Your opinion—Now or Onboard

natshala

Hello all,

we’re very excited about our first VO cruise beginning March 2. Does it make sense to wait until we’re onboard OR to book our next cruise now what with the special ending 2/29? Any opinions welcome. Thank you.

I would wait until onboard as you will receive bigger discount onboard and also an onboard credit for the cruise you are on.  Additionally you should receive 6 month payment terms to book onboard.

The offers change all the time, so although this is what is customary, it may be different.  If the offer you have is so good, then perhaps book before the deadline.

What is the offer that you have?

18 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I would wait until onboard as you will receive bigger discount onboard and also an onboard credit for the cruise you are on.  Additionally you should receive 6 month payment terms to book onboard.

OP could get the 6 month PIF now if requested when booking. I also wouldn’t preclude a bigger discount if waiting. If this were me, I would call my Viking agent (same guy I’ve been using for years) on February 29 and ask for a 72 hour hold. Then see what is offered for March and decide from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, natshala said:

Hello all,

we’re very excited about our first VO cruise beginning March 2. Does it make sense to wait until we’re onboard OR to book our next cruise now what with the special ending 2/29? Any opinions welcome. Thank you.

It makes sense to wait to see if you enjoy cruising with Viking.

• Like 1

At a cost of $25 to book you're not risking much by booking now.  Easy to cancel if you get a better deal, at least this has been my experience.  And you've locked in a price if there's any of these infamous Viking price increases.

Edited by mwike

9 minutes ago, mwike said:

At a cost of $25 to book you're not risking much by booking now.  Easy to cancel if you get a better deal, at least this has been my experience.  And you've locked in a price if there's any of these infamous Viking price increases.

A hold can accomplish the same at no cost if it expires. I would only book now if the desired cruise shows limited availability in the contemplated cabin category and preferred location. I have found the Price & Build website feature very helpful for assessing the extent to which a particular sailing has available cabins.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

A hold can accomplish the same at no cost if it expires. I would only book now if the desired cruise shows limited availability in the contemplated cabin category and preferred location. I have found the Price & Build website feature very helpful for assessing the extent to which a particular sailing has available cabins.

Aren't the holds just for a few days?  One can hold a cruise for much longer with only $25 at risk.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mwike said:

Aren't the holds just for a few days?  One can hold a cruise for much longer with only $25 at risk.  

$50 ($25x2 assuming double occupancy), but yes, for $50, buying the option is definitely reasonable if you're not fully committed to the sailing at the price being offered.

I would wait until onboard. Some promotions have a tendency to roll over to the next month, especially if they are not one of the more popular itineraries. If you book onboard, you will also get an OBC for your current cruise.

• Like 2