Anyone tried the FLL airport Fit Walking Path?

polyesther

On the Broward County website, it says there is a 1.3 mile walking path located on the upper level that connects the various terminals. We have a ton of time to kill after our cruise and before our flight leaves and would like to walk between the terminals to get to a lounge, grab food, etc. Anyone tried the walking path before and have feedback they’d like to share? Also open to any other suggestions on things to do at FLL airport to kill time.

(Edit to add: our plan is to disembark as late as we can, Uber to FLL airport, use Bags To Go to store our luggage since the airline check-in counters may not be open that early, go through security to hang out in a lounge/grab food/walk the path until it’s time to check in.)

On 1/31/2024 at 3:47 PM, DaveOKC said:

If you are referring to the indoor walking area between all the terminals, it is somewhat new and quite nice IMO.  Some areas have shops and dining.  

Before or after security?

FLL has free wifi and an electronic library with free access for passengers. We usually bring our stuff (books, tablet, nintendo switch), but it's nice to have a backup plan.

We usually have a late afternoon or early eve flight, since Spirit has discontinued 12 and 2 pm flights from FLL to ATL. So, we disembark as late as possible, get to the airport by 10 - 11 am, drop off luggage (if it's not Thanksgiving Sunday, they usually let you check the luggage in before 4 hours before the flight), go through security, and then chill at the gate. 

Since we usually have our heavy backpacks with us, we don't all go walking around at the same time. First, DH and DS go around and buy a bottled drink or two, visit the Lego store, etc. Then DS and I walk over to the food court through the very nice walkway with art displays and get something for the family. For the rest of the time I read, DS plays on the Switch, DH browses reddit and listens to music.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We usually have a late afternoon or early eve flight, since Spirit has discontinued 12 and 2 pm flights from FLL to ATL. So, we disembark as late as possible, get to the airport by 10 - 11 am, drop off luggage (if it's not Thanksgiving Sunday, they usually let you check the luggage in before 4 hours before the flight), go through security, and then chill at the gate. 

Anyone flying out of FLL on a Saturday or Sunday during the high season (Christmas through April) when there can be 7 or more ships in port, check with your airline if you plan to check luggage more than 2 hours before the flight's departure.

This is from the FLL official website https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/pages/cruisepassengers.aspx:

Due to peak cruise travel activity with multiple ships in South Florida ports, airlines at FLL may only be able to check your bags up to two hours before your scheduled flight. This is necessary to ensure that all passengers receive their luggage at their final destination. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Dropping off bags rules seem to vary by airline, agent and class of service.  Usually 3 or 4 hours, but sometimes they will let you slide on this.

When I posted that info a couple of weeks ago, @antmaril posted their recent experience (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2984956-check-in-time-for-ft-lauderdale-airport-post-cruise/#comment-66788130)

We flew home from FLL yesterday (Jan 20).  Our flight was at Noon and we arrived at the airport around 8:40 a.m. (We were on the Sky Princess). I was holding my breath when the guard asked me our flight time.  Fortunately, she let us go through.  FLL was pretty calm yesterday,  The last time I was there (February 1, 2020), it was chaos.  

I asked what terminal and airline.

We flew out of Terminal 2.  The guard did not ask our airline, just the time.  

56 minutes ago, capriccio said:

When I posted that info a couple of weeks ago, @antmaril posted their recent experience (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2984956-check-in-time-for-ft-lauderdale-airport-post-cruise/#comment-66788130)

We flew home from FLL yesterday (Jan 20).  Our flight was at Noon and we arrived at the airport around 8:40 a.m. (We were on the Sky Princess). I was holding my breath when the guard asked me our flight time.  Fortunately, she let us go through.  FLL was pretty calm yesterday,  The last time I was there (February 1, 2020), it was chaos.  

I asked what terminal and airline.

We flew out of Terminal 2.  The guard did not ask our airline, just the time.  

what guard? No guard ever asked us anything, and we always get to FLL airport a good 4-8 hours before the flight...

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what guard? No guard ever asked us anything, and we always get to FLL airport a good 4-8 hours before the flight...

I have no idea but the original quote is from the official Airport website.  In the past I have read here on CC that luggage was not allowed to be checked until a couple of hours before flight time during the high season but not about restricting access to to the building.  Maybe they realized that there is no space outside of security for hundreds and hundreds of people waiting with their luggage?  I have arrived around 9:30 on an inbound weekend flight to FLL and seen the mass of humanity trying to get thru check-in and security and thanked my lucky stars I was headed in the opposite direction.

29 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I have no idea but the original quote is from the official Airport website.  In the past I have read here on CC that luggage was not allowed to be checked until a couple of hours before flight time during the high season but not about restricting access to to the building.  Maybe they realized that there is no space outside of security for hundreds and hundreds of people waiting with their luggage?  I have arrived around 9:30 on an inbound weekend flight to FLL and seen the mass of humanity trying to get thru check-in and security and thanked my lucky stars I was headed in the opposite direction.

Can get into building to wait.  Just sometimes cannot check bags early.

26 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I have no idea but the original quote is from the official Airport website.  In the past I have read here on CC that luggage was not allowed to be checked until a couple of hours before flight time during the high season but not about restricting access to to the building. 

Spirit only limited our luggage drop off to 4 hours or less during the very high season. We came back on Thanksgiving Sat on our last cruise and I was very worried, but the Spirit person told us that they will limit it to 4 hours on Sunday because it was the busiest day. Spirit also limited our luggage drop off to 4 hours or less on Easter weekend out of MCO in 2021.

But we were never limited to 2 hours. But, of course, my experience is limited to Spirit.... We sometimes score a flight with a different airline to MIA/MCO/FLL, but it seems that it's only Spirit on the way back. 🙂