.  I really hope it works for you.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:47 PM, vacation44 said:

I am looking forward to someone posting on their recent experience trying to double up on a previously booked cruise.   

We have done that multiple times over the past years. 5+ years.

In fact, we currently have no CN"s in our hopper.

We have three cruises booked currently with one CN applied on each of those even though they qualify for 2.

Our next cruise we will buy more and immediately apply those to the existing reservations.

3 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We have three cruises booked currently with one CN applied on each of those even though they qualify for 2.

Our next cruise we will buy more and immediately apply those to the existing reservations.

The issue is a recent change in the rules, so adding to an existing reservation may no longer be possible.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

I've applied two to existing reservations over a dozen times.  But, as @julig22states, they've outsourced (kind of) and revised the process, so we're looking for a current report of success under the new "rules."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Yes, we have also done this numerous times and also have a few cruises booked with only one CNC on each cabin and planned to buy some more next month to double up and hopefully triple up in the next year.   Now, this might not be allowed so that is why I was inquiring about anyone's recent experience.   

Hopefully, we both will be able to still do it in the future!

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've applied two to existing reservations over a dozen times.  But, as @julig22states, they've outsourced (kind of) and revised the process, so we're looking for a current report of success under the new "rules."

Hmmm.  My most recent addition was right around Christmas for a December '24 cruise that had been booked several months prior and only had 1 CN on it.  Perhaps I picked a good time to plunk my last CN cert in my account down.

Edited by JandC_Cruising

10 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Hmmm.  My most recent addition was right around Christmas for a December '24 cruise that had been booked several months prior and only had 1 CN on it.  Perhaps I picked a good time to plunk my last CN cert in my account down.

As previously stated, this is new, within the last couple of weeks. New terms are effective on certificates bought on cruises beginning 1/11/24. 

5 minutes ago, ken8631 said:

Actually based on someone's comment I tried it and it looks like it worked!  Why would the Princess person tell me it isn't possible??

That is great news.    I hope it does not get kicked back.    Usually, when you call in, the phone representatives will not add the additional certificate.   I have also always applied them myself directly.

Thank you for updating us.