Semi-live from the Bliss - Mexican Riviera - Feb 11-18

OrcaGirl

@OrcaGirl Thank you for this awesome blog! We were following closely as we were sailing on the cruise right after yours (just got back) and it was immensely helpful to learn some "what to expects". One question we had -- were there any unusual delays getting into LA at the end?  We were very surprised at the long delay in cabins being ready on embarkation day. We've sailed NCL a few times before -- just got our gold status with this cruise but we haven't sailed them since before the pandemic.But most cruises it seems like by 1pm you're good to get your cabin but it was well past 3:30 -- so much so that they came on just after 3 and called decks whose cabins were "in acceptable enough condition" to at least allow you to drop off your luggage. We weren't given the "Ok you can stay in cabins" until like 335-350.

Also we were surprised there was only one cabin service per day and it was at really random times - sometimes it was morning; sometimes mid afternoon, sometimes late like during or after dinner. We did hang out in our cabins a bit each day but not like there weren't several hour gaps each day. I could understand if there are fewer cabin attendants these days and it was never an issue as we're not really *needing* twice a day service it was just always a nice touch to come back from dinner and find it turned down with maybe a towel animal. Didn't know if that was something unique to our steward or just a modern sign of the times? We still had a good time. I hope to write my own recap here in a few days of our experiences. Glad you all made it back safely! We're back with a family member on crutches that didn't start the trip needing them but it was post-cruise and not NCL related. But we certainly got to experience the travel challenges when you're down a fully functioning ankle. 

Edited by Sundodger2

5 minutes ago, Sundodger2 said:

Also we were surprised there was only one cabin service per day and it was at really random times - sometimes it was morning; sometimes mid afternoon, sometimes late like during or after dinner.

Welcome to the future. Unfortunately, NCL has been doing once a day cabin cleaning for several months, while charging one of the highest onboard services charges out there. 

22 hours ago, Andoria said:

I sail with my 81-year-old mom at the end of April. I bought her the thermal pass for Mother's Day. Now I'm worried about her falling. Are you allowed to wear water shoes? Any tips you can think of for me to keep her upright?

Water shoes are definitely allowed and I'd highly, highly, highly encourage you to get them for her. I'm a not-so spry (but still good on my toes) 40 year old. I did a little dance a few times as I lost my footing in the thermal suite. I was barefoot. My husband, who is smarter than me, had water shoes and never went almost sea turtle like I. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Andoria said:

I'm glad your mother is okay. You had quite the cruise.

I sailed with my elderly parents at the end of October on the Escape. My dad uses a rollator and still managed to fall the first night in the men's room. A guy in a wheelchair was able to call for help. My dad thought he broke a rib(didn't). I love my dad but I told him our cruising days together have ended. It's too much work and worry and the opposite of relaxing.

I sail with my 81-year-old mom at the end of April. I bought her the thermal pass for Mother's Day. Now I'm worried about her falling. Are you allowed to wear water shoes? Any tips you can think of for me to keep her upright?

If any staff tried to tell you that you couldn't wear water shoes, I'd look them dead in the eye and ask them exactly how many people slip and hurt themselves in the thermal spa each week. (I highly doubt anyone would say that she couldn't wear them. I mean, I saw an old dude on my last cruise wearing his tighty-whiteys in the pool and no one said boo. 🤷‍♀️)

I honestly don't have any other suggestions besides the grippy water shoes, which the Fox and Red both said they'll never cruise without going forward. And we all did penguin walks for the rest of the week since we didn't have them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrcaGirl said:

If any staff tried to tell you that you couldn't wear water shoes, I'd look them dead in the eye and ask them exactly how many people slip and hurt themselves in the thermal spa each week. (I highly doubt anyone would say that she couldn't wear them. I mean, I saw an old dude on my last cruise wearing his tighty-whiteys in the pool and no one said boo. 🤷‍♀️)

I honestly don't have any other suggestions besides the grippy water shoes, which the Fox and Red both said they'll never cruise without going forward. And we all did penguin walks for the rest of the week since we didn't have them.

Just don’t wear them out of the thermal suite and then get in a pool or tub in the suite. Yuck

17 minutes ago, Sundodger2 said:

@OrcaGirl Thank you for this awesome blog! We were following closely as we were sailing on the cruise right after yours (just got back) and it was immensely helpful to learn some "what to expects". One question we had -- were there any unusual delays getting into LA at the end?  We were very surprised at the long delay in cabins being ready on embarkation day. We've sailed NCL a few times before -- just got our gold status with this cruise but we haven't sailed them since before the pandemic.But most cruises it seems like by 1pm you're good to get your cabin but it was well past 3:30 -- so much so that they came on just after 3 and called decks whose cabins were "in acceptable enough condition" to at least allow you to drop off your luggage. We weren't given the "Ok you can stay in cabins" until like 335-350.

Also we were surprised there was only one cabin service per day and it was at really random times - sometimes it was morning; sometimes mid afternoon, sometimes late like during or after dinner. We did hang out in our cabins a bit each day but not like there weren't several hour gaps each day. I could understand if there are fewer cabin attendants these days and it was never an issue as we're not really *needing* twice a day service it was just always a nice touch to come back from dinner and find it turned down with maybe a towel animal. Didn't know if that was something unique to our steward or just a modern sign of the times? We still had a good time. I hope to write my own recap here in a few days of our experiences. Glad you all made it back safely! We're back with a family member on crutches that didn't start the trip needing them but it was post-cruise and not NCL related. But we certainly got to experience the travel challenges when you're down a fully functioning ankle. 

Re: arrival in Los Angeles

I don't know the why, but we did arrive into Port of Los Angeles a bit late. Disembarkation started about 45 minutes later than I would have expected, and the line of people doing self-disembark was craaaaaazy long.

That said, a 3pm-ish or later 'cabins are ready' announcement has been typical on my last 3-4 NCL cruises.

Re: cabins

Sign of modern times. NCL went to once-per-day cabin service last year sometime, and I haven't seen a towel animal since before the restart. Cabin stewards are handling more cabins than ever.

Because of mom's injury, we were often in the cabin during typical cleaning times so our schedule was all over the place, but the steward and his assistant did a great job of keeping the room clean and accommodating our special needs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sundodger2 said:

Also we were surprised there was only one cabin service per day and it was at really random times - sometimes it was morning; sometimes mid afternoon, sometimes late like during or after dinner

As noted - the once-a-day service started in January last year.  The after-3 cabin readiness started last year around the same time as that was when they reduced the number of cabin stewards.

On my cruise (the one before the subject of this thread), the first couple times seemed to be a little late/random but my cabin steward seemed to figure out my schedule and my cabin was usually cleaned by lunch time.

1 hour ago, OrcaGirl said:

Thank you.  Good idea!