Taino Bay Questions -- Duty Free, Seltzers, Beach Day Alternative

Hi friends.  I'm heading out on Adventure in two weeks and Puerto Plata is a stop for us.

Taino Bay looks interesting, given that we have a 5-year-old child and driving a long distance to a beach day is always a hassle when it comes to no car seats.

Here are some questions I'm hoping someone who has been to Taino Bay:

1) Can I buy liquor at the on-site duty-free store and mix my own drinks while hanging out at the Taino Bay pool?  My idea would be to bring a thermos of cranberry juice from the buffet and buy a $15/bottle of vodka instead of paying $8/drink at a manufactured port.  I always like to save a buck if I can.

2) Do any of the Taino Bay bars sell seltzers?  White Claw/Truly/etc?  Mrs. Thinwallet is interested to know.

3) Are we missing out on a beach day by staying at Taino Bay?  We've got Labadee and Coco Cay on this itinerary, so we've got 2 solid beach days + 2 sea days.  That said, I'd rather hang out on a beach than a manufactured port area...so long as the hassle isn't terrible.  If there's a beach day alternative with access to a reasonably priced beach bar with bathroom, good food, a clean beach, and safe/easy for us with a kiddo, please let me know.   I've read a lot about the chaos of leaving the port area.  I'm fine with arranging local transportation in advance if anyone has good recommendations for that too.    

Thanks!!

While I can't answer you about the liquor, seltzers or another beach, I can tell you that Taino makes for a nice "free" day of swimming and hanging out at the port. There's 2 pools (one is quiet and the other will have music and dancing) and they are LARGE. Then there's the really nice (and quite long) lazy river with a lot to see during the float. They also have a little splash area where the water comes up out of the ground. (Surfing as well in another area). The port is very large and beautiful. It's a great port to hang out in. There's no beach there though.

HERE's my review with tons of pictures if you are interested. (We ended up doing the waterfalls that day and then came back and stayed at the port the rest of the day). The port review part starts at post 108.

On 2/15/2024 at 7:49 AM, mitsugirly said:

HERE's my review with tons of pictures if you are interested. (We ended up doing the waterfalls that day and then came back and stayed at the port the rest of the day). The port review part starts at post 108.

I've been following your reviews for years and really appreciate your thorough reports and pictures.  I read through this one on Taino Bay a couple of months ago and it was so very helpful in planning our trip (April on the Getaway!).  Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for always taking time to provide such helpful information.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TenForward said:

I've been following your reviews for years and really appreciate your thorough reports and pictures.  I read through this one on Taino Bay a couple of months ago and it was so very helpful in planning our trip (April on the Getaway!).  Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for always taking time to provide such helpful information.  

Aww, thank you so much. I try to be as helpful as I can. I appreciate your comment. 

• 2 weeks later...