Layover In Heathrow?

MajSteve

Flying into and out of T3, the HGI T2/3 is the place to stay for exactly the same reason as the Sofitel is for T5. 
You can walk there, it’s fairly well signposted out across a car park at T2, takes max 10 - 15 mins from T3 and there are moving walkways, and most importantly you are not dependent on a train transfer, that always worries me given the frequency of strikes in London. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 6:44 AM, jollyjones said:

You come out of arrivals and turn right, then you walk past all the shops - there are others that sell snacks if you are hungry.

Go along almost to the far end of the arrivals area, past the Underground signs, then look over to your left and you will see elevators - make sure you take the one that has the sign for the Sofitel, there are two and they are to the right hand side of the elevator bank.

Out of the elevator you turn right, follow the corridor around and when you get to what you might think is the hotel, it is actually just the car hire place in the lobby. Press on, take the escalator or elevator down one level, turn right, and walk a short way on to the check in desks on your right.

It sounds complicated but actually isn't!

Thanks for the detailed reply. Hope you don't mind another question! I will be arriving from Rome. My suitcase should be checked (they tell me) all the way to my first stop in my home country (USA) and will magically show up there for me to claim and clear USA customs and then recheck the bag to my final destination. Finally, my question: Which route should I follow when arriving at Heathrow T-5? I have viewed several videos but I can't find the answer. I am only laying over for the one night, so do I just pass through passport control and then begin following your directions to the Sofitel? Thanks for your knowledge and patience!

Edited by MajSteve

8 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Hope you don't mind another question! I will be arriving from Rome. My suitcase should be checked (they tell me) all the way to my first stop in my home country (USA) and will magically show up there for me to claim and clear USA customs and then recheck the bag to my final destination. Finally, my question: Which route should I follow when arriving at Heathrow T-5? I have viewed several videos but I can't find the answer. I am only laying over for the one night, so do I just pass through passport control and then begin following your directions to the Sofitel? Thanks for your knowledge and patience!

First off, it's not magic, it's the hard work of a crew of airline and airport employees and a fantastic piece of engineering in the form of T5's baggage system. 

Anyways...when you clear immigration and customs at LHR T5, I believe you take a right and just keep walking and keeping an eye out for signs that say Sofitel (or "Hotel", I can't remember which). You'll likely need to grab an elevator/lift up a level, but even in the elevator there will be a button that says either "Sofitel" or "Hotel", and more signage once you get out. 

After deplaning in LHR, you will follow the yellow signs to immigration and customs, not the purple connecting flight signs because you are going landside to the hotel, it’s as if London is your final destination. 
If your luggage is checked through to the US, I believe you don’t get to see it in LHR, so after immigration you go down the escalator to the baggage hall and go directly to the exit and out through the green channel, then follow the directions I previously wrote. 

19 hours ago, MajSteve said:

Thanks to everyone! I'll probably have more questions!

Just don't overthink it. We're happy to help, but LHR is a pretty well-signed airport and people from all over the world, from rural Africa to New York to Tokyo, transit through it every day just fine. Overthinking it can only cause trouble! 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2