Caribbean Ports

I want to book a cruise. Which Caribbean ports are the least wheelchair friendly? Of course, we would want or need transportation from the ship to the sights. Any suggestions or information would be helpful. I want to get the best bang for the buck and not just get stuck on the ship for 7 days.

Do you use a power (Quantum, Permobil, or similar) or manual wheelchair? Are you capable of transfers to a regular car seat or do you need a vehicle that can accommodate you while you remain in your wheelchair?

Are you prepared to spend $200-500 per day for private tours/vehicles that can accommodate you, your equipment, and 2-3 guests?

I cannot recommend any NCL cruise that stops at Great Stirrup Cay, their private island. GSK is a beautiful island but is not wheelchair accessible. They use tenders that function like landing craft and let people off directly onto the beach. There is no dock, per se.

Thank you for responding. I typically use a quickie powerchair but also have a push chair that I could use if needed. Transferring out of my chair is extremely difficult and requires my husband's help. I prefer to sit in my chair. We prefer the low cost taxi service like we have used in Cozumel but have used higher priced private services in Jamaica. I am mostly interested in info on Belize and Hondurous as we have never been to either. Also on any of the Southern Caribbean Islands.

Accessibility on Roatan is not a problem going ashore, although I don’t know about excursions.  Carnival family of lines ports at Mahogany Bay, it is a port created for cruise ships.  Other lines dock at Coxen Hole.  You could ask on the Ports Of Call boards about excursion companies that you could contact about accessibility.  As for Belize, it is a long tender ride.  The tenders are from the port, and are two levels.  You board on the upper level and debark on the lower.  I have seen wheelchairs onboard, but never determined how they got from one level to the other.  EM

10 hours ago, 1961TxGal said:

Thank you for responding. I typically use a quickie powerchair but also have a push chair that I could use if needed. Transferring out of my chair is extremely difficult and requires my husband's help. I prefer to sit in my chair. We prefer the low cost taxi service like we have used in Cozumel but have used higher priced private services in Jamaica. I am mostly interested in info on Belize and Hondurous as we have never been to either. Also on any of the Southern Caribbean Islands.

We usually get private tours, for both cruises and land-based trips.

That's for two reasons.  First, I need to rest frequently, and also can't keep up with a fast-walking group (or medium-walking!).

Second, we want to customize the itinerary, and also have the ability to say something like, "Oh, this is wonderful, let's stay here longer and skip <whatever>.  Can't do that with others!

But we've also a few times just gotten off the ship, looked for a taxi, and arranged a half or almost full day of something like, "A tour around the entire island", or "... and please include a couple of nicer hotels we could take a quick look at for when we come back for a longer visit", etc.  We've asked to be taken to "a beach with the most gentle surf, please" - and that worked out *very* well!

I guess we've had good luck, but the drivers have turned out to be wonderful; that's not guaranteed, of course.

Arrange a fee before you get into the taxi, either per hour or 'for the day, until <time>" or such.

Arranging a private tour in advance allows you to arrange what you want to see, etc., so that's ideal if possible.

Have fun!

GC

There are few, if any, "low cost" wheelchair-accessible taxis on any Caribbean island, and generally very few accessible taxis, period. Most public buses. where they exist, do not offer wheelchair-accessible services.

Grand Turk is fairly accessible. There is a tour tram that has a ramp for wheeled visitors. Margaritaville does not. however, have a beach or pool wheelchair available.

Aruba. Bonaire. and Curaçao have wheel-accessible areas available straight offf the ship. There are a couple of accessible taxis at Aruba. It's best to reserve for the day or half-day or make a specific arrangement in advance. 

Nassau has not been especially wheelchair friendly. There is a new port area, however, that may be more accessible.

There was at least one fully accessible excursion on Roatan last summer.  It took us to a sloth/monkey/bird sanctuary (a pretty amazing experience in itself if you are an animal lover) and on to an iguana sanctuary.  Lots of sightseeing in between.  About a half day.