Punta Sur Eco Park - is it a tourist trap??

LMM01

I am looking for some advice from those who have visited Punta Sur Eco Beach Park in Cozumel. We are considering hiring a tour guide/ driver to go to the park for the sole purpose of seeing the lighthouse. I try to visit lighthouses wherever I travel. 

We are not interested in the beach or tequila tasting or anything else. We thought it would be a good way to see a little bit of the island on the way over. However we don't want to get stuck in a tourist trap. Will our driver be able to take us straight to the lighthouse and then we leave?  What is Punta Sur Eco Park like? Thanks in advance.

Should be able to do that.  But there is an entrance fee to the park.  The Eco portion is legit.  There are animals around and swampy marshes.  Of course you can just not stop at any of the siting spots and just go to the lighthouse and climb the stairs.

Highly suggest you stop at Rasta's/Bob Marley's/ Paradise Grill (not the same as Paradise Beach) on the way back for really good seafood.  It's right outside the entrance.

I would suggest you study some you tube reviews to get a “feeling” for the place. I am not sure what you are envisaging regarding “getting stuck in a tourist trap” and perhaps that would put your mind at ease.

Yes, it is a tourist attraction, most people climb for the views and there is a small museum.

Yes, your driver can take you there and then you can leave after viewing, climbing or whatever you want to do there. 

As @crewsweeper says there is an entrance fee to enter the park. It seems a pity not to look around a little after hiring a driver, but the choice is yours. Presumably you will take a circular tour round the island. This is one of favorites, in the right season. Several nice beach bars, providing there is no sargassum. Rastas is good and we like Punta Morena,  away from the main restaurant area but it doesn’t sound like you are into beaches. The east side is all about views, photo ops and wild side. No electricity (bring cash) and limited cell service.

Incidently, if you just want to “look” at lighthouses there is the old one at Punta Langosta and the newer one south of town. There is another one but you can’t get to it easily.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a private jeep tour a few years ago that took us to the "Wild Side" of Cozumel and enjoyed it a lot. They allowed us to stop anywhere we wanted to check things out...including showing us some blow holes. Then we went to Punta Sur to the lighthouse, museum, the lagoon with the gators (also had a small tower to climb up) and also the beach (which I know you don't want to do). But you can come and go as you please. 

HERE is my review of our day (scroll down a ways and you'll find tons of pictures of the area at Punta Sur, including pictures from the top of the lighthouse). 

14 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

It was at Puerto de Abrigo Marina right past the airport.Puerto de Abrigo marina

Thanks I thought it must be. I didn’t remember it looking like that.

• Like 1