Celebrity Xpedition March 28, 2024

MJM9166

Hard to believe there’s no board for this sailing! Am I missing it? While we’re super excited about exploring the Galapagos we’re concerned about the political and criminal situation in the country. Awaiting updates from Celebrity as USA’s State Department has issued a Level 2 alert for the Quito area and Levels 3 and 4 (stay away) for most of the rest of the country. 

@prmssk posted a well written Xpedition Northern Loop thread with excellent photos back in November (link).  It is a terrific  read.

I took the following Xpedition sailing (Southern Loop) over Thanksgiving last year and I also posted a live thread with photos (link).

If you have already seen them, my apologies.

@sandiego1 took an Xpedition cruise earlier this year when things erupted.  She only purchased the cruise and cobbled together her own land package.  She didn't post a live thread but she has posted commentary about her trip--including how the ship was only half full because of multiple cancellations from the civil unrest.

A level 2 isn't anything to worry about.  Many EU countries like Germany are a level 2.  Many countries Celebrity cruises to are level 2 and even level 3.

Guayaquil and surrounding areas have been a level 3 and 4 for quite some time but the Celebrity land/cruise tours don't go anywhere near that area.  The most recent issues in January have really settled down a lot.

Obviously, you have to make your own call but I personally wouldn't have any concern going back today.  Quito is a big city so you need to take normal big city precautions and Celebrity does include a guard with their city tour (at least the morning portion in the city) but I never felt unsafe.  Celebrity really does an amazing job with this land/cruise tour.

If you plan to do any touring on your own, the JW Marriott, where Celebrity puts up guests on the land portion of the tour, is a great resource to connect you with a driver or tours.

I hope you have an amazing time.  I wish I could go back but my husband says it isn't in the budget for the near (or far) future at all.  Maybe someday, I'll convince him....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

There is a roll call board for Xpedition although it is never very busy.  Here is the link: Celebrity Xpedition Roll Call.

Wait, I see that you actually started a roll call and it has a tiny bit of activity.

Thanks for reminding me I DID start another board so long ago. Boy am I embarrassed. We can all have a good laugh onboard. Drinks on me. 

• Haha 1