Menu In MDR Reviews

MMfan14

1 minute ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I had the same experience on Valor, essentially a noodle dish designed to fill you up with cheap carbs.

Luckily my roommate and I had just ordered it to split as a second main dish so we could have pasta with our chicken parm.

For what I pay for the fare I would be happy with that amount of seafood in that dish, which seems consistent with what I've received in similar dishes from Carnival over the years. If I were paying extra for I would be disappointed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

For what I pay for the fare I would be happy with that amount of seafood in that dish, which seems consistent with what I've received in similar dishes from Carnival over the years. If I were paying extra for I would be disappointed. 

Some here would be disappointed no matter how much or the taste.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Some here would be disappointed no matter how much or the taste.

True. I just saw a post from a local restaurant showing off their seafood Alfredo. Had 3 shrimp and 4 scallops in the picture on top of veggies and pasta, and it had a pile of pasta. Mostly carbs, in other words.

12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

True. I just saw a post from a local restaurant showing off their seafood Alfredo. Had 3 shrimp and 4 scallops in the picture on top of veggies and pasta, and it had a pile of pasta. Mostly carbs, in other words.

So much subjectiveness when it comes to taste.  There are times when someone brags about something I say meh, and other times where the are not impressed and I am wowed.  That said, most are in between those extremes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

So much subjectiveness when it comes to taste.  There are times when someone brags about something I say meh, and other times where the are not impressed and I am wowed.  That said, most are in between those extremes.

ABSOLUTELY. 👏👍True for just  about everything in life!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yes, taste is subjective but the quantity of things is also at issue. Truth be told Carnival has always limited the portions of seafood, one way or another. When we first started sailing them the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail were positively tiny, but as I recall they are at least a more decent size now. It's not like we are sailing on Oceania and paying quadruple or quintuple the fare and the food on Carnival has always passed muster with me.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 2:08 PM, staceyglow said:

And at that time, Carnival cruises were much more expensive in real dollars than they are today.

I don't know how far you were going back with "there was a time", but I know that I have been cruising on Carnival for over 15 years, and we are paying about the same amount for cruises as we did back then - and inflation has increased by almost 50% in that time.

I remember going to a presentation by a travel agent in the early 1990's about cruising. He said that base fares  ran $100 per day per person.  That's about what I pay now - 30 years later.

So yes, for a cruise that costs far less than it used to back in the day, I am not expecting the same service that I received back in the day.

I recently came across my receipt from our honeymoon cruise in 1985.  We paid $1100 for 2 people in an inside stateroom on the Festivale.  Deck 1 no less!  I think it is safe to say that cruises are a bargain now compared to back then.

• Like 2