Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Have you spoken to people ? I was on Arvia after the LGW delay, those on the 7 day cruise said they wouldn't do it again. Likewise those delayed today didn't get to bed until silly o'clock this morning then had to unpack even later - I doubt they had any sleep last night. Maleth as a dirty word dominated the cruise.

There's hyperbole and then there's reality. That's why they've been binned off. Keep defending it as normal and expected.  

I've seen a mixture of reports over different social media. People have said they wish they had never listened to the negative reviews because they found it fine. Delays suck but they could have had the flight cancelled and missed the first day at sea.

Has it as been discussed by an insider their was not much choice P&O could of done. Please see some of the posts why this has had to happen the way it was. Funny enough you have been replied to by the insider and a post further up by the insider also explains things in detail. If I remember correctly when TUI had pretty bad delays, 767s being loud cramped seating food being bad that was the talk on cruises will it go back to that and discussing how bad the IFE is on TUI or service who knows or will it be about the new airline that P&O are able to get. Always something to moan about on holidays.

People were not binned off so to speak. They did what they had to do. I think anyone in business would of gone for the easiest option and one that still makes them money without potentially going bankrupt. If that came to cancelling cruises and losing loads of money or hiring a company to get you to A-B rather that's with delays incurred and without losing has much money. Again from the insider Maleth has broken the contract and I presume P&O are dealing with that. Please see the facts. 

Edited by carlanthony24

7 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

I've seen a mixture of reports over different social media. People have said they wish they had never listened to the negative reviews because they found it fine. Delays suck but they could have had the flight cancelled and missed the first day at sea.

Has it as been discussed by an insider their was not much choice P&O could of done. Please see some of the posts why this has had to happen the way it was. Funny enough you have been replied to by the insider and a post further up by the insider also explains things in detail. If I remember correctly when TUI had pretty bad delays, 767s being loud cramped seating food being bad that was the talk on cruises will it go back to that and discussing how bad the IFE is on TUI or service who knows or will it be about the new airline that P&O are able to get. Always something to moan about on holidays.

People were not binned off so to speak. They did what they had to do. I think anyone in business would of gone for the easiest option and one that still makes them money without potentially going bankrupt. If that came to cancelling cruises and losing loads of money or hiring a company to get you to A-B rather that's with delays incurred and without losing has much money. Again from the insider Maleth has broken the contract and I presume P&O are dealing with that. Please see the facts. 

Like most on here you are a regular cruiser aside from your obvious connection to the airlines and hospitality industries.  As such I would also assume that if you were subject to serious delays and inadequacies (particularly if you were on holiday for only 7 days) by parties who failed to keep you informed, tried to ignore your communications and generally gave the impression tough, you just might be a little upset and want to complain or vent your anger? 

Your reply about 767 aircraft, entertainment etc is going back very many years and is of little relevance to the problems some, not all, have experienced.  The questions here are on 2023/24 and going forward into 2025/6 so although true old TUI, Thomas Cook etc problems have very little relevance and most likely will lead to even more moving off topic in this thread which started out and should continue to be about P&O's choice of airline partners.

While I fully appreciate everything stated about airlines and aircraft is totally correct and do not in any way dispute any of it, it remains that replies to the people who have had the bad experiences (not I hasten to add by anyone in particular) are beginning to show very little compassion for what in some cases sound like pretty horrendous experiences.  Individuals could surely do without lectures on how the industry works or being told they are unreasonable in expecting an airline to acknowledge their claims for legally.  Until we are living it ourselves with every one of us having different inbuilt "triggers" surely we can offer some empathy rather than pour fuel on the fire of that person's personal anguish? We all react to situations differently, some can sail through adversity some, like myself on Arvia with the noise issue, will find it extremely difficult to cope.  

I do not read most popular social media sites as I am uncomfortable with them and find a lot of what is said there complete nonsense.  That said I have followed this Maleth issue on the TA and airline social media sites and have been totally shocked by the vitriol and mocking of P&O passengers on them by so called "experts" in aviation.  Comments insinuating that the people are buying cheap holidays and should expect it, mocking them for comments which although silly do not deserve to be singled out as individual figures of fun, suggesting their intelligence is low level etc.  I would have expected that those of us who cruise and have taken part on those websites just might have tried to defend the cruise passengers rather than allow people in the US, Middle East etc to belittle them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having technical issues and planes delayed is a different matter and different debate. For all airlines hopefully it's a rarity

I do say it again though

The plane I flew on with Maleth was way more comfortable and enjoyable to fly on then Tui and Virgin dreamliner and BA

I think we give other airlines way too much credit

All of a sudden P and O cruisers taking about Tui like it's a great flight experience?

