Age 18 with a Question

harmon25

First off before I ask my question, if I wanted to be condemned about drinking I would have gone to my parents. Frankly responding to this thread with "you're too young to drink alcohol" and "why is drinking onboard so important" is a waste of time because it doesn't help anyone.

I have read posts about people seeing those who are clearly under 21 onboard Carnival who are drunk. Where are they getting this alcohol from? Personally I enjoy mixing Vodka with soda, but I am nervous about whether or not I should bring any vodka onboard. To be on the safe side I willl not being anything. But clearly teens get some type of access to alcohol.

Can anyone explain any of this? REAL answers only please.

Thanks.

I solved this issue by bringing my 25 year old b/f. But I'm sure my circumstances are completely different. (that being I moved out of my house right after I graduated high school and have been living with him, drinking with him, being a "grown up"... etc) My plan is to have him go to the bar and buy drinks, then bring them to me. HAHA I get my drinks and I get them brought to me. WOO HOO!!! but I don't think you'll be able to get drinks on your own (Nor would it be wise) they charge everything to your S&S which shows your age and shows up on the bill your rents get. best bet is to find a friend on the ship who will buy for you.

good luck

Some get it from their parents... some get it from friends that are of age, come on now, you are 18, and obviously you drink, so you know there are ways to do it... I am not condoning nor condemning... I personally don't care to see for a bunch of drunk kids all over the place, and I have very rarely seen that... I'm not sure what happens to an underage person if they are caught bringing it on the ship... I simply don't know. In the ports, most of them, will allow you to drink at 18.

Also, not condoning or condeming, but there have been cases where people that clearly violated the rules were put ashore and not allowed back on board - it is in your cruise contract. Then you are on your own... I don't know how many of these stories are related to drinking.

So, while I am sure lots of kids drink, is it worth the risk to get sloppy drunk and potentially get nabbed by ship security?

Here it is in black and white:

Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

So it is up to you to consider the consequences of your own actions. I do know that on the Triumph the bartenders were carding yes carding anyone the suspected of being under 21. I saw numerous people who had to go back to their rooms and get ID before they would be served.

So you could smuggle some on of you wish, or just wait till you are in a port where you are allowed to drink.

So you could smuggle some on of you wish, or just wait till you are in a port where you are allowed to drink.
Or just not bother with the cruise and stay home and drink there.

First off before I ask my question, if I wanted to be condemned about drinking I would have gone to my parents. Frankly responding to this thread with "you're too young to drink alcohol" and "why is drinking onboard so important" is a waste of time because it doesn't help anyone.

I have read posts about people seeing those who are clearly under 21 onboard Carnival who are drunk. Where are they getting this alcohol from? Personally I enjoy mixing Vodka with soda, but I am nervous about whether or not I should bring any vodka onboard. To be on the safe side I willl not being anything. But clearly teens get some type of access to alcohol.

Thanks.

Okay, first off, I'm 21 and look like I'm still in high school so sometimes I doubt that the under-21s that people witness drinking are always under 21.

I waited until I was 21 to cruise (didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to have someone else buy for me) but I didn't wait until I was 21 to drink. So I'm not about to lecture you! Before I turned 21, I was very careful not to get caught or drink too much because I didn't want to mess up my record or my friends' records.

Honestly, I don't know how they get it. I suppose it'd be friends or parents buying it for them or giving it to them. Or smuggling it on, which I didn't try.

You will be legal to drink in the ports luckily! Just make sure you get back to the ship :D

Where are they getting this alcohol from? Personally I enjoy mixing Vodka with soda, but I am nervous about whether or not I should bring any vodka onboard. To be on the safe side I willl not being anything. But clearly teens get some type of access to alcohol.

Thanks.

lol...well, the age for drinking in canada is 18 & 19,, so come on down! lol

But..seriously... Ummm... It wasnt toooooooo long ago that I was 18 ;) and I would have brought my own. Does anyone truly wait till they are legal age before they have a drink???

Pstt...insulated coffee mug... Fill er up!

( that was the devil in me speaking! lol)

I was on Conquest and 2 different families were kicked off the ship at the next port because their underage kids were caught drinking.

If you think you have to drink, stay in you cabin and have a drink out on your balcony. You will be able to drink in all the ports, just hold off until then.

lol...well, the age for drinking in canada is 18 & 19,, so come on down! lol

But..seriously... Ummm... It wasnt toooooooo long ago that I was 18 ;) and I would have brought my own. Does anyone truly wait till they are legal age before they have a drink???

Pstt...insulated coffee mug... Fill er up!

( that was the devil in me speaking! lol)

cheekie monkey...

I was 25 before I drank.

I would be careful, I think with the Natalie Holloway thing and George Smith, the cruise lines have gotten significantly more aware...

My brother was 18 when we visited Cozumel back in the day. Clearly, we were both intoxicated when getting back onto the cruise ship. The drinking age is 18 in most ports and of course there is no such thing as an ID. Smuggling is popular, but if your parents will be onboard, just ask them. Personally, there is no need to get drunk everyday on the cruise ship. Catch a slight buzz and relax. :)

Harmon, a well written question first off, which in and of itself typically gets information, and not a lot of flames.

My concern here is that you state you are nervous about bringing vodka onboard. If you are nervous now just thinking about it, then I would wager that you will be twice or three times as nervous when you are embarking. In this day and age, cruise line employees, security, customs etc etc look for people who are nervous, acting oddly etc etc. (I suspect your parents probably don't approve of you drinking , as it would be a non-issue if they "smuggled" it aboard).

That knowledge alone would make me think really long and hard about bringing it onboard when I know that in most, if not all, ports, I will be served......

My refrigerator was stocked with the little bottles. I don't recall having asked for them so I assume they are in all cabins. Would I have noticed if a few were gone? Maybe. Would I remember if it was me? Nope.:p

I'm 19 and not a big drinker but if I really felt like having one I could just ask my brother when were on the cruise in may. Thats the nice thing about royal carribean you can have beer and wine at 18 and all they do is punch a hole in your card and your set! Also some of you are wondering well he's 19 just ask your parents welllll they wont be on there. thats right...I said it....parentless cruise :cool: it frickin sucks tho tryin to pay for it! x.X

My refrigerator was stocked with the little bottles. I don't recall having asked for them so I assume they are in all cabins. Would I have noticed if a few were gone? Maybe. Would I remember if it was me? Nope.:p

It may not be a problem...Until whoever the responsible adult paying the Sail and Sign account gets the bill for all those little bottles. Plus you have to get the key from the steward to begin with. Don't know that they would give one to an 18 year old. And it doesn't sound like the OP is drinking with the consent or knowledge of the responsible adult. So that could get a little tricky.

I cruised with a group of 18 year olds last year. They mostly got their beer from ordering through room service. I don't know who signed. Also, some of the parents ordered drinks for them at dinner. It was during Spring Break and I never saw any obnoxious drunk teens except in Cozumel at Senor Frogs.:) Have fun but be careful. Even though you can buy bottles of alcohol in port, you can't bring it aboard or it will be confiscated and you won't get it back.

Just off the Glory!

My 18 year old son had to show his ID to get into the clubs. He was not allowed to drink, however his Dad gave him an occasional beer from the room and he was served at the Captain's party. My 21 year old had to show her ID every time she ordered a drink. She and my 25 year old were were instructed not to try and buy their brother a drink.

You will find it very hard to get a drink from a bar tender. I cannot imagine that room service would serve either without an ID.

BTW - My 18 year old had no interest in going into the teen disco. There were nothing but immature teenie boppers in there (his words) and I can vouch that they were all over the ship as well!

Archived