Bill Board on Board changing formats

iflyrc5

On 2/5/2024 at 12:49 AM, Queenvee said:

Glad to see that the change to a solo pianist has actually happened!  Lots of seats around the piano, which are always popular.

There were no changes to the seating - they just removed the piano

On 2/10/2024 at 2:52 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

Past experience would tell me that this isn't true but there is no doubt that you really enjoyed the evening because you were part of the show.  This is the same as the elimination of the Lincoln Center performers, cost cutting at it's worst.  Both are cost cutting at features that were enjoyed by many passengers and the performances were packed every night.  Shame on HAL for cost cutting on things that brought people on board the ships. 

Here's an idea.  Maybe HAL should eliminate all live piano players.  Maybe they should generate an AI based Barry, they would pay Barry one time, and an artificial Barry would perform with a computer operated piano.  People can then talk to an image of Barry on the screen and the computer will respond the same way Barry would have and then the computer will play the same sing-a-long songs.  No need for breaks and the computer can perform continuously all evening until the last person leaves the bar.  HAL can call it Barry on Board.

Please note that this is not an attack on Barry.  I'm sure he's a great guy and a great performer and HAL could select any piano player.  For more money maybe they could generate an AI version of  Billy Joel and have Billy on Board.  

Maybe HAL can even make some money from this concept.  The only way you would get Barry or Billy's attention is through your Navigator app and of course 4 and 5 star Mariners would get priority.  It would cost $5 to talk to Barry and $10 to have your song selected.  This could be another great way to use up non-refundable OBC.

I hope everyone enjoys the sing-a-longs.  Karaoke anyone?

I have no idea what your problem is. I have seen the piano bars with people singing along. Sometimes, if I know the words, I join the singing. You should not be putting people down BECAUSE YOU do not like the show. Leave the venue if you do not like singalongs.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

I have no idea what your problem is. I have seen the piano bars with people singing along. Sometimes, if I know the words, I join the singing. You should not be putting people down BECAUSE YOU do not like the show. Leave the venue if you do not like singalongs.

Jim

I am confused.  Please explain to me why I can't have the opinion that I don't like the new concept and I believe that it's only being done for cost cutting and not because they think it's an improvement?  I also don't like it when entertainers make the guests part of the show.   It has nothing to do with any particular person.  I'm sure it was great for them. For me and the rest of the guests, not so much.  Why can't I have that opinion?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but please stop the personal attacks.  

BTW, you don't need to yell.

Folks, "I Pee In The Pools" is just trolling us to see how long this thread can be kept going.  Look at the screen name.  We've said whether we like or dislike single or dual pianos. HAL has their own opinion, which we will eventually discover.  Let's close this out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JennysUncle said:

Folks, "I Pee In The Pools" is just trolling us to see how long this thread can be kept going.  Look at the screen name.  We've said whether we like or dislike single or dual pianos. HAL has their own opinion, which we will eventually discover.  Let's close this out.

Please stop with the personal attacks.

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I also don't like it when entertainers make the guests part of the show.   It has nothing to do with any particular person.  I'm sure it was great for them. For me [and the rest of the guests], not so much.  Why can't I have that opinion?

Delete the part in red and you've got YOUR opinion. 

It seems to me that most of the "rest of the guests" don't mind, or even enjoy it.

From how you've described it, I'm not even sure that you know how HAL did it in the past. It's not like some cheesy karaoke night.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Delete the part in red and you've got YOUR opinion. 

It seems to me that most of the "rest of the guests" don't mind, or even enjoy it.

From how you've described it, I'm not even sure that you know how HAL did it in the past. It's not like some cheesy karaoke night.

Hold on a minute.  I have experienced many different type of performances where the guests interact with the performers and none of them were memorable.  The people that were with me felt the same way.   I'm not sure how you would know how my acquaintances felt about those performances.   Other  guests include a lot more than the handful of people following this thread.  In any case, I'm sailing in a few weeks and I'll be sure to let you know what people think.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I am confused.  Please explain to me why I can't have the opinion that I don't like the new concept and I believe that it's only being done for cost cutting and not because they think it's an improvement?  I also don't like it when entertainers make the guests part of the show.   It has nothing to do with any particular person.  I'm sure it was great for them. For me and the rest of the guests, not so much.  Why can't I have that opinion?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but please stop the personal attacks.  