Come on guys? 

Not  in standard seats it's not. Nor is Virgin. Nor is BA

The Maleth plane we flew on was significantly better in standard seats than all three of those airlines

In terms of legroom and comfort

Which is a huge benefit on a long flight

Have any of you experienced just how bad it is on Tui and Virgin dreamliners in standard when people in front of you recline their seats ?

It's almost bizarre what you are left with?

Theres no wonder so many people feel they need to pay big money for premium economy 

The only advantage those 3 airlines have in the cabins IMO is the entertainment but on Maleth everyone brought their own entertainment and actually talked and interacted far more as well

Never seen so many word searches and puzzle books and crosswords for so long!

Lol

Was a breath of fresh air flight in that respect

Compared to everyone wearing headphones and watching 2 or 3 movies etc

As solos!!

Be careful what you wish for!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Having technical issues and planes delayed is a different matter and different debate. For all airlines hopefully it's a rarity

I do say it again though

The plane I flew on with Maleth was way more comfortable and enjoyable to fly on then Tui and Virgin dreamliner and BA

I think we give other airlines way too much credit

All of a sudden P and O cruisers taking about Tui like it's a great flight experience?

Come on guys? 

Not  in standard seats it's not. Nor is Virgin. Nor is BA

The Maleth plane we flew on was significantly better in standard seats than all three of those airlines

In terms of legroom and comfort

Which is a huge benefit on a long flight

Have any of you experienced just how bad it is on Tui and Virgin dreamliners in standard when people in front of you recline their seats ?

It's almost bizarre what you are left with?

Theres no wonder so many people feel they need to pay big money for premium economy 

The only advantage those 3 airlines have in the cabins IMO is the entertainment but on Maleth everyone brought their own entertainment and actually talked and interacted far more as well

Never seen so many word searches and puzzle books and crosswords for so long!

Lol

Was a breath of fresh air flight in that respect

Compared to everyone wearing headphones and watching 2 or 3 movies etc

As solos!!

Be careful what you wish for!!

That's fine ICF, glad it was good for you.  However others had a lot of problems with delays etc.  I do not think the overall flight comfort is the problem, it's the unreliability and very long delays.  A couple of January cruises lost a port while waiting for arrivals.  

I do understand where you're coming from on comfort in standard but that's across virtually every airline nowadays and is why so many pay to upgrade.  Unfortunately no one is going to be able to get airlines to put passenger comfort top of their list.

It's not a case of what we are wishing for, it's very much a case of P&O acknowledging it simply wasn't good enough.

Back at the beginning of September it was discussed about TUI legroom and acknowledged that in standard there's remains a market leader.  P&O need to charter, TUI do charter (the England football team frequently use their planes) so if it's the best available that's what it is. It's not what people are wishing for so much as something they know and in most cases trust.

If you want tight legroom don't fly internally in the US on some airlines, that really is horrendous.

People love Jet2 on here. Yet most of the aircraft are not brand new. Presumably it's the reliability and quality of service they like.  If Maleth had offered that then maybe others would be sing9their praises too.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That's fine ICF, glad it was good for you.  However others had a lot of problems with delays etc.  I do not think the overall flight comfort is the problem, it's the unreliability and very long delays.  A couple of January cruises lost a port while waiting for arrivals.  

I do understand where you're coming from on comfort in standard but that's across virtually every airline nowadays and is why so many pay to upgrade.  Unfortunately no one is going to be able to get airlines to put passenger comfort top of their list.

It's not a case of what we are wishing for, it's very much a case of P&O acknowledging it simply wasn't good enough.

Back at the being September it was discussed about TUI legroom and acknowledged that in standard there's remains a market leader.  P&O need to charter, TUI do charter (the England football team frequently use their planes) so if it's the best available that's what it is. It's not what people are wishing for so much as something they know and in most cases trust.

Potential flight delays were never the complaint that dominated when Maleth was announced MB

It was all about flight comfort and no longer being able to pay for premium seats

If you remember back?

Something you wouldn't need half as much if the planes P and O used offered the same legroom as my Maleth flight. I hope I get the same plane going back.

Now the Maleth debate has switched to focus on two flights severely delayed due to technical issues etc?

From what I can see?

Yes I sympathise for those that faced that. But it's an entirely different debate. Goalposts got moved to still criticise Maleth IMO

I sat next to a lady who normally flies business class on my Maleth flight out. She was so relieved at what she found on Maleth compared to what she expected.

2 ladies behind me said they will never take notice of social media again having been dreading flying with Maleth.

The "scaremongering" had really worried all three of those ladies. 

