Tequila tasting in Puerto Vallarta but also kid friendly?

Kathamo

I've got a sort of impossible ask: Where can I enjoy a good quality tequila tasting in Puerto Vallarta at a venue that is kid-friendly? With food so the kids have something to do? A foodie-friendly restaurant with a tequila flight or food pairing and a knowledgeable server would be sufficient, or a tequila bar with tasting flights and food. We don't need a multi-hour educational experience. Bonus points if it's near the Macelón boardwalk.

We've got three adults and two 6-year-old boys. The boys are loud talkers but they know how to get through an hour or two by entertaining each other and coloring, etc.

Our in-port time is only 6 hours, so we want to do something chill, within a reasonable distance from port, that doesn't take too much time. So far we're thinking:

• A trip to the Butterfly Sanctuary Mariposario (2 hours including transportation?)
  • Tequila tasting and lunch (1.5 hours?)
  • Walk along the Macelón boardwalk (1 hour including transportation back to port?)

Any thoughts from experienced visitors?

Edited by Kathamo

I might have an answer to your impossible quest.  This excursion has plenty of tequila for the adults, and includes walking in El Centro, visiting the Church, jewelry shopping, lunch, a great show and tequila tasting.  The kids will really enjoy the show.   

My wife and I don’t drink.  But we took a tour called “Tequila Tasting, Mayahuel Experience” in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. 

There were about 45 of us taking the tour, and the bus was pretty full.  There were two guides plus the driver.  They gave out a free tequila shot to everyone.  They offered an unlimited tequila pass for the entire tour.  

The bus dropped us off  downtown, in El Centro by the Lighthouse.  We walked a very short distance to the Seahorse.  A group of Indian dancers walking along the Malecon performed for tips.  Our group then walked up towards the Cathedral, stopping at Marino y Marino Jewelry Store, where free margaritas were offered.  I do not know if Marina y Marina pays off the tour company for bringing us in – I assume so based on prior experience.    I do not know if they made any sales to any of our group.

Then, we walked up to the Church.  We had plenty of time as tourists.  Then, we boarded the bus and were taken a short distance to the Mango Beach Club for lunch.  Lunch was included in our excursion price, but not drinks.  The guides had warned us of the cost of margaritas at Mango Beach Club, and no one at our table ordered anything but soda ($3US each).  Lunch was a salad, tacos (beef, chicken or pork), a quesadella.  Lunch was a buffet-line, not table-service.  The food was good.  The restaurant and the restrooms were clean.  The servers were friendly.  

Next, we walked about a block or two up the street to the Vallarta Theater/Tequila Sales Room.  They gave out free samples, about a thimbleful of various flavored tequilas.  Finally, they opened the theater and we went in. [The tequila Sales Room is the lobby of the theater.]

Mayahuela was an amazing show, sort of Cirque De Solie in style.  Dancing, special effects [fire dancing], drama, acrobatics [both seesaw and trampoline, a la CDS, plus some aerial].   

After the show, they played several movies of tequila making, and explained the differences among four types of tequila.  They then brought to each of us a “flight” of four tequilas, a bottle of water and a cracker to cleanse the palate between the four samples. 

There was then time for more sales of bottles of tequila, and then the bus ride back to the pier.   Some of the people stayed in El Centro for some personal time; they made their way back to the ship on their own.  

I did not really notice the number of tequila shots that were offered to the guests, and I have no idea of the quality of the tequilas offered. 

Overall, the tour was very good.  The price ($100 per person) was reasonable.  I noticed a few weeks later that the price had been reduced, but I was pleased with the tour at $100 pp.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite places to eat in PV for lunch or dinner is Barcelona Tapas.  It is a bit north of the malecon up on the hill with great views of the bay.  It's a very lively atmosphere and as a result would be a good place to go with kids.

I doubt they have any specific tequila flights, but the proper tasting order is from light to dark - blanco/silver, joven/gold, reposado/aged, anejo/more aged.  I would think any waiter could help you out if you want to try 4 drinks over lunch.  Just make sure everything is 100% agave.

BTW - I would make reservations in advanced as it is a popular restaurant in my experience: https://barcelonatapas.net/restaurante-puerto-vallarta/

Edited by SelectSys
  • Thanks 1