opinions on Tahiti with Oceania or Windstar from those who have done both

susiesan

I am looking to return to Tahiti after visiting on  Renaissance cruise back in the 80's. Time frame is February to March 2025. I had hoped to visit Tahiti on a Windstar sailing ship but they only use the Star Breeze now year round. I was on her before she was stretched and did enjoy the ship and the experience, having sailed with Windstar 4 times and with Oceania 6 times. Oceania does this cruise with Nautica. Emphasis for us on this cruise is being in the water to snorkel and swim as there's not a lot of sightseeing in Tahiti.

I have prices on both:

Windstar Star Breeze March 13 ,7 nights, category window suite, cruise only, 5 ports, no sea days, nonrefundable deposit $100

prices out at $473 per day per person plus $400 OBC and a pre or post hotel night or $200 more OBC

Nautica Feb. 5 10 nights, category C1 outside, simply more $600 credit, 6 ports, 2 sea days, nonrefundable deposit $300

prices out at $333 per day per person plus $100 OBC from O as bronze level

The Windstar ship is in the ports much much longer than Oceania is. Windstar has the water sports platform, Oceania does not.

Windstar has 312 pax, Oceania has 620. Both cruises involve tendering.

If anyone has cruised Tahiti on both lines, which did you prefer? Because I've sailed recently with O and AZ on the R ships I'm thinking to do something different on this cruise.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would think with your previous post of unhappiness with Oceania and your love of Windstar that it would not be a question for you....go with the cruise line you like and you will not be disappointed

13 minutes ago, basor said:

I would think with your previous post of unhappiness with Oceania and your love of Windstar that it would not be a question for you....go with the cruise line you like and you will not be disappointed

I am leaning towards Windstar. Now I'm seeing that they have been cancelling some Tahiti cruises for Jan.-March 2025 and chartering the ship. It would be just my luck to choose the March 13 Star Breeze and then have it cancelled shortly after I book it and go back to the Oceania cruise and find the rate has gone way up.

I had also considered Silversea, on a per day rate they had a decent deal for an 11 night cruise, came out to $521 per person per day, but their non refundable deposit of 15% of the fare is a real turn off.

10 hours ago, VacayAddict said:

Have you considered the Paul Gauguin? We’ve enjoyed it three times and hoping to go again. 

PG is not running 7 day Tahiti cruises in 2025 until June. it appears the ship is chartered in Feb. and March 2025 as there are no cruises shown. They are doing the same thing as Windstar, chartering out the ship at this time of year.

Also, their prices are quite high.

• Like 1

Dear Susiesan:

In November 2022 we cruised to Australia on Regatta beginning in Tahiti and visited two other "Tahitian" islands and then went on to Samoa and Figi.  The staff, service and food were outstanding as were the port visits. We did snorkeling  (own equipment) twice on our own and were generally pleased.  In Tahiti we tendered into the ports except for Papeete.  Since the cruise was during Covid we only had 195 passengers!  Not a true comparison to your possible trips but some recent input on a sister ship.

Joel Barry

Did our first Papeete 7 day cruise on The Windstong Great cruise.

We did Sydney to Auckland on Naitica few years later Papeete to Sydney also Naitica and then in 2014 Los Angeles to Papeete on Naitica 

We. just booked for January 8 2025. Los Angeles to Papeete  on Naitica love Oceania LOL

I decided on cruising Tahiti with Windstar on Star Breeze. I booked a 7 day cruise only for April 10, 2025. I don't have to pay for shore ex I don't want and wine I don't drink. I do get a 1 night post cruise hotel stay as a perk from a current promotion. Cruising in Tahiti with 300 people instead of 620 will be a much better experience. The Breeze was recently updated, the cabins are all suites with big bathrooms. Plus the non refundable part of the deposit is only $100.

10 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I decided on cruising Tahiti with Windstar on Star Breeze. I booked a 7 day cruise only for April 10, 2025. I don't have to pay for shore ex I don't want and wine I don't drink. I do get a 1 night post cruise hotel stay as a perk from a current promotion. Cruising in Tahiti with 300 people instead of 620 will be a much better experience. The Breeze was recently updated, the cabins are all suites with big bathrooms. Plus the non refundable part of the deposit is only $100.

Enjoy your cruise on Windstar - I am sure you will be very happy with this decision as you have been happy with Windstar before...

• Like 1