I imagine many many others were also severely worried about the experience on board

I personally couldnt believe the legroom and wondered why nobody had been saying how great it was. I walked around to check it wasnt just me

Meanwhile my wife kept saying the staff on here are brilliant. She wouldn't even know who we were flying  with! Stuff like that she's not interested in

The staff were a mixture of French, Spanish, Brazilian, Portuguese, Maltese. All with personality and smiles. They seemed to enjoy their jobs for sure. 

Mostly male staff - all were very charming etc. 

I just warned her to take a puzzle book. Which she's still using now on the ship.

100 per cent comfort was the stick to beat Maleth with when they were announced

Now it's become a delayed flight with no compensation paid to date and now a second long delayed flight

It's no longer comfort or scaremongering about  poor meals or poor service

FWIW the meal I had was cottage pie and later a panini 

My wife had vegetable stew and later a panini

All similar to any food on any plane outside of business class

The debate has changed IMO

Ours was a very happy and I would say surprised and relieved flight

Never heard so much laughing and conversation and fun on planes for so long

Due to the lack of headphones !!

And reclining seats didn't spoil others flights!!

Which is why I say "be careful what you wish for!"

What we now take for granted as being standard on other planes is not good at all in comparison

Comfort wise in standard I give Maleth a 9

Would struggle to give standard in Tui more than a 6 or 7 at best

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Potential flight delays were never the complaint that dominated when Maleth was announced MB

It was all about flight comfort and no longer being able to pay for premium seats

If you remember back?

Something you wouldn't need half as much if the planes P and O used offered the same legroom as my Maleth flight. I hope I get the same plane going back.

Now the Maleth debate has switched to focus on two flights severely delayed due to technical issues etc?

From what I can see?

Yes I sympathise for those that faced that. But it's an entirely different debate. Goalposts got moved to still criticise Maleth IMO

I sat next to a lady who normally flies business class on my Maleth flight out. She was so relieved at what she found on Maleth compared to what she expected.

2 ladies behind me said they will never take notice of social media again having been dreading flying with Maleth.

The "scaremongering" had really worried all three of those ladies. 

I imagine many many others were also severely worried about the experience on board

I personally couldnt believe the legroom and wondered why nobody had been saying how great it was. I walked around to check it wasnt just me

Meanwhile my wife kept saying the staff on here are brilliant. She wouldn't even know who we were flying  with! Stuff like that she's not interested in

The staff were a mixture of French, Spanish, Brazilian, Portuguese, Maltese. All with personality and smiles. They seemed to enjoy their jobs for sure. 

Mostly male staff - all were very charming etc. 

I just warned her to take a puzzle book. Which she's still using now on the ship.

100 per cent comfort was the stick to beat Maleth with when they were announced

Now it's become a delayed flight with no compensation paid to date and now a second long delayed flight

It's no longer comfort or scaremongering about  poor meals or poor service

FWIW the meal I had was cottage pie and later a panini 

My wife had vegetable stew and later a panini

All similar to any food on any plane outside of business class

The debate has changed IMO

Ours was a very happy and I would say surprised and relieved flight

Never heard so much laughing and conversation and fun on planes for so long

Due to the lack of headphones !!

And reclining seats didn't spoil others flights!!

Which is why I say "be careful what you wish for!"

What we now take for granted as being standard on other planes is not good at all in comparison

I'm fully aware what the thread started over and also that I along with yourself, Carl Anthony and others said it's what it is wait and see.  The discussion moved on from there some months back though and anyone who didn't give them a chance really should have.

However sadly they have failed dismally on several occasions, a fact acknowledged by Paul Ludlow in his announcement to travel agents.  It's not just 2 occasions there have been a lot of the problems with relatively "normal" delays of several hours.  On my Gatwick trip 13 January flight we had 20 odd passengers from Manchester who were "paid" to miss a day of their holiday and travel down to Gatwick to fly a day late.  I have it on good authority from onboard Britannia that this also happened on the 30 December flight.  This was due to an aircraft change which meant less seats on the flight were available. These sort of "minor" problems have been occurring all year.

Moley has told us that Maleth has broken their contract "numerous" times.  He would not say that unless it was true, nor would P&O have terminated their association after one season (particularly with the known shortage of suppliers of charters) if their customers were thrilled with their experience.

The quality of the crew, the comfort etc are neither here nor there ICF.  The availability of those crew, ie do Maleth employ enough of them, the service ability and reliability of the aircraft etc are the problem that the passengers are rightly complaining about.  No amount of straw polls amongst people on a flight that's gone well will hide those facts.

As I keep saying the past 48 hours, Maleth have had their moment in the spotlight, P&O and their customers appear not to have liked the experience and now all discussion should move on to where everyone goes from end of March.

• Like 1