Disembark in DAIKOKU

Ombud

I'm disembarking in Daikoku 27-April for an 11pm flight from Haneda and apparently Daikoku is on an island. Although Rome2Rio states I could walk to Yamashita Park it looks like a freeway. I have confirmed with the port that bus 109 to the park may not be operating that day. I did sign up for the A$220 disembark tour but been there / did that / prefer to see Yokohoma this time. 

2 prong question:

1. Where to store 22" carryon which might weigh 20 lbs. (9K)

2. Best way to get off dock

Take a taxi from Daikoku into Yokohama.

You can store your bag in a locker at any train station, or leave it with the Bell Desk at any hotel.

Do your Yokohama Tour.

Pick up your bag and catch a shuttle or taxi to Haneda.

• Like 1

They usually provide complimentary shuttles between Daikoku and Yamashita Park. From Yamashita Park you can walk about three short blocks down to take the Minato Mirai subway to Yokohama station. There's so much to see just at that huge station. You can also take the Airport Limousine at YCAT there to Haneda. Very easy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

That would be perfect @ROCruiser. Is that a cruise line shuttle or a port shuttle or does it depend on the cruise line?

I am not sure who provided the shuttles. We did not know about the shuttles when we boarded the Diamond Princess at Daikoku March of 2023. We were told by passengers after the fact that they got on the free shuttles from Yamashita Park while we took a taxi there. In May of 2023, we got smarter and booked a hotel room across from Yamashita Park, walked over there the next morning and took the first shuttle over to Daikoku for our transpacific cruise on the Cunard QE. You may be able to see the videos listed in my signature. Another idea is to contact your cruise line and see if shuttles are provided just to be sure.

Thank you @ROCruiser! I looked at a number of the videos & that sets my mind at ease. Can hardly wait and will definitely go to the market & also the Pancake House (yes those fluffy pancakes look delicious) 

• Like 1

If I were landing at an international airport, I may at times pre-book an airport vehicle pick-up service to take me to the hotel. But how would one arrange that for a cruise terminal, when I have no idea what time I would be getting off the ship and, after completing all the customs/immigration processes, finally be available for pick-up? Has anyone any experience with this? Thanks.

@Leelooczj (note: haven't done this in Yokohama) generally I just grab the 1st cab in the long line of cabs waiting for us to disembark. They are / have been at every port waiting for cruisers and almost everywhere (except a few middle eastern countries, definitely wasn't an issue at Narita before) cabbies are regulated so fares are consistent 

22 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Leelooczj (note: haven't done this in Yokohama) generally I just grab the 1st cab in the long line of cabs waiting for us to disembark. They are / have been at every port waiting for cruisers and almost everywhere (except a few middle eastern countries, definitely wasn't an issue at Narita before) cabbies are regulated so fares are consistent 

If your flight depart late, taxi from Daikoku terminal to Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT) in sky bldg, under 2700 yen. Direct airport buses to Narita or Handel. No need to spend $200 on taxi fare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

If your flight depart late, taxi from Daikoku terminal to Yokohama City Air Terminal (YCAT) in sky bldg, under 2700 yen. Direct airport buses to Narita or Handel. No need to spend $200 on taxi fare.

I'm thinking of taking the Keikyu bus from the Yamashita stop right outside Chinatown. Thought about Red Brick Warehouse but that doesn't look as interesting as Daisekai Market. 

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm thinking of taking the Keikyu bus from the Yamashita stop right outside Chinatown. Thought about Red Brick Warehouse but that doesn't look as interesting as Daisekai Market. 

You fly out from Narita or Haneda ? Keikyu bus only operates between Yokohama and Haneda . https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-yamashita/
Here is the timetable from Yokohama Chinatown, frequency is every 30 min , schedule not as good from YCAT terminal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monkey@cruise said:

You fly out from Narita or Haneda ? Keikyu bus only operates between Yokohama and Haneda . https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-yamashita/
Here is the timetable from Yokohama Chinatown, frequency is every 30 min , schedule not as good from YCAT terminal. 

I changed my flight & now fly out of Haneda at 10:55 pm. So I've plenty of time. If Keikyu bus is full I will take the train. Planning on getting to the airport around 6pm, have dinner, walk around a bit outside. Maybe drop into that hanger with the airplane museum. Hope 3 hrs is enough time to check in and go thru security.  

34 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I changed my flight & now fly out of Haneda at 10:55 pm. So I've plenty of time. If Keikyu bus is full I will take the train. Planning on getting to the airport around 6pm, have dinner, walk around a bit outside. Maybe drop into that hanger with the airplane museum. Hope 3 hrs is enough time to check in and go thru security.  

My Japan flight always leave late at night from Haneda. Usually after disembark, took the bus to Haneda and store my luggage ( lockers or counter services), then take the train to explore Tokyo, back Haneda about 6pm, large food courts in T2 and T3, have a quick meal, retrieve my luggage to check in.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 12:54 AM, Ombud said:

Forgot to thank you for your response...thanks! 🙂

• Like 1