Boarding Time in San Juan

Has anyone sailed on the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan recently, and can you tell me if one is able to drop their luggage off at the ship around 11:00am? They don't have boarding times before 2:30 but we're Landing in San Juan at 10:30am and would like to spend some time in Old San Juan before boarding later in the afternoon.

Posted (edited)

I am not aware of any time restrictions regarding luggage drop off.  The porters don't check your boarding time, they just confirm your docs and luggage tags.  We have done this before, albeit not for several years, in PR, as well as other ports.  BTW if interested Uber works well in OSJ.  We have used them in the past for exactly what you are planning to do.  We have arranged with our driver to meet us at a given location and time for our return to the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)

We have cruised out of San Juan many times and will be doing it again in 9 days. We always arrive at the pier at 11:00, regardless of our assigned check-in time. I have been following some of the live threads in recent weeks and they are reporting that check-in is beginning around 11:00 so that would mean you could drop your luggage off at that time, maybe even sooner. The reports also say that they are not enforcing check-in times so even if you have a 2:30 time, you probably will be allowed to check in at 11:00ish.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The reports also say that they are not enforcing check-in times so even if you have a 2:30 time, you probably will be allowed to check in at 11:00ish.

After boarding you can then leave the ship to do your sightseeing and then return.  You just need to be back on board by 90 minutes prior to departure at the latest.  Referencing my first response, this is what we have done in OSJ when departing from there,

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the feedback.  We haven't sailed from San Juan since the restart, However, prior to that we've sail from there many times, I was just making sure that things had not changed with these "new" boarding "appointments". 

Thanks again,

Brian