Does Princess only book cabins below Suites as a GTY?

clojacks

14 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I have been given a cabin number ( at the back of the ship).

Is this unusual?

In what category, how far out from sailing and was it originally booked as a Guarantee?

2 hours ago, clojacks said:

This little pet peeve of mine has led me to some interesting info regarding how Princess handles certain cabin class bookings.. I went through the particular cruise I just booked for this fall and calculated the number of cabins available in my preferred categories as if I was booking for 2 and as if I was booking for 3. I also totaled up how many of each category there are on the Discovery, which is the ship I just booked. We prefer either the Deluxe Balcony or the Mini-Suite since we like to have a sofa or seating area to relax on, instead of sitting at a desk chair or on the bed. On our simple little 7 day cruise down the Mexican coast and back, all Deluxe Balcony cabins are available only as a GTY booking if you are booking for 2. However, if you are booking for 3, every single Deluxe Balcony cabin is available to book. I prefer a DB category, because it is either located mid-forward or mid-aft. There are 83 of that category on the Discovery. Currently, I could have booked any one of 67 different DB category cabins out of 83, if I was booking for 3, but if booking for 2, I can only book a GTY, even though, as I said, there are 67 out of 83 DB still unoccupied. Ironically, 40 of those available DB cabins sit a deck above the life boats, so, while not technically obstructed, my chances of getting one with a view that I would say is obstructed as a GTY, are unfortunately pretty good. I am just going to call my CVP, and I'll see what they say...

Got through to my CVP, and after being "scolded" about how she isn't supposed to do this because I booked with a TA (I didn't, I booked with Princess, but transferred it to my TA), she sharply said, "give me a cabin number", and I did and she changed it from my GTY, but emphasized it with a "this is why you book with a CVP" to which I replied again, that I DID! This is really a bad system for experienced cruisers who do their research and know where they want to be on a ship. I hope this system gets changed....

4 hours ago, clojacks said:

In what category, how far out from sailing and was it originally booked as a Guarantee?

D4. Balcony 

Booked  very slightly less than 9 months ahead.

No it wasn’t originally booked as a guarantee,  but we did use a TA.

It came with Princess Plus.