First time Holland America and first time solo travelling

I've sailed solo for a long time. I always request main fixed table for 6 or 8. That way I have dining companions. If I end up at an empty table, I ask to be moved to a table with at least two other people. I like eating with the same people and getting to know them and having the same waiters. 

As far as the Pinnacle, you can join a roll call and see if someone will let you join their dinner. Or make your own solo reservation and hopefully meet people to dine with on the ship. Don't count on solo meetups, though. My recent 2 week Asia cruise had 1solo meet up and it was timed such I couldn't make dinner. And that has been the timing for the last 3 cruises.

Another thought on dining at Pinnacle. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is quiet, so concentrate on enjoying the meal and don't think so much about being alone--it's hard, I know, but Pinnacle (and Canaletto for that matter) doesn't have the vastness of the MDR so you feel less visible. Or at least I did.  

I ate there on my own on my last cruise (Zaandam). There were three 2-tops in a row, banquette on one side, chairs on the other. it was a slow night, and I was the only one sitting at one of those tables. I chose the banquette side, and the waiter removed the place setting at the chair. Then he took the candle, bread basket, and flowers that are usually crammed together at the side and spread them out across from me. That and the fact that I didn't have a couple right next to me made me feel less like the only solo in a world set up for couples. I don't know if they always do that, but it was a nice gesture. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 4:32 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's how I felt about it on Koningsdam. CO was new, and at the time, only for Neptune and Pinnacle suties. It hadn't existed when I booked the cruise and requested early fixed dining. I was not happy to see the change to open dining on my booking. And when I got onboard, I took one look at that glass box and saw all those two-tops and figured I would be eating alone, poor sad me, for all the world to walk by and see. I was newly widowed (6 months), so probably over-sensitive, but I just had a horrible reaction to the place. I think there was one table for 6, and what were the odds that I would arrive when other people looking to share arrived? 

So I asked to go back to the MDR, large table early fixed dining, and I was allowed to do that. At breakfast, I prefer to eat alone, so I did go back to CO for that. I appreciate that they accommodated my wishes. 

I like the fixed table because I get to know my dinner companions. It's fun to meet and talk about what you did that day and what your plans are for the next port. Even when DH was alive, we liked a large table. I know people worry about not liking their dining companions. In more than 50 cruises, I can remember two less than wonderful companions. But one person at a table for 6 or 8 won't bring down the group if the rest of you don't let them. 

I am in the exact same situation as 3rdGenCunarder described in her answer.
Originally I would have been making a trip to Lapland this week ( not a cruise) with a friend, but I broke my foot a couple of weeks ago, so had to cancel. That is when I decided to make a cruise to the fjords. This cruise is leaving from Rotterdam, which is not even 30 miles from my home, so very convenient. I will only book when my foot has healed enough that I can walk some distance without crutches or a walker. 

Thank you all so much for your kind answers. It has given me a lot to think about.

But I already found one solo traveller on the roll call, so who knows how things might go.

I did my first solo cruise in May on the Nieuw Statendam and loved club orange. People were happy to share if I wanted to and I was pampered by the staff. I prefer the smaller dining room when I chose to eat alone and didn’t feel really up by the MDR. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 6:02 PM, oakridger said:

I haven't seen officers dining with guests in the MDR on HAL on any of my cruises since 2006.  Does this actually happen on HAL these days?  

~Nancy

I have only recently seen officers dining with guests at the Mariner lunch Dec/Jan on K'dam. They had name cards w/their title placed at designated spots throughout the dining room.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1