Ultimate Balcony Dinner

nlsgmk

23 hours ago, tulok said:

When I reserved and paid for it, it asked for date. Is that date not guaranteed?  It didn’t ask time. 

This was in 2016 and the option of making the UBD reservation from the Cruise Personalizer was just being rolled out, and date/time was not a part of the reservation process.  So, all it did was put your name on a list to be contacted and let you pay ahead of time.

• Thanks 1

We have done Alaska on Princess twice - both times in May - and both times the weather was fantastic.  Never did wear those lined jeans we bought for the cruise....  I wanted to sign up for the Balcony Dinner but was worried about weather.  We were in a mini with a nice size balcony - but if the weather was bad, or the ship was moving and there was a lot of wind...iffy.  I noticed our departure in Juneau was later than normal - like 9 or 10pm so that would at least eliminate the wind from the ship moving - and I booked for 7pm.  When the dinner started the sun was shining, we were in short sleeves and sun glasses and it was perfect!  We wish that for you!!!!

• Like 2

Does anyone know if they still offer the photographs as part of the package?  One photo used to be included but on the Princess website it doesn't list that as a perk anymore.  

Also does anyone have experience with the UBD on embarkation day?  I was thinking that it typically wasn't offered the first day, but for our upcoming Alaska cruise it lists day one as an option.  We don't leave until 8:30pm so I was thinking that might be a good night to do it.  We'll be coming from our 8 day cruisetour so doing UBD on embarkation day might be a nice way to kick off the cruise if they actually will do it then.  

If anyone has recent experience or feedback I'd appreciate it.  

@Paula_MacFan, no, I haven't booked a UBD on embarkation day.  So, I can't give you a reliable report.  If you do schedule it, I would suggest that you wait for Room Service to contact you.  Call them as soon as you can upon boarding.  There are menu options that have to be agreed upon, and I am sure that they will want to confirm the time with you.  The sooner you can get these items "in ink" the more relaxed both you and the Room Service staff will feel.

If, when you call, they tell you that in spite of what the app software allowed you to do, we can't do a UBD today, you might have a backup date in mind.

Also, my brother and his wife enjoyed a UBD in, I believe, August, and photographs were included.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Does anyone know if they still offer the photographs as part of the package?  One photo used to be included but on the Princess website it doesn't list that as a perk anymore.  

Also does anyone have experience with the UBD on embarkation day?  I was thinking that it typically wasn't offered the first day, but for our upcoming Alaska cruise it lists day one as an option.  We don't leave until 8:30pm so I was thinking that might be a good night to do it.  We'll be coming from our 8 day cruisetour so doing UBD on embarkation day might be a nice way to kick off the cruise if they actually will do it then.  

If anyone has recent experience or feedback I'd appreciate it.  

Photo included in Nov.  Maybe someone on a cruise this year will chime in.  Someone on a current roll call or live right now on your ship, could call RS for you and ask, maybe?

Never did UBD on embarkation night.

I would verify from your cabin as soon as you board though with RS.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:00 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

Can you have the UBD inside if the weather is bad/cold?

I am of course assuming you have space. We had several meals at the small table in our standard balcony cabin on a previous cruise. It was tight though 🙂 

Works better in a minisuite,but still a little tight.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:27 AM, Bgwest said:

Having done the UBD three times I have but one suggestion. 
Skip lunch and snacks on your chosen day. 

OMG it’s a lot of food. 🤢

Yes it was. Was by far the best meal on our cruise.

• Like 1