Layover In Heathrow?

MajSteve

26 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

Has anyone flying on a British Airways flight utilized the Holiday Inn Express at Heathrow for a layover?

Which one?

How long is your layover? Which terminal are you arriving at, and at what time, and which terminal are you departing from, and at what time? Why do you want to stay at an airport hotel at all?

As mentioned, there are two Holiday Inn Express location with "Heathrow" in their name, with wildly different locations and ease of reach. So, knowing which one is important...as does which terminal you are arriving in, since BA uses two of them. 

I am looking at Holiday Inn Express, Terminal 4 which states it is an easy walk from Terminal 3. I have a 14-hour layover. Arriving in Heathrow at 10:45pm and leaving next day ay 1:30pm.

Screenshot_9-2-2024_111033_www.booking.com.jpeg

Edited by MajSteve

Well, easy walk is a loose/kind definition here since there's no pedestrian access to the central terminals at Heathrow. You can walk to Terminal 4 and take the underground or Elizabeth Line.

There's a Hilton Garden Inn at Terminal 2 that's walking distance but you'll need to allow a bit of time to walk over to Terminal 3. Consult a map

37 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

states it is an easy walk from Terminal 3. 

Lol, no. A look at the map should show you the distance (and runways) between T3 and that hotel. 

You can take the tube, Elizabeth Line or Heathrow Express between the T2/3 stop and the T4 stop for free, but that involves walks on either end plus a wait for the train. Heathrow's website estimates 20-30 minutes to transfer between the two. Note that you can go T-4 to T-2/3 on the tube, but I am not sure you can go T-2/3 to T-4. Also note that, if your flight is delayed, I am not sure any of these go much past midnight if at all. 

As a somewhat regular on the daytime ORD-LHR flight, that sounds like what you're taking based on the arrival time. I've usually had success with it being on-time or early, but there are times it's late enough that it could be iffy once you factor in immigration and waiting for check bags. Also, note that flight is not BA, but American Airlines.

Edited by Zach1213

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Note that you can go T-4 to T-2/3 on the tube, but I am not sure you can go T-2/3 to T-4.

Not directly. You need to go one stop from T2/3 to Hatton Cross, cross-platform change, and then take a T4 train from Hatton Cross to T4.

So T2/3 to T4 is best done by Heathrow Express / Elizabeth Line (which AIUI operate from the same platforms and are both free for this journey).

If the OP could confirm the terminals involved, we might be able to give better advice about hotels for this overnight stay.

Hi and thanks for the replies. I will arrive at Terminal 5 from Rome on BA555 at 10:45 PM. I will also leave the next day at 1:10 pm from T-5. Going to Dallas on BA193. I had selected the Holiday Inn Express based on price. Sounds like I might need to reconsider! Any advice is welcome...Thanks again.

Edited by MajSteve

41 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

Hi and thanks for the replies. I will arrive at Terminal 5 from Rome on BA555 at 10:45 PM. I will also leave the next day at 1:10 pm from T-5. Going to Dallas on BA193. I had selected the Holiday Inn Express based on price. Sounds like I might need to reconsider! Any advice is welcome...Thanks again.

OK, so if everything is T-5, look at the Sofitel. Yes, it's probably more expensive. But it's going to save you a bunch of time on either end as it's directly connected to T5. Otherwise, you'll still end up taking the train to another terminal. 

45 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:
1 hour ago, MajSteve said:

I will arrive at Terminal 5 from Rome on BA555 at 10:45 PM. I will also leave the next day at 1:10 pm from T-5. Going to Dallas on BA193.

OK, so if everything is T-5, look at the Sofitel. Yes, it's probably more expensive. But it's going to save you a bunch of time on either end as it's directly connected to T5. Otherwise, you'll still end up taking the train to another terminal. 

I agree. The Sofitel is a nice way to overnight if you have a T5-T5 connection, especially with a late arrival.

Also, staying at T4 requires you to take two trains with a change, each way. If you really want something other than the Sofitel, then the HGI T2/3 is perhaps the next best thing because it's only one stop away on one train.

If you're tempted to book another hotel with "T5" in its name (including the other Holiday Inn Express), be very cautious about committing yourself before you have worked out what the transport options are. I think that all of these are off-airport; in addition, many/most of them are outside London, which means that a taxi from the rank isn't obliged to take you, and (perhaps more importantly) isn't obliged to use the meter, so you could get really ripped off. This is particularly important for you because you're arriving late in the evening (plus a one-hour time change) so your energy levels and your tolerance for the (dreadful) Hotel Hoppa bus may be low, and a taxi could be a dangerously alluring prospect. There are other airport hotels in London that don't suffer from this particular taxi problem.

