Not using Starlink in port ?

Currently on the Eurodam, with Starlink antennas. Very good speed at sea but seems much worse in ports. I just ran an Ookla speed test, and it says it is connecting through a shore side service.Maybe some contractual issue.Screenshot_20240130-104140.thumb.png.1fe84dc0fb2d736c34fa9bc45d9b5b60.png

1 hour ago, JennysUncle said:

Currently on the Eurodam, with Starlink antennas. Very good speed at sea but seems much worse in ports. I just ran an Ookla speed test, and it says it is connecting through a shore side service.Maybe some contractual issue.

When alongside you are now sharing the available bandwidth of the visible sats with the port residents. Since it is unlikely you have more sats visible, in port than a few miles offshore, the speed will drop.

At sea, if in an area with good coverage, you are only sharing with the pax, crew and ship's business.

• Like 2

The Starlink Availability Map shows it’s unavailable in your area.  There may also be limitations with regard to the type of service plan subscribed to.  We’d have to see the contract in order to understand usage and restrictions.

IMG_1039.thumb.jpeg.0222fb5a417f91d43873a4b3c3214918.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The Starlink Availability Map shows it’s unavailable in your area.  There may also be limitations with regard to the type of service plan subscribed to.  We’d have to see the contract in order to understand usage and restrictions.

Great to see that map. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

It's good to have an esim as a backup, if your plan doesn't cover international roaming. I think I bought one for $8 for 1GB for 3 days in Mexico on my last cruise. It also helps if you're exploring on shore, because you can look up things to do, places to eat, and to use maps to get around. I've even ordered a Mexican Uber that way, since you don't get gouged or have to haggle, as you do with taxis. 

• Thanks 1