Transport to LHR Hotel on Bath Road

We’re flying in to LHR two days prior to our NCL cruise out of Southampton.  We were going to use the NCL Hotel/transfer package.  But, they said they had no hotels in Southampton and were using the Millennium Gloucester in Kensington.  But, that would be $1200!  So, our TA recommended we get a hotel by LHR and just use their transfers on the day of the cruise.  I know there are other opinions.  But, that ship has sailed (see what I did there 😉?).

My question is how easy is it to use the buses from Terminal 3( I assume that’s where we’ll arrive from Philly) to the Marriott on Bath Road with luggage?

Then, if we want to do day trips into London proper, would it be best to just get back on the bus to an airport terminal and take the tube in?  I don’t see on the map where there’s a tube station along Bath Road.

Lastly, any idea where we pick up the NCL transfer from LHR to the cruise port?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cobra1365 said:

We’re flying in to LHR two days prior to our NCL cruise out of Southampton.  We were going to use the NCL Hotel/transfer package.  But, they said they had no hotels in Southampton and were using the Millennium Gloucester in Kensington.  But, that would be $1200!  So, our TA recommended we get a hotel by LHR and just use their transfers on the day of the cruise.  I know there are other opinions.  But, that ship has sailed (see what I did there 😉?).

My question is how easy is it to use the buses from Terminal 3( I assume that’s where we’ll arrive from Philly) to the Marriott on Bath Road with luggage?

Then, if we want to do day trips into London proper, would it be best to just get back on the bus to an airport terminal and take the tube in?  I don’t see on the map where there’s a tube station along Bath Road.

Thanks!

Save yourself a lot a money book on your own .

2 hours ago, Cobra1365 said:

So, our TA recommended we get a hotel by LHR and just use their transfers on the day of the cruise.  I know there are other opinions.  But, that ship has sailed ...

Your TA's advice is bad advice. Of the three main options, staying at an airport hotel for two nights (when you want to see some of London) is the least good. Commuting between the airport and a Bath Road hotel (because that's essentially what you'll be doing) will be either time-consuming and aggravating, or expensive, or both. This includes the day of your cruise, because if you use the NCL transfer from the airport to Southampton, you will probably have to go from your hotel back to the/a terminal at the airport. Why is it too late for you to change your plans?

Also, is there a reason for your assumption that you'll arrive at T3? All other things being equal, there's as much chance of you arriving at T5 as at T3.

The main reason we’re now doing this is we’re part of a group of four couples.  Since they’re all staying there, we decided to join them rather than be “that couple” that had to be different.  So, we’ll eat the pain and I will hold it over their heads forever more! 😄

Yes, there is a Marriott on Bath Road

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/lhrhr-london-heathrow-marriott-hotel/overview/

No shuttle provided by the hotel, but local buses to all terminals.

NB The "Hotel Hoppa" bus service is over-priced

No, there's no tube station on or near Bath Road.

So you'd need to return to any Heathrow terminal (T2/T3 is most convenient) for a tube train into central London

Alternatively, there are hotels attached to all Heathrow terminals, and several a short walk from Terminal 4.

For a ship's coach transfer to Southampton on sailing day you'd need to choose a Heathrow terminal and book with NCL from there. Then present yourselves in that arrivals hall (NCL or their ground handler's will be near where fliers come out of customs.)

Or for broadly the same service at a fraction of the cost you can pre-book a coach from Heathrow central bus station for Ts 2 & 3 or from the terminal concourses of T4 or T5. Add about £10 for a taxi from Southampton coach station to ship.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en  

--------------------------------------------

Hotels in airport-land are rather soul-less and they ain't "London" or even "England".

Recommended for a single night, not recommended  for 3 nights plus, for your two nights there are pros & cons & personal preferences.

So for two nights it's worth considering a central London hotel. It will avoid duplicated travelling and give you convenient evenings in the city.

In London Victoria for Nat Express coach, or tube + taxi from LHR. Then NCL's transfer coach - or again Nat. Express bus at a fraction of the cost - from Victoria coach station to Southampton.

In London Paddington for quick train or tube from LHR but more complicated from there to Southampton

In London Waterloo / County Hall for frequent, fast and (with pre-booked "advance" tickets) cheap trains direct to Southampton. But a little more complicated from LHR. Again about £10 taxi from Southampton central station to ship.

Instead of a simple transfer to Southampton on the morning that you sail, you can take a coach tour-transfer from your central London or LHR hotel to your ship in Southampton via either Windsor or Stonehenge. Independently-operated by well-established, reputable, and recommended by many Cruise Critic members,  International Friends run the tour-transfer specifically for those on your cruise. https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html 

Or, if you've already been to London or you expect to go in the future, go direct from LHR to Southampton by Nat. Express. Southampton city centre hotels from about £70 per night, restaurants & pubs  at locals' prices & no add-ons. Enough in the city to keep you amused for the day, or a selection of places incl Bath, Winchester, Portsmouth,  for a day-trip within an hour by train..

A useful London website for your LHR, London & Southampton logistics

https://www.londontoolkit.com/

JB 🙂

1 hour ago, Cobra1365 said:

The main reason we’re now doing this is we’re part of a group of four couples.  Since they’re all staying there, we decided to join them rather than be “that couple” that had to be different.  So, we’ll eat the pain and I will hold it over their heads forever more! 😄

Even with 4 couples it should be fairly easy to move the reservations to a convenient London hotel, and you might find that a private transfer for the 8 of you from there to your ship might be cheaper than 8 seats on the NCL transfer (not to mention all the rest of the transportation costs of getting into and out of London to airport land multiple times).

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  We’re talking to the other couples.  We are now deciding whether to get a hotel in London proper and sight see or get a hotel in Southampton.

some in the group have never been to London.  Personally, I prefer getting a National Express coach when we land and head straight to Southampton.  Several decent looking hotels close by the coach station and an easy taxi lift over to the port.

We’ll see what the group wants to do.