Dress code on Formal/Gala nights

Andy24v

We're booked on Ambience in December, and I was wondering if the dress code applies throughout the ship or just in certain areas?

I'm not a fan of getting dressed up so am wondering if I need to take my suit or not.

I've not been on an Ambassador cruise yet, but this suggests you will be okay everywhere bar the main dining room.

https://www.ambassadorcruiseline.com/faqs/

What is the dress code on board?

During the day, we suggest that you wear casual clothing for your comfort. For the evenings on board, every day the Daily Programme suggests, as a guide, a mode of dress for that particular evening’s events.  
There are generally two ‘formal’ or gala nights planned every 7-12 nights when many gentlemen wear dinner jackets, although a lounge suit is quite acceptable. Ladies on these occasions have a chance to dress up and often opt for evening or cocktail dresses. Please note that jeans, T-Shirts, shorts and open neck shirts are not permitted in the main restaurant on Formal or Gala evenings. 
On evenings proposed as ‘smart’, a suit or smart jacket and trousers, with or without a tie, for the men is suggested and the ladies have further opportunities to look elegant in cocktail dresses or trouser suits.  
A ‘casual’ recommendation often covers evenings spent in port or when a special event such as a deck party is scheduled.  In these cases, the choice of dress is left entirely to you.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the Ambassador Ambition North Cape and Land of the Midnight Sun in July last year. I was surprised at how many men went for either a tux or suit on formal nights. Although I did take one with me I just dressed in a shirt and tie with suit pants. I was not out of place. Quite a few others did the same and a handful even dressed dressed casually.

I would say on our cruise 2/3 tux or suit, and the rest mainly shirt and tie. Many men lost the tie and jacket after dinner. It's your holiday, if you do not want to wear a tux or suit then don't. I do not recollect any 'smart nights' only formal or casual.