Advice on Disembarking in Civitavecchia

Copper2031

I am looking for advice on disembarking in Chivitavecchia on June 1st.  I think I will reserve a private transfer from port to our hotel in Rome. Disembarkment time is listed as 8 am and I’m wondering if we must be off at 8 am and what time I should set for the car service to pick us up. Can we take our luggage with us or is it better to have the ship take our luggage off for us. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you!! 

You will most likely dock well before disembarkation time.  8:30 or 9:00 sounds more reasonable to 'have to' be off the ship. I would set a pick-up time for 8:30.  The port can get very congested.

I cannot speak for Oceania, but on other European cruises, we were able to walk off with our own luggage.

Edited by Iamthesea

FYI - You did not say what day of the week.  Week days are known for a lot of traffic getting into Rome.  If you are disembarking on a week day, best to ask your driver what the best time is for pick-up.  Have you been to Rome before?  If not, you may want to get off earlier to have time to see some sights.

We have used a few different transport companies to get us to and from Civitavecchia.

We hired a private driver/guide for our excursion to Rome off Riviera (11/2023). He met us right at the gangplank and we drove off immediately after getting of the ship. But we were just there for the day, not embarking or disembarking.

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

FYI - You did not say what day of the week.  Week days are known for a lot of traffic getting into Rome.  If you are disembarking on a week day, best to ask your driver what the best time is for pick-up.  Have you been to Rome before?  If not, you may want to get off earlier to have time to see some sights.

We have used a few different transport companies to get us to and from Civitavecchia.

I didn’t think of that. June 1st is a Saturday so hopefully the traffic may be better then during the week. We haven’t been to Rome, this will be our first visit. We’ll be staying four days which isn’t enough to see everything but it'll just make us want to go back another time. I’m looking at Rome Cabs as they get good reviews on CC.  Do you have any suggestions?  

Thank you very much for your reply and help!! 

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

We hired a private driver/guide for our excursion to Rome off Riviera (11/2023). He met us right at the gangplank and we drove off immediately after getting of the ship. But we were just there for the day, not embarking or disembarking.

Thank you! How nice to have the driver/guide pick you up right at the ship.  I’m thinking a private transfer will make life easier then taking the train. 

We have used Rome Cabs a few times.  Actually used them as a pick-up and guide on our first trip to Rome.  We have used Rome in Limo (touring also), and on the last visit to Rome, we used Roma Shuttle Airport https://www.romashuttleairport.it/  Excellent service!  We used them for 4 different types of transfers during a month long trip.  The owner was our driver.

Please consider letting the staff take your luggage down to the terminal. It will be much easier. Toting one's luggage may entail steps within the ship or ramps disembarking. 

Too many passengers choose to remove their own luggage and it creates chaos in the elevators and hallways on the ship.

A disembarkation time of 8:30 to 9:00 is very reasonable and less crowded than anything earlier.

We have used Rome in Limo and recommend them too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We have used Rome Cabs a few times.  Actually used them as a pick-up and guide on our first trip to Rome.  We have used Rome in Limo (touring also), and on the last visit to Rome, we used Roma Shuttle Airport https://www.romashuttleairport.it/  Excellent service!  We used them for 4 different types of transfers during a month long trip.  The owner was our driver.

Great! I will look at all of them. Thank you so much! 

8 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Please consider letting the staff take your luggage down to the terminal. It will be much easier. Toting one's luggage may entail steps within the ship or ramps disembarking. 

Too many passengers choose to remove their own luggage and it creates chaos in the elevators and hallways on the ship.

A disembarkation time of 8:30 to 9:00 is very reasonable and less crowded than anything earlier.

We have used Rome in Limo and recommend them too.

I believe we will do as you suggest with our luggage. I do not want to be the cause or part of any chaos. Thank you very much! 

• Like 1

We recently got off in Rome (on a Viking cruise).  I had looked ahead of time for transport into the city, but was not able to book anything.

Maybe just pure luck, but we talked to the people inside the "terminal" and they immediately called someone to come and take us.  They said that there are certain companies that are allowed inside the port gates and they called one of them.  We had 8 people + luggage and they came in a mid Mercedes van.  Didn't have to wait long at all. We were staying very close to Vatican City, and on a Friday morning, it only took between 60-90 minutes.  Did not seem like traffic was very bad at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taiwan_girl said:

We recently got off in Rome (on a Viking cruise).  I had looked ahead of time for transport into the city, but was not able to book anything.

Maybe just pure luck, but we talked to the people inside the "terminal" and they immediately called someone to come and take us.  They said that there are certain companies that are allowed inside the port gates and they called one of them.  We had 8 people + luggage and they came in a mid Mercedes van.  Didn't have to wait long at all. We were staying very close to Vatican City, and on a Friday morning, it only took between 60-90 minutes.  Did not seem like traffic was very bad at all.

That is all very good info for us. Thank you so much!