Meraviglia this Sunday

pamelanj

Hi all.

Booked this cruise LAST night. Never booked a cruise so last minute.  Booked Aurea Balcony. They tier matched us to gold.

Lots of cruises on all different lines but most have been NCL.  First MSC and Brooklyn.

I know with Aurea we get priority embarkation. Is it obvious when you get there where that line would be? Is it also priority disembarkation?

We were given a 1-130p check in time. Isn’t this late considering the ship leaves at 3? Or am I reading something wrong. Should I expect long lines at that time? I have heard about long car lines and also standing outside…and others say they walked right on the ship.

Thank you very any help you can provide. I have loved reading the posts. 😊

Edited by pamelanj

• pamelanj changed the title to Meraviglia this Sunday
30 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

Hi all.

Booked this cruise LAST night. Never booked a cruise so last minute.  Booked Aurea Balcony. They tier matched us to gold.

Lots of cruises on all different lines but most have been NCL.  First MSC and Brooklyn.

I know with Aurea we get priority embarkation. Is it obvious when you get there where that line would be? Is it also priority disembarkation?

We were given a 1-130p check in time. Isn’t this late considering the ship leaves at 3? Or am I reading something wrong. Should I expect long lines at that time? I have heard about long car lines and also standing outside…and others say they walked right on the ship.

Thank you very any help you can provide. I have loved reading the posts. 😊

Your check-in time is meaningless. It is not enforced at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Once you are through security, look to the left and there will be a separate check-in line for Aurea and Diamond. Get in that line instead of the normal check-in line. That is your priority embarkation.

You should not have to line up outside at all unless there is something wrong. I had to wait outside a bit when there was a medical emergency in the line to go through security and they had to stop the lines completely so that emergency crews could get in and treat and ultimately remove the patient. Not something that should typically happen.

Traffic getting into the terminal can get pretty backed up, but it's never *too* bad.

Thank you! I will remember to go to the left.

I just realized that the time they gave me was not good! We are leaving at 3pm and I called MSC and they said I should be there by noon!  My goodness!

I wouldn’t have minded being offered a chance to upgrade to YC but I’m thinking that since we booked so last minute that won’t happen.

I will admit Im a little nervous since it is my first MSC cruise and leaving in the winter. We always leave NYC in the summer.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Meraviglia or MSC. I sailed on NCL for my first seven cruises, but have sailed on the MSC Meraviglia for my most recent four, so I can probably answer most of your questions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Let me know if you have any questions about the Meraviglia or MSC. I sailed on NCL for my first seven cruises, but have sailed on the MSC Meraviglia for my most recent four, so I can probably answer most of your questions.

Oh very good to know you did NCL a lot and are happy with MSC. We like to cruise out of NY the most and Bermuda is my favorite cruise/island.

We are NCL platinum and also Caesar’s so we like that discount. Those perks have kept us brand loyal for the most part. We always do balcony or suite and try to get an extended balcony when possible. We are doing Haven in June for the first time.

We like to do the thermal spa pass when available on NCL so I am looking forward to that on MSC Aurea. Do we have to set an appointment or typically just walk in? We just show up on NCL.

Some of the food reviews for MSC make me nervous but then again some complain about NCL food and 99% of the time, we are happy. 😃 

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Bon voyage.  MSC has a different vibe than other cruise lines, so it’s best to go with an open mind.  Have you checked out the other Aurea inclusions?

Thank you! I am looking forward to the solarium, spa, and eating with just my DH as that is what we are used to doing. Are we able to walk into Panorama any time we want to eat? Or do we have to go at certain time ranges?

3 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

We like to do the thermal spa pass when available on NCL so I am looking forward to that on MSC Aurea. Do we have to set an appointment or typically just walk in? We just show up on NCL.

Some of the food reviews for MSC make me nervous but then again some complain about NCL food and 99% of the time, we are happy. 😃 

They now recommend making an appointment - especially on sea days - so they can accommodate you. 

With ‘My Choice’ dining you can arrive anytime between the hours indicated, but they can’t guarantee that you’ll get a 2-top. In our experience, the dining tended to end up as early and late seating as you were able to have the same table for the entirety of the cruise if you dined at the same time every evening.  YMMV. 

