Significant Itinerary change on Venture - March 18/19 Cap Verde to Malaga

Dusko

Just been advised that two ports, St Louis in Senegal and Tan Tan in Morocco have been removed from the itinerary. We’ve now got an additional sea day and we’re off to Tenerife for the day, presumably on the beach.  Not thrilled about it as the expedition ships are not the best for sea days and 5/14 is too many.  Also wanted to do this trip because I am interested in Isle de Gore and Morocco.  Nothing to be done I’m sure since Seabourn always have the right to alter the itinerary.  Port Congestion is given as the reason. Hopefully we get free drinks to compensate 🫠.

17 hours ago, Dusko said:

Just been advised that two ports, St Louis in Senegal and Tan Tan in Morocco have been removed from the itinerary. We’ve now got an additional sea day and we’re off to Tenerife for the day, presumably on the beach.  Not thrilled about it as the expedition ships are not the best for sea days and 5/14 is too many.  Also wanted to do this trip because I am interested in Isle de Gore and Morocco.  Nothing to be done I’m sure since Seabourn always have the right to alter the itinerary.  Port Congestion is given as the reason. Hopefully we get free drinks to compensate 🫠.

Wel, there are still 3 Morocco ports and Ile de Goree in Senegal (as present). And there is more to do in Tenerife than the beach, at least a chance to walk around in between sea days. I was on three of the islands in December, very different, Lanzarote very dry (closest to the Sahara), and more lush as you go West. Port congestion? Must be commercial traffic, not many cruise ships go there.

Why are the expedition ships "not the best for sea days"? Not enough to do, too unstable? It's my first time on Seabourn's expedition ships. Also have another booked for the fall, so interested why you mention this.

6 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Wel, there are still 3 Morocco ports and Ile de Goree in Senegal (as present). And there is more to do in Tenerife than the beach, at least a chance to walk around in between sea days. I was on three of the islands in December, very different, Lanzarote very dry (closest to the Sahara), and more lush as you go West. Port congestion? Must be commercial traffic, not many cruise ships go there.

Why are the expedition ships "not the best for sea days"? Not enough to do, too unstable? It's my first time on Seabourn's expedition ships. Also have another booked for the fall, so interested why you mention this.

Venture is our favorite ship after we went to the Arctic last year. She is stable and able to handle rough seas.  She does not, however, have the pool area, entertainment, bars etc. that other ships have.  Please don’t misunderstand, I expect we will get a fabulous cruise.  There will be really wonderful lectures from some fascinating expedition team members. You will love it, as will we.

• Like 1

I guess the next problem could be the problems in Dakar.  Just have to wait and see.  I wonder if there are more ports to add in the Canary Islands 🤔?

• Like 1

Re Cape Verde the advise re visa and or 'ease' (ETA) is conflicting and confusing, some countries are exempt from a visa  but have to get an 'ease' ETA? Electronic travel authority? ,however the Ease may only be required if you are arriving by air, has anyone got any more information regarding this? I have a UK passport with I believe is exempt from a visa but Mey require an ETA?

On 2/8/2024 at 1:59 PM, Sharmony1 said:

Re Cape Verde the advise re visa and or 'ease' (ETA) is conflicting and confusing, some countries are exempt from a visa  but have to get an 'ease' ETA? Electronic travel authority? ,however the Ease may only be required if you are arriving by air, has anyone got any more information regarding this? I have a UK passport with I believe is exempt from a visa but Mey require an ETA?

I believe you are correct, you don’t need a visa but you do need to complete Ease.  I am assuming in the instructions it means ‘at least’ 5 days ahead of arrival and not precisely 5 days. If you’re joining the cruise in Cap Verde I assume you will be flying in from Lisbon. You will need the flight number and you only get that when you complete your final documentation. I did that yesterday and will complete Ease over the weekend.  

Edited by Dusko
Spelling

3 hours ago, Dusko said:

I believe you are correct, you don’t need a visa but you do need to complete Ease.  I am assuming in the instructions it means ‘at least’ 5 days ahead of arrival and not precisely 5 days. If you’re joining the cruise in Cap Verde I assume you will be flying in from Lisbon. You will need the flight number and you only get that when you complete your final documentation. I did that yesterday and will complete Ease over the weekend.  

Did you receive some documentation from Seabourn that outlines the advance process for US citizens?

5 hours ago, Dusko said:

Thanks for your reply Dusko, I will be sailing with Princess cruises and I embark in Cape town, South Africa & Cape Verde is one of our ports. I received an email from what I think is Brussels embassy Cape Verde he said every visitor has to register with 'Ease' and the cost of the Ease is classified as airport tax, but surely if I am arriving by cruise & have already  paid the port tax? I have not received any advise from the cruise line via phoning or internet or through my booking. I have a friend who is onboard ship now luckily, she's my inside contact, I'm still waiting a result from her enquiries. Look like I will apply for the Ease nearer the time, just incase things change..... Enjoy your Seabourne cruise, cheers 🥂

On 2/10/2024 at 1:12 PM, Mahogany said:

Did you receive some documentation from Seabourn that outlines the advance process for US citizens?

No I didn’t.  I did try and register/pay on the EASE site.  I got to the payment section and got a message that my credit card provider may need additional confirmation. Shortly afterwards I get a blank screen.  I contacted the support website 5 times and tried applying on 3 different browsers, 2 computers and 2 different credit cards.  Same result.  Finally the support line told me that I can pay on arrival. I have searched and this is a very common problem but it does seem that payment on arrival works fine, just takes longer.  I don’t fault Seabourn in any way on this.  Now when you do print your final paperwork you get details of a visa service that has a special section to handle Seabourn, for a fee I’m sure.  If you’re really worried you could try them.

13 hours ago, Dusko said:

No I didn’t.  I did try and register/pay on the EASE site.  I got to the payment section and got a message that my credit card provider may need additional confirmation. Shortly afterwards I get a blank screen.  I contacted the support website 5 times and tried applying on 3 different browsers, 2 computers and 2 different credit cards.  Same result.  Finally the support line told me that I can pay on arrival. I have searched and this is a very common problem but it does seem that payment on arrival works fine, just takes longer.  I don’t fault Seabourn in any way on this.  Now when you do print your final paperwork you get details of a visa service that has a special section to handle Seabourn, for a fee I’m sure.  If you’re really worried you could try them.

Not really worried. Perhaps there will be some explanation at the Ritz. I was more concerned about the "5 days prior" note, but if we can pay upon arrival, no worries. Website does seem a bit dicey, though. So, you registered but didn't pay? How much (upon arrival)?

On 1/31/2024 at 5:41 AM, Dusko said:

Tenerife: North very lush and green, South drier, more beach resorts. Mount Teide great trip highest mountain in Spain, good scenic trip from Santa Cruz, moon like terrain really a must see if you have enough time in port. If not some great fish restaurants on Santa Cruz beach, Las Teresitas.

Enjoy!

• Like 1