Off the beaten path tour recommendations St. Thomas/St. John

Hello! We are headed on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy with a stop in St. Thomas on June 5 (7:45-3:45). I believe the Icon of the Seas is also in port that day (arriving at 7 am) so I'm a bit worried that many areas/excursions will be super crowded.

Any recommendations for excursions/on your own adventures for a family of three (two adults in our 50s, one 12 year old boy, all moderately fit) that might be less crowded? We are likely doing a day sail/snorkel out of Tortola the day before (private booking not through cruise ship). I'm curious if the snorkeling in St. Thomas is similar/better (this will be our first time).

I had been considering the "Discover Scuba" excursion (Shipwreck Cove) through our cruise ship, but it requires age 14 and up. I'm assuming we could do this through a local outfit with a 12 year old (I believe PADI only requires age 10 and up). Is it worth it? If we did this, we'd probably try a Discover Scuba class at home in a pool first just to make sure the kid would be game for it.

As an alternative I was also looking at some of the 3 hour kayak/hike/snorkel trips - either Cas Cay mangrove area (could book through cruise ship or on our own) or St. John starting from Honeymoon beach (not through cruise ship). Has anyone done these and have recommendations? Will the "hike" part be too miserable in the summer heat? We enjoyed kayaking on our Alaska cruise, but the kid would not be up for a full day kayak adventure.

I know we could also ferry/taxi to a beach area and snorkel on our own. Recommendations? Not necessarily looking for crowded loungers/bar vibe.

I suppose in my ideal world we would have stunning views, lonely beaches, cool sea creatures (would love to see a sea turtle!) and of course make it back to the ship on time.

There are some excursion providers that limit the numbers to keep their groups small. The hike on the kayak tour is very, very easy, but before covid their tours could sometimes be crowded. No turtles in the mangroves.

If you want to see turtles, this company has long offered guaranteed turtle sighting in small groups. The tours fill up fast so don't wait too long!

https://www.stthomasadventuretours.com/

Thanks for the suggestion with the guaranteed turtle sightings. That looks promising!

I see that they run out of the Emerald beach area. Any ideas if there taxis from where the Disney Fantasy docks over to Emerald Beach?

Yes, there are taxis at the Havensight dock, and they are SUPPOSED to take people wherever they want to go. BUT, taxi drivers most places try to steer people to popular areas so they can get more passengers for the round trip.

From what I have seen you have to be firm and insist to be taken to Emerald. But, Emerald and Water Island have gotten more popular over the years so taxi drivers may be more willing to take Havensite guests to Emerald.

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing this out here...you mentioned Discover Scuba. We do the Discover Scuba Dives everywhere we go in the Caribbean and LOVE it. Our very first time was in St Thomas at Coki Beach with Coki Dive Center (located right there on the beach). We had such a great time that we have returned two more times and did it again. It's an easy dive, right from shore, and the dive instructors have been amazing. They are very patient with you and you don't go far but there's a lot to see. 

I have several reviews with a lot of pictures during our dives if you are interested. 

2022 dive

2016 first dive ever

Our dive 3 months ago  (starts at post #136) 

I would recommend Fury Charters. They offer half day trips to snorkel with turtles, and leave from Havensight, so that you don’t have to deal with taxis. They keep it to only 12 passengers and it is a great time.