11 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

Oh very good to know you did NCL a lot and are happy with MSC. We like to cruise out of NY the most and Bermuda is my favorite cruise/island.

We are NCL platinum and also Caesar’s so we like that discount. Those perks have kept us brand loyal for the most part. We always do balcony or suite and try to get an extended balcony when possible. We are doing Haven in June for the first time.

I will warn that the thermal spa doesn't really compare to what is available on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class NCL ships. It is smaller and there are no windows, so it feels much more enclosed. You should be able to go whenever you like, depending on how busy your sailing is. I have heard that early in the morning is best. On my most recent sailing, one of my travel companions would do breakfast in the MDR, then go to the spa for a bit, then meet us for our morning Mimosas afterward and she didn't have to contend with too many other people.

Food is always subjective, but I am generally pretty happy with MSC's food. The pizza and fresh mozzarella in the buffet are a must!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

They now recommend making an appointment - especially on sea days - so they can accommodate you. 

With ‘My Choice’ dining you can arrive anytime between the hours indicated, but they can’t guarantee that you’ll get a 2-top. In our experience, the dining tended to end up as early and late seating as you were able to have the same table for the entirety of the cruise if you dined at the same time every evening.  YMMV. 

Ugh. I sure hope we can get the 2 top. DH will not be pleased. 😂 

is panorama typically crowded?

I don’t think ship is full capacity as I am still seeing YC rooms, balcony and OV rooms…only Bella for inside. 

But there are 4 more days to go… 😜 

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I will warn that the thermal spa doesn't really compare to what is available on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class NCL ships. It is smaller and there are no windows, so it feels much more enclosed. You should be able to go whenever you like, depending on how busy your sailing is. I have heard that early in the morning is best. On my most recent sailing, one of my travel companions would do breakfast in the MDR, then go to the spa for a bit, then meet us for our morning Mimosas afterward and she didn't have to contend with too many other people.

Food is always subjective, but I am generally pretty happy with MSC's food. The pizza and fresh mozzarella in the buffet are a must!

I appreciate the honesty! I would rather know the spa is different.  Not a deal breaker as we just like having the option especially when weather isn’t great.

i have heard about this pizza! I never eat it on other cruises but this looks actually good. I understand they also make pasta on the ship. Yum. 😊

1 minute ago, pamelanj said:

Ugh. I sure hope we can get the 2 top. DH will not be pleased. 😂 

is panorama typically crowded?

I don’t think ship is full capacity as I am still seeing YC rooms, balcony and OV rooms…only Bella for inside. 

But there are 4 more days to go… 😜 

They’re sure to facilitate you if you let them know that you want a table for two.  But, I have seen passengers sharing tables in My Choice.  Some actually choose to dine with others, but you don’t have to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pamelanj said:

… have heard about this pizza! I never eat it on other cruises but this looks actually good. I understand they also make pasta on the ship. Yum. 😊

The pasta is freshly made onboard every day.  Saw it for myself on a Behind the Scenes tour. 

• Like 2

The one time I was in Aurea on the Meraviglia, we never had any issue at all getting a 2-top in Panorama. You should know that Panorama is also a MDR for Fantastica/Bella cruisers. When you arrive there, there is a line on the far right for Aurea. Everyone else should/will be entering through the center doors.

40 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The one time I was in Aurea on the Meraviglia, we never had any issue at all getting a 2-top in Panorama. You should know that Panorama is also a MDR for Fantastica/Bella cruisers. When you arrive there, there is a line on the far right for Aurea. Everyone else should/will be entering through the center doors.

Oh…I didn’t realize the panorama wasn’t just for Aurea. Since they said we have to use Panorama, I assumed…

I don’t care, of course. Just want my 2top!  😂 

Do they take reservations at Panorama?

Do you usually do YC? I know many on this board do YC.

9 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

Oh…I didn’t realize the panorama wasn’t just for Aurea. Since they said we have to use Panorama, I assumed…

They say you can make reservations.  Unfortunately, with MSC, policies differ from ship to ship - and even sailing to sailing. That’s why you may see YMMV here quite a bit.  But, you will get a 2-top.  Sorry if I didn’t make it clear.  It’s just that there may not be one immediately available at the time you show up. 