BTW, you don't need to yell.

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. We all do. Some people on this thread enjoy the singalongs and you keep saying that "most people do not enjoy them". How do you know what most people want? Have to talked to most people? You have not talked to me or many of the others who enjoy the singalongs. Find or start another thread to vent your opinions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. We all do. Some people on this thread enjoy the singalongs and you keep saying that "most people do not enjoy them". How do you know what most people want? Have to talked to most people? You have not talked to me or many of the others who enjoy the singalongs. Find or start another thread to vent your opinions.

You really need to re-read my posts.  True I don't like sing-a-longs but I never talked about how many people would like sing-a-longs.  But the topic grew to how much individual guests became a part of the program.  People then talked about how they played a game with the performer.  That's what I said guests would not appreciate as much as that individual guest.  I'm sure you have zero desire to watch me play a game with the performer and as entertaining as I am, that would not be memorable for most guests.  I also have zero desire to spend time watching you interact with the performer.  That's what my most guests comment referenced and I stand by that statement.  

17 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You really need to re-read my posts.  True I don't like sing-a-longs but I never talked about how many people would like sing-a-longs.  But the topic grew to how much individual guests became a part of the program.  People then talked about how they played a game with the performer.  That's what I said guests would not appreciate as much as that individual guest.  I'm sure you have zero desire to watch me play a game with the performer and as entertaining as I am, that would not be memorable for most guests.  I also have zero desire to spend time watching you interact with the performer.  That's what my most guests comment referenced and I stand by that statement.  

Your words:

"I'm sure it was memorable for you but not so much for the other guests." "For me and the rest of the guests, not so much." Enough said.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:34 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I have no desire to attend a performance where you or any other guest is part of the performance and listen to you or any other guest play games.  I'm sure it was memorable for you but not so much for the other guests.

11 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Your words:

"I'm sure it was memorable for you but not so much for the other guests." "For me and the rest of the guests, not so much." Enough said.

You really need to quote all of "my words".    Please read and quote my entire post instead of removing part of the post.  My comment referenced guests interacting with the performer and becoming part of the performance.  Most guests won't enjoy watching you or me playing games or interacting with the performer.  I stand by that comment unless you are going to tell me that you would enjoy watching me be part of the performance.

Enough said.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You really need to quote all of "my words".    Please read and quote my entire post instead of removing part of the post.  My comment referenced guests interacting with the performer and becoming part of the performance.  Most guests won't enjoy watching you or me playing games or interacting with the performer.  I stand by that comment unless you are going to tell me that you would enjoy watching me be part of the performance.

Enough said.

Wrong again. I will not respond to any more of your insults.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:32 AM, montythecat said:

Well, what a sad picture that was. The one with a 

single piano on Rotterdam. I genuinely do hope

HAL have a re-think. This isn’t just a musical issue

but an entertainment one deriving from the 

interaction between the two pianists. I really

can’t believe that HAL’s finances are such that 

this type of penny pinching is necessary.

I think that one piano vs two doesn't matter. It's the talent behind the piano(s) and their ability to attract people that matter. 

I feel that Billboard Onboard and Rolling Stone is a weird concept together in one space. You have piano players playing cheesy oldies and a rock and roll band playing hard classic rock. Last week on NS we would stay in our seat for the entire 4.5 hours and talk through the Rolling Stone performance and listen/participate in the Billboard performance.

The audience does really influence the performance in Billboard. A very old crowd can fill the all request night with ballads, like it did last Friday, where as a few younger people in the audience can make the set completely different and feature songs that only they know. 

Something tells me that the BO space will be reconfigured and they will turn the Ocean Bar into a piano bar, move BB Kings to the BO and make the current BB kings into a permanent space for non-musical acts. But what do I know? Nothing!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, JennysUncle said:

Yes close out the piano issues. HAL makes the decision! 

Edited by Wasasalad
  • Like 1