A few newbie questions

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the boards and to cruising. I'll be going on my first cruise on April 24th on SOS. I'm excited but have a few questions. Do you think a nice dressy cocktail dress is enough for formal night? How about a suit for my hubby? I don't like the rental tuxes and hope a suit will do. Are there tables for 2 in the main dining room? If anyone has menus or photos or anything like that links would be appreciated. I'm rather obsessed with looking at photos and about food! One last one how's the workout room on SOS? I'm not picky a good treadmill will work for me. Thanks!!!

Michelle

Sorry it's on the Sovereign. I didn't realize there were other SOS ships lol! Also I'm wonder about otc motion sickness remedies. I don't get sick but you can never never about seasickness until you're there!

Congratulations on your first cruise!! First tho, there are more than one 'S' Of the Seas...Which one are you on?

I think a nice dress/suit is fine for Fromal nite...(watch out..you will get many differing opinions on this topic):rolleyes:

There are many pics some listed in links in the "photo gallery" in the Floataway Lounge board...you can also do a 'search ' for menus etc...have fun!!

-Kandy

MichelleMB

My first cruise, I just used my suit for formal night and was not out of place. Since then, I just rent...yeah they're not the best, but I don't have to carry them. AND since there is really no Smart Casual night anymore it makes a jacket superfluous for me.

You will love SoS....hoping you meant Sovereign. If so, enjoy the view of the aft from the Crown Lounge for me! I miss those full circle Crown Lounges!

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the boards and to cruising. I'll be going on my first cruise on April 24th on SOS. I'm excited but have a few questions.

Do you think a nice dressy cocktail dress is enough for formal night? Yes, that will be fine.

How about a suit for my hubby? Yes, that will be fine.

Are there tables for 2 in the main dining room? Yes, but the number is limited and they can be hard to get.

Michelle

Don't obsess over the clothes. Whatever you have described is more than adequate. Don't waste any money buying new outfits just for the cruise.

What you described sounds good. Tuxes are optional and if you are on the Sovereign then you will see people more dressed down.

Tables for two are rare. You are better off getting a large table and meeting people. They are great and I have made life long friends that way.

As for OTC seasickness meds, I use Bonine. It is available at WalMart/Target and isn't expensive. I don't know if I get seasick or not, but I get motion sickness in the car very easily and I can't handle roller coasters, so I figure, why take a chance??? I just take a Bonine tablet every night, starting the night before we cruise and I've never had a problem even on our first cruise when we were in the middle of TS Isabel!

Enjoy your first cruise.....it's very addicting! :D

Julie

Don't obsess over the clothes. Whatever you have described is more than adequate. Don't waste any money buying new outfits just for the cruise.

But many of us ENJOY buying new clothes and cruising is perfect justification : )

To the OP, Sovereign is a great ship and so is Serenade. There are tables for two on both, but in short supply. Your TA can be a real asset there so put them to work for you.

To answer your questions:

Your dress will be just fine.

A nice suit is perfect. The majority of people wear suits and not tuxedo's. Besides, a think a well tailored suit beats the look of the penguin tuxedo any day.

Yes you can receive a table for two in the dining room... but they are limited, so act fast.

As for advice... I'd suggest not going with the table for 2. One of the best aspects of cruise, in my opinion, is getting to know other passengers and having people to hang out with and party with. You limit those options when you do a 2 person table.

We booked on Explorer of the seas 3 months before sailing and we requested a table for 2 and received it. We liked it a lot and the tables are so close together we had a ball with the next table. If you want a table for 2 request it you just might get it.

I also recommend taking ginger root tablets beginning about a week before your cruise. I was non-stop sea sick on my first cruise, but with the ginger, I didn't even need dramamine on my last one.

You can usually find them in the vitamin aisle of the grocery store or pharmacy.

Happy cruising!

But many of us ENJOY buying new clothes and cruising is perfect justification : )

To the OP, Sovereign is a great ship and so is Serenade. There are tables for two on both, but in short supply. Your TA can be a real asset there so put them to work for you.

I'm totally using the cruise as an excuse to shop! I have a few cocktail dresses but have no problem getting a new one.

Actually I'm a TA. I've stated it's our 15th anniversary and requested a table for 2. Any other tips to help?

Over the years, I've built up a small wardrobe of "cruise only" clothes. I needed a dressy cocktail type dress for a function here at home, and my DH couldn't understand hy I had to buy "another dress". I would never contaminate those dresses with non-sea air! (Also, a good excuse for buying more at home dresses!LOL:D

I brought along a dark suit and a couple of different shirts and ties; my wife brought along a couple of nice dresses.

The Tuxedos are a bit too much. The guy next to me on our first cruise must have felt like a putz; he was the only one I could see in the dining room wearing one - plus, someone else probably wore it before he did (I mean, who owns a TUX nowadays).

Best seasickness cure - bring along a nice juicy can of sardines and pop that bad boy open and take a few out and swallow them whole. I used to hug the back end of a xerox machine on an aircraft carrier, by god.....

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to the boards and to cruising. I'll be going on my first cruise on April 24th on SOS. I'm excited but have a few questions. Do you think a nice dressy cocktail dress is enough for formal night? How about a suit for my hubby? I don't like the rental tuxes and hope a suit will do. Are there tables for 2 in the main dining room? If anyone has menus or photos or anything like that links would be appreciated. I'm rather obsessed with looking at photos and about food! One last one how's the workout room on SOS? I'm not picky a good treadmill will work for me. Thanks!!!

Michelle

Sorry it's on the Sovereign. I didn't realize there were other SOS ships lol! Also I'm wonder about otc motion sickness remedies. I don't get sick but you can never never about seasickness until you're there!

A cocktail dress and a suit (for your husband) will be just fine. There will be a wide range of dress on formal night.

As for OTC nausea meds, someone mentioned Bonine...also, some people use OTC ginger tablets. I use a Sharper Image band that sends electrical signals through one's wrist. It's well worth the $$!

Have fun!

D.

Don't get a table for 2--unless you're on your honeymoon and are still getting to know your significant other! The fun of the dining room is the camraderie your will experience--not only with your tablemates, but your waiter, as well. The larger tables have so much more fun than the smaller ones!

Hi everyone,

Michelle

Michelle,

I'm taking suits for my husband and son. Sorry can't help with tables or menus, this is our first cruise as well. (Freedom 6/11/06) I'm like you and worried about seasickness, so I'm going loaded for bear. I'm taking ginger tablets, Bonine and Relief Bands, rather pricey on the Relief Bands, but I figure when you're spending thousands on a trip what's another $100 bucks that could save your cruise. If you're into walking why not just use the jogging track on upper deck, can't do that at home!!! Happy Sailing, Janet

I just bought a couple of things on Ebay thanks to the recommendation of our fellow cruisers. Bought a $300.00 formal for 45.00 and a beautiful beaded jacket for $25.00 perfect with slacks or skirt. This site is great for all kinds of great tips thanks!!!

I got the seasickness patches drom the Doc. and I am glad I did! I don't normally get motion sickness, but wen had a little hurricane action going on the last cruise, the Captain warned us it would be rough the next day. I put one on before bed, DH did not....guess which one of us had a better day?:rolleyes:

Archived