There’s a separate section for Aurea in MDRs that are shared with non-Aurea.  The waiters have less tables so service is (supposed to be) better.  We’ve certainly experienced some great service when in the Aurea MDR.

I know that the YC question wasn’t aimed at me but, as an FYI, we sail YC sometimes.  

Edited by Beamafar

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

They say you can make reservations.  Unfortunately, with MSC, policies differ from ship to ship - and even sailing to sailing. That’s why you may see YMMV here quite a bit.  But, you will get a 2-top.  Sorry if I didn’t make it clear.  It’s just that there may not be one immediately available at the time you show up. 

There’s a separate section for Aurea in MDRs that are shared with non-Aurea.  The waiters have less tables so service is (supposed to be) better.  We’ve certainly experienced some great service when in the Aurea MDR.

I know that the YC question wasn’t aimed at me but, as an FYI, we sail YC sometimes.  

So I gather you do all different experiences based on price on MSC. My DH will not go in any cabin without a balcony. I would be fine with getting an inside room if the price was great. 😊

Edited by pamelanj

Just now, pamelanj said:

So I gather you do all different experiences based on price on MSC. My DH will not go in any cabin without a balcony. I would be fine with getting and inside room if the price was great. 😊

Yeah.  We booked an inside for the first time for an upcoming cruise, but I couldn’t live with it so have upgraded to a balcony.  That’s the minimum we’ve always had (apart from the new Infinity Oceanview on World Europa, but that was an Aurea Experience cabin and a YC Inside which is tolerable due to being able to enjoy the private lounge, restaurant and pool deck). 

38 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

I've never sailed YC. I have sailed Aurea once and Fantastica three times. On our Aurea sailing, my husband and I had no issue getting a two-top in Panorama. We had the same waitstaff every night. The Aurea section of the Panorama is the premium seating near the aft windows, so you should be very happy with it. In Fantastica, I have always been assigned a sharing table with other English speakers.

One thing I will advise is, if you like Mexican food, go to Hola! early and often! Their a la carte pricing is incredibly reasonable and the food is great! Don't bother with the $18 all-you-can-eat unless you can eat a LOT!

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I've never sailed YC. I have sailed Aurea once and Fantastica three times. On our Aurea sailing, my husband and I had no issue getting a two-top in Panorama. We had the same waitstaff every night. The Aurea section of the Panorama is the premium seating near the aft windows, so you should be very happy with it. In Fantastica, I have always been assigned a sharing table with other English speakers.

One thing I will advise is, if you like Mexican food, go to Hola! early and often! Their a la carte pricing is incredibly reasonable and the food is great! Don't bother with the $18 all-you-can-eat unless you can eat a LOT!

I love Mexican food! I will definitely try that one out. Any reservations for that? Are they open for lunch?

1 hour ago, pamelanj said:

I appreciate the honesty! I would rather know the spa is different.  Not a deal breaker as we just like having the option especially when weather isn’t great.

i have heard about this pizza! I never eat it on other cruises but this looks actually good. I understand they also make pasta on the ship. Yum. 😊

We just had some pizza (again); on MSC Meraviglia at the moment.  It is delicious and my husband who is from Brooklyn, NY thinks it’s better than NYC Pizza.  I agree!  The pasta is also delicious and perfectly cooked. Also all the cheeses and deli style meats as well are excellent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We just had some pizza (again); on MSC Meraviglia at the moment.  It is delicious and my husband who is from Brooklyn, NY thinks it’s better than NYC Pizza.  I agree!  The pasta is also delicious and perfectly cooked. Also all the cheeses and deli style meats as well are excellent.

Where are you currently located?

7 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

Port. Wondering how the weather is on a winter cruise. 😊

We are currently in Miami waiting to depart for Nassau tomorrow.  It was absolutely gorgeous today.  75 degrees and mostly sunny.  The captain made the right call skipping Cape Canaveral and the private island (it was too windy).

IMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3333.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

IMG_3319.jpeg