Limited Walking Mediterranean

We were on a Caribbean cruise last month and took a good opportunity to book a nice cruise to the Mediterranean on the Holland America Oosterdam. The ports include Athens, Korcula Croatia, Zadar Croatia, Trieste Italy, Hvar Croatia,  Dubrovnik Croatia, Corfu Greece, Sarande Albania, Argostoli Greece, Olympia Greece, and ending back in Athens.  I can walk but not for very long. I plan to rent a scooter to use on the ship in order to reserve my strength for touring.  My question is will I be able to see and do anything that doesn't involve a great deal of walking?  My legs are weak and my overall stamina is fairly low.  I can adjust to seeing a lot less than I used to but I want to know if I will be able to see/do anything much at all?  

• Like 1

I would definitely check into private tours.    Many will customize a limited walking tour for you.    

Some folks on this board can probably recommend tour companies they've used.   Or ask for private tour recommendations on the boards for your specific port stops.   

If you join the Roll Call for your cruise, maybe you could find someone to share a tour with you.   

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

I would definitely check into private tours.    Many will customize a limited walking tour for you.    

Some folks on this board can probably recommend tour companies they've used.   Or ask for private tour recommendations on the boards for your specific port stops.   

If you join the Roll Call for your cruise, maybe you could find someone to share a tour with you.   

This ^^ definitely.

With a private excursion/tour, you can usually customize almost anything (legal!).  If not, then find a different vendor.

Explain exactly what you need, what you can/cannot do, and also what you want to see.  We always also ask the guide-to-be if they have any other suggestions about what to see/do, given our interests.  (We would have already mentioned the types of things we tend to enjoy, or what we hope to see, etc.)

If you need to minimize walking, make sure to mention that, and perhaps ask if they can arrange to drive you closer.  (Maybe this would add a special parking fee or such, in which case you could decide whether it's worth it to see/do A or B.)

And if there is walking, ask about places to rest along the way.  If there just isn't anyplace (and you don't want to sit on the ground or can't easily get up, etc.), then perhaps choose a different activity.

We've had a lot of good experiences.  One guide in Rome (for 2 days) was all set with extra plans for either taxis or routes that were closer to the actual activity or sights.  And he would occasionally point out a nice place to sit for as long as necessary in case that was desired at about that time.

Enjoy!

GC

Why are you not taking the scooter ashore in ports?  As long as they are not tender ports it should be doable.  I remember Argostoli as quite walkable, although there was on,y one place for a ship to dock and another was tendering.  In Corfu we took a shuttle into town but then it was walkable.  If there is not an accessible shuttle to Dubrovnik you could probably scoot to the old town.  

34 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Why are you not taking the scooter ashore in ports?  As long as they are not tender ports it should be doable.  I remember Argostoli as quite walkable, although there was on,y one place for a ship to dock and another was tendering.  In Corfu we took a shuttle into town but then it was walkable.  If there is not an accessible shuttle to Dubrovnik you could probably scoot to the old town.  

I can walk some.  Just not very far so long days of walking are out for me.  It seemed like taking the scooter ashore would be very difficult.  Am I wrong with that assumption?  I didn't think I'd be able to get transportation for me and the scooter easily to get to the places we'd want to see.  This is only the second trip where I've required a scooter and the last one was mostly getting myself to the beach where I could walk as far as the taxi stand.  

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

This ^^ definitely.

With a private excursion/tour, you can usually customize almost anything (legal!).  If not, then find a different vendor.

Explain exactly what you need, what you can/cannot do, and also what you want to see.  We always also ask the guide-to-be if they have any other suggestions about what to see/do, given our interests.  (We would have already mentioned the types of things we tend to enjoy, or what we hope to see, etc.)

If you need to minimize walking, make sure to mention that, and perhaps ask if they can arrange to drive you closer.  (Maybe this would add a special parking fee or such, in which case you could decide whether it's worth it to see/do A or B.)

And if there is walking, ask about places to rest along the way.  If there just isn't anyplace (and you don't want to sit on the ground or can't easily get up, etc.), then perhaps choose a different activity.

We've had a lot of good experiences.  One guide in Rome (for 2 days) was all set with extra plans for either taxis or routes that were closer to the actual activity or sights.  And he would occasionally point out a nice place to sit for as long as necessary in case that was desired at about that time.

Enjoy!

GC

Thank you for the good advice.  I will look into private tour guides.  We have two shore excursions included with our package with the cruise. I think that I have identified which two I will select based on our interests and the lower level of physical activity.   But I have to figure out the other days.  Private guides are usually so much better and we have used them on all of our previous cruises because we enjoy the individualized touring vs being in a huge group.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, dianelevene said:

We were on a Caribbean cruise last month and took a good opportunity to book a nice cruise to the Mediterranean on the Holland America Oosterdam. The ports include Athens, Korcula Croatia, Zadar Croatia, Trieste Italy, Hvar Croatia,  Dubrovnik Croatia, Corfu Greece, Sarande Albania, Argostoli Greece, Olympia Greece, and ending back in Athens.  I can walk but not for very long. I plan to rent a scooter to use on the ship in order to reserve my strength for touring.  My question is will I be able to see and do anything that doesn't involve a great deal of walking?  My legs are weak and my overall stamina is fairly low.  I can adjust to seeing a lot less than I used to but I want to know if I will be able to see/do anything much at all?  

Book scenic coach tour to benefit the beauty of the area.