Rottnest Island advice needed

We will be on a cruise that ends in Freemantle with an overnight before we disembark. ย We would like to go to Rottnest Island for the day. ย The problem is that I am still recovering from a torn tendon in my ankle. ย I have worked hard with PT to get up to walking about 2 km but not much more than that. ย I canโ€™t ride bikes nor snorkel with fins. ย When I look at options for the visit, I am a bit overwhelmed. ย Can anyone suggest a plan for the day that would be a nice lazy visit that wouldnโ€™t require too much walking.

ย 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We will be on a cruise that ends in Freemantle with an overnight before we disembark. ย We would like to go to Rottnest Island for the day. ย The problem is that I am still recovering from a torn tendon in my ankle. ย I have worked hard with PT to get up to walking about 2 km but not much more than that. ย I canโ€™t ride bikes nor snorkel with fins. ย When I look at options for the visit, I am a bit overwhelmed. ย Can anyone suggest a plan for the day that would be a nice lazy visit that wouldnโ€™t require too much walking.

ย 

Thanks!

There is info about accessibility options on the official Rottnest website that might get you started on ideas.ย 
https://www.rottnestisland.com/visit/accessibility

You wonโ€™t need to walk very farโ€ฆthere is a bus service thatโ€™s does a loop around the island, you can get off, go for a swim, get back on again at different stops. It will give you enough time to do this. Check the schedule on Rottnest Island webpage. Its a great way to see the sights all around the island, no need to get off of you donโ€™t want to.

ย 

the village of Rottnest is all within short walking distance, e.g, ferry to hotel, to supermarket to bakery, less than 10 minutes walk.

ย 

it is a great day trip from Perth city (or from Fremantle) The good part of getting the ferry from Perth, you cruise all the way down the Swan River, very scenic cruisingโ€ฆthen thru the port of Fremantle to cruise to Rottnest.ย 
ย 

you wonโ€™t be disappointed but you will if you do not go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rottnest Island is definitely worth a visit even if it's just to see the quokkas. The buses are a very good option, my days of cycling on Rottnest are overย ๐Ÿ˜€.

Enjoy your visit when you get there

• Like 2

there is also a little open sided train that goes to the historical war site, includes an optional guided tourย  which was very good.

ย 

You would have to be able to cope with a few stairs going underground though

ย 

https://www.rottnestisland.com/see-do/culture-history/captain-hussey-historical-train-tour?tab=see-do

ย 

ย 

8 hours ago, Kristelle said:

there is also a little open sided train that goes to the historical war site, includes an optional guided tourย  which was very good.

ย 

You would have to be able to cope with a few stairs going underground though

ย 

https://www.rottnestisland.com/see-do/culture-history/captain-hussey-historical-train-tour?tab=see-do

ย 

ย 

Thanks! ย Sounds interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

We're looking at doing Rottnest Island while we are in Freemantle for the day.

We'll be docked from 7am - 5pm.

ย 

While we could possible catch the 7:30am ferry, the 9 am is more realistic, putting us on the island at 9:30 am.

ย 

We'd need to be on the 2:30pm returning to Freemantle at 3 pm.

(the next return is 4pm, arriving in Freemantle at 4:30 pm.... with an all-aboard at 4:30 that's cutting it a little to close for comfort!).

ย 

So, my question:ย  ย we'd have about 5 hours on the island, 9:30am - 2:30 pm.ย  ย Is that enough to enjoy it, or would we be better off doing something in Freemantle or Perth?

ย 

Thanks,

Mary

ย 

ย 

8 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

We're looking at doing Rottnest Island while we are in Freemantle for the day.

We'll be docked from 7am - 5pm.

ย 

While we could possible catch the 7:30am ferry, the 9 am is more realistic, putting us on the island at 9:30 am.

ย 

We'd need to be on the 2:30pm returning to Freemantle at 3 pm.

(the next return is 4pm, arriving in Freemantle at 4:30 pm.... with an all-aboard at 4:30 that's cutting it a little to close for comfort!).

ย 

So, my question:ย  ย we'd have about 5 hours on the island, 9:30am - 2:30 pm.ย  ย Is that enough to enjoy it, or would we be better off doing something in Freemantle or Perth?

ย 

Thanks,

Mary

ย 

ย 

What time of year will it be Mary, I'm guessing during warm weather? I think 5 hours would be OK but you need to decide if the cost of the ferry is worth it to you. Another option could be a scenic cruise between Fremantle (not Freemantle) and Perth but you might want to spend some time on landย ๐Ÿ™‚.

7 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

What time of year will it be Mary, I'm guessing during warm weather? I think 5 hours would be OK but you need to decide if the cost of the ferry is worth it to you. Another option could be a scenic cruise between Fremantle (not Freemantle) and Perth but you might want to spend some time on landย ๐Ÿ™‚.

Thank you for this advice - definitely something to consider. ย 
ย 

And thanks also for catching my spelling error; Iโ€™m usually pretty good about getting names right, but not this time ๐Ÿ˜Š

So Iโ€™ve been pronouncing Fremantle the way I spelled it, FREE-mantle. ย  ย Whatโ€™s the proper way to say it?

ย 

Best,

Mary

7 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thank you for this advice - definitely something to consider. ย 
ย 

And thanks also for catching my spelling error; Iโ€™m usually pretty good about getting names right, but not this time ๐Ÿ˜Š

So Iโ€™ve been pronouncing Fremantle the way I spelled it, FREE-mantle. ย  ย Whatโ€™s the proper way to say it?

ย 

Best,

Mary

Freemantle is the correct way to pronounce it but there is no emphasis on the free. It is not said as Free Mantle.

• Thanks 1

If you decide to stay in Fremantle, one suggestion would be to see Fremantle prison - old prison, now historical site, from convict era.

ย 

Several guided tours.

ย 

Underground tunnels one was really good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Freemantle is the correct way to pronounce it but there is no emphasis on the free. It is not said as Free Mantle.

Lol no - former WA local here - it's actually pronounced "fruh"mantle !! Freo (freeoh) for short.ย 

• Thanks 1