A small point: you may want to check the time of your flight from Rome to Heathrow. It may have changed slightly since you booked. The change to the arrival time is not very important, but it's more important for you to know whether the departure time is now a few minutes earlier than you had thought.

4 hours ago, MajSteve said:

I will arrive at Terminal 5 from Rome on BA555 at 10:45 PM. I will also leave the next day at 1:10 pm from T-5. Going to Dallas on BA193.

Well, arriving - late - at T5 and then departing from T5 it's the Sofitel.  Case closed!  We have stayed there a few times due to flying out of T5 and it's very nice.  You have already bought a flight from Rome to Dallas.  What is your time worth and the wear and tear on the old body?

• Like 1

I'll second the recommendation to take the close-in Sofitel.

You get in at 10:45pm.  Now add in the time to leave the aircraft, walk to immigration and clear UK processes.  Do you then want to take even more time to either transfer to another terminal or go off airport via a taxi?  Or try to catch the last Hoppa to your hotel?

Save the stress and get to bed before midnight - with the time change, you have a long day ahead of you heading to DFW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MajSteve said:

Got a reservation at the Sofitel T5...Thanks for all of your advice. Expensive yes, but it's only money!

Good decision!  As you walk to the Sofitel, you will pass a row of shops including a Marks & Sparks that has a huge selection of food and drink.  Don't know what time they would close.  If open, you could pick up food items to take to your room and therefore avoid room sevice.

1 hour ago, Fairgarth said:

As you walk to the Sofitel, you will pass a row of shops including a Marks & Sparks that has a huge selection of food and drink.  Don't know what time they would close.

Heathrow says 11 pm. It's worth noting that this Marks and Spencer is on the arrivals level (ground floor or level 0) - so if you want to go there, you must stay on this level even if the signed route to where you're going tries to take you upstairs.

At present the shop is closed for refurbishment. Apparently, it's due to re-open in March 2024.

6 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

If it is closed by the time I pass it, I can always stock up in the morning before I leave.

I think that Fairgarth's (good) idea was to try to avoid you having to get room service for dinner that night! In the morning, you'll have lots of breakfast options in the terminal as well as in the hotel.

You come out of arrivals and turn right, then you walk past all the shops - there are others that sell snacks if you are hungry.

Go along almost to the far end of the arrivals area, past the Underground signs, then look over to your left and you will see elevators - make sure you take the one that has the sign for the Sofitel, there are two and they are to the right hand side of the elevator bank.

Out of the elevator you turn right, follow the corridor around and when you get to what you might think is the hotel, it is actually just the car hire place in the lobby. Press on, take the escalator or elevator down one level, turn right, and walk a short way on to the check in desks on your right.

It sounds complicated but actually isn't!

On 2/10/2024 at 7:45 AM, MajSteve said:

Got a reservation at the Sofitel T5...Thanks for all of your advice. Expensive yes, but it's only money!

My only complaint about the Sofitel (as someone who does highly recommend it and stays at it a few times yearly) is that many of the cheaper rooms have interior views. For a short layover where you're mostly sleeping, it's generally not an issue. But something to be aware of...the room will have a window, but it may only look out in to interior parts of the hotel, not exterior. 

Regarding food - I often do arrive at LHR around 10:30pm on that ORD-LHR flight I mentioned earlier, so it's not unusual for me to get to the Sofitel around 11:15pm or so. I usually hit the bar for a drink or two and maybe even a bite, and it's open until midnight. The "small bites" available are decently priced for a nice hotel and can tide you over until morning if needed. 

• Thanks 1

While this topic is open, I have 2 questions.

I'm flyting BA/AA from PRG to RDU.  Flying into LHR T3 and connecting flight is also from T3 the next morning. (15 hours)

I see the Hilton Garden that says T2 and 3 but not clear how far.  Then also Aerotel.  Any thoughts?

Second question.  Last time I flew this route (pre covid) my bag was checked in all the way to RDU and I didn't have to claim and recheck at LHR so they kept it all night.  Is anyone aware if this is still within their policy?

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Host Mike said:

I see the Hilton Garden that says T2 and 3 but not clear how far.

As the crow flies, it's about 300 yards from T3 arrivals (the exit from Customs) to the HGI T2/3. It'll be longer than this by foot, because you have to descend into the underground walkways and get over to the hotel which is more or less attached to T2. But it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes at a gentle walking pace.