Transport

pat_glynn

We are going to be in walvis bay in November and I checked WHATS IN PORT WALVIS BAY.  They say metered taxis are generally available pier side.however passengers are discouraged from walking the relatively short distance because i

Of all the distractions and work activity.   Shuttles will drop passengers off near the civic center in the center of old town.  

We have visited Walvis Bay twice over the years and I have posted my diary entries for each visit which may contain some useful information.

Saturday 9th May 2015
Walvis Bay, Namibia.  WALVIS BAY WILDLIFE CRUISE.

WALVIS BAY.
The port is huge and very industrial.
There was a free shuttle to the port gate where there was a small craft market.
There were taxis available on the dock.
The town is larger and seems more prosperous than Lüderitz with wide streets and good quality, modern housing.
The town centre is a good 20 minutes’ walk from the port gate.
There are a couple of shopping malls and supermarkets.
The majority of shops are closed on Saturday afternoon and all day on Sunday.
There is a large lagoon just outside the town with a pleasant promenade.

WALVIS BAY WILDLIFE CRUISE

We left the ship at 08.15 by coach for the 10 minute drive to the boat dock and this is where my heart sank as it was right in the middle of the fish processing area and so the smell was awful. There were clean toilets and a tiny office area with a seat but that was about it.

AfricanAdventureMay15Izzy3377.thumb.JPG.8211f45cb4f60bde9a8cc009470d97fb.JPG

IMG_9219.JPG.ff4621bec5408a711b914f0f02a7253a.JPG
The boats were small, semi-covered, fast game fishing style vessels which held 10/15 passengers.
There was no jetty so the tour boat firm had a narrow, extendable walk-way out from the mud flats and there were people to help you move along it.

Once on board our pilot and guide, Ruen (he had a great sense of humour) showed us that there was a toilet on board (small but adequate) and explained the safety rules before we set off across the bay.

This was where things improved and the fun began. Ruen stopped the boat in several places and we got very 'up close and personal' with pelicans, seals, dolphins and flamingos as well as many other sea birds and the sand dunes along the Namibian coast.

IMG_9223.JPG.59b82f8b080768c0ff17e2370d6636d6.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG.947b4b4cf35e0fa898349560838fab96.JPG

At times, the boat went very fast so it was a bumpy ride and sometimes I had to cling very tightly to the rail to stop myself bouncing off my seat but it was so exciting and exhilarating!

Ruen stopped the boat for 30 minutes by a sandbar and served sparkling wine, freshly shucked oysters and a variety of nibbles. Soft drinks and beer were offered throughout the trip.

AfricanAdventureMay15Izzy3395.thumb.JPG.8e532bceffd6bdbb1d402d09af9e000f.JPG

We saw a lot and learned a lot so, despite the unpromising start, we all had a great time. Hopefully, in years to come, the company will build a proper floating dock away from the fish processing plant and then the whole experience will be as great as the middle bit!

We were very glad that we had our fleeces and waterproof coats as it was very cold when we were moving and the spray was splashing over the sides.

It was a wonderful trip and well worth the money although I know a lot of people complained about the dock area.

December 2022

Walvis Bay port.

• the port is large and industrial. 
  • There was a regular free shuttle service with 2 drop-off points - the beach and the town centre.
  • The tour busses for ship’s excursions were parked a shortish walk from the gangway.
  • There were tour operators waiting at the port exit offering trips to the sand dunes and lagoons. There were taxis too.
  • A group of people had set up a souvenir market along the roadside close to the port exit.
  • It is possible to walk into town and to a beach if you are reasonably fit.

J&I - independent tour with Red Dunes Safaris. 08.30 - 18.00

• I had done an internet search for a company that could pick us up at the port and tailor our tour to our requirements. I looked at several companies and emailed 3 but only got a prompt and personal response from JP at RDS. We emailed a few times and he always responded quickly and was very willing to provide the experiences that I suggested.
  • IMG_7957.thumb.JPG.a58d875d1ce0da36e1363991d62ed54c.JPG

• John-Pierre was waiting for us at the port exit and his 4x4 was parked a few metres away.
  • JP established our requirements and then set off to take us through the town to the wetland bird reserve where there were lots of flamingos and ducks.
  • From there we drove down to the town promenade (beautiful houses) to see more flamingos.
  • JP took us to the huge salt pans and then onto the beach where there was a large colony of seals with their pups and a shipwreck.
  • thumbnail_IMG_7906.thumb.jpg.a7cd79ff645b0ce516af7348897f4f7a.jpg
  •  
  • 4Y9A5520.thumb.JPG.538d3ef882025f26540912df025b059d.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_7904.thumb.jpg.c86b3c415da6ce4135c1b3b4537189ce.jpg

• The tour continued with a long drive (40km) along the coast and through the sand dunes to Sandwich Harbour.
  • We stopped at an aquifer where there was a wooden platform to sit on while we had a picnic. JP had been very thoughtful and had included a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling wine.
  • thumbnail_IMG_5513.thumb.jpg.5d1c7de75a92a64dad34aea9286b6ff6.jpg
  • We continued on to Sandwich Harbour where he drove the 4x4 up the huge and steep sand dunes in a ‘dune bashing’! The views along the coast were spectacular.
  • thumbnail_IMG_5521.thumb.jpg.655af3b1861ed038ae28499998c8795b.jpg
  • JP took a different route back through the desert and we saw a jackal, onyxes, ostriches and springbok.RB2A9646.thumb.JPG.7fe2a83603b9cd9666fbb70dd81fa917.JPG
  • We got back to the port at 18.00 which was long after our agreed time of 15.30 after a great day with an excellent guide!

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks ago we were easily able to walk to the port gate where there was a huge market. We walked to the waterfront area to pick up our sandwich bay  4x4 excursion. We were inches away from pick pelicans, saw more flamingos than you could shake a croquet mallet at, had champagne and oysters in the dunes and survived despite our driver thinking gravity didn't apply to him when he headed up vertical sand dunes. Honestly one of the best excursions we have done. On our return we asked to be dropped off at the raft restaurant, then moved to the waterfront for more wine and souvenir shopping.