Monte Carlo - Places to eat & things to do

Cruzin1616

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, D&N said:

Unusually for Regent, Splendours two calls on 21st and 27th appear to be scheduled for the "Rade", which will be anchored outside the port. Although the latter looks as if it's not been verified. Grandeur on 28th is shown on the quay "Digue".

https://www.ports-monaco.com/docs/planning-croisieres-2024.pdf

We are due to dock/anchor Monte Carlo April 27th on the Regent Seven Seas Splendor

What is the "Rade FTV"?

Edited by Cruzin1616

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cruzin1616 said:

We are due to dock/anchor Monte Carlo April 27th on the Regent Seven Seas Splendor

What is the "Rade FTV"?

"Rade" means harbor.  FTV means Fontvieille, the yacht harbor on the west side of Monaco.  Maybe you will tender there.  

I just read the port's website.  There is a long "semi-floating" pier (digue) where cruise ships dock in Port Hercule, the main port.  So that's what they call the long pier at the port. Smaller cruise ships can dock inside the port.

https://www.ports-monaco.com/les-croisieres/

There is the video on that page.  Take a look.

Edited by marazul

15 minutes ago, marazul said:

"Rade" means harbor.  FTV means Fontvieille, the yacht harbor on the west side of Monaco.  Maybe you will tender there.  

I just read the port's website.  There is a long "semi-floating" pier (digue) where cruise ships dock in Port Hercule, the main port.  So that's what they call the long pier at the port. Smaller cruise ships can dock inside the port.

There is the video on that page.  Take a look.

I didn't refresh since your edit. Hadn't thought about FTV meaning that but it makes sense. I suppose they need customs at both ports since many of the small vessels won't be French.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D&N said:

This article, which can be viewed in French, English or Italian explains "Digue" better as they are using the term. We saw (I have photos) a Seabourn ship moored at Quai des Etats-Unis in June 1997. I don't think that happens any more but the "Digue" can take up to 300 metres.

We were at that Quai with Seabourn just 5 or 6 years ago. That's why I said smaller ships dock there.  Digue usually refers to smaller seawalls, but what they built is really a pier.

9 minutes ago, marazul said:

We were at that Quai with Seabourn just 5 or 6 years ago. That's why I said smaller ships dock there.  Digue usually refers to smaller seawalls, but what they built is really a pier.

I had assumed the Quai des Etats Unis was too congested these days but perhaps by moving a few small craft you'd still get a small ship in there.

My main subject that day was Maltese Falcon, I'd not had such a good view of her before.

I found the semi-floating description interesting. I'd assumed it had massive steel and concrete piles going deep down. I'll need to take a closer look next time we are there, for other than a shopping trip 👠.

A7C04572.thumb.JPG.8b74833ce89072f2bf2db43aa8892991.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1