Noise from life boats / tenders.

Elsie70

We typically only book deck three of Viking Ocean and we have been the first cabin in from the Atrium and never had any issue with noise from the lifeboats/tender boats.  The lifeboats are along both sides of the Atrium on deck 3, so if you are close to the atrium then you are close to the lifeboats.

I have also sat in the atrium while sailing and never heard any noise.  

I also walk the deck 2 under the lifeboats and have never noticed any noise while the ship is sailing.

Perhaps those that have stayed in cabins directly above the lifeboats might have some input?

• Like 1

The boats, when stowed, are tightly strapped into the davits to prevent them from moving, so eliminating noise.  If they weren't strapped, they would be in pieces very quickly, as fiberglass always loses out to steel.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope 

Ok, short version.  We were in 4054 just above the bow of tender 2.  The bump out in our cabin hides a structural steel member and also has, one deck below, the steel landing notch which receives the steel knuckle on the boat.  When the ship had some motion on it a steady bang came up the steel member.  I had a good idea what it was from boat drills on my old ships.  So, after calls to the guest services produced no relief, went down to three deck at 3 am and went through the crew only door in the atrium.  The boat was stowed with the mechanical davits but the locking ratchet had not snugged the last quarter inch or so.  About 6 good pulls on the ratchet and bingo, no more noise.  Later that day the GM stopped by us in the bar and asked if things were better and I said they were.  Told him I fixed it and how.  His eyes widened and he said show me.  So I took him out there and showed him how to finish the securing.  He said he would see that the deck crew were retrained.  He then said "please do not do that again".  We had no more problem...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 7:55 PM, Elsie70 said:

is noise an issue in cabins near the tender boats? Especially at night when the ship is travelling.

Spent 3 months in a cabin above the boats. Didn't experience Jim's issue, as he had already retrained the deck ratings.

You do hear a faint electric motor occasionally, which is topping up the accumulator systems, which is required to launch the Survival Craft in the event of a power failure. Most pax probably didn't even hear it.

• Like 2