Redeeming Carnival Gift Cards

I recently purchased a discounted Carnival gift card through AARP, my wondering is should I apply it to purchasing cruise cash (online) prior to sailing or redeem it on the ship. Not sure of any pitfalls either way.

17 minutes ago, mr. godfredo said:

I recently purchased a discounted Carnival gift card through AARP, my wondering is should I apply it to purchasing cruise cash (online) prior to sailing or redeem it on the ship. Not sure of any pitfalls either way.

I use them every cruise.  The most fool proof way is to put a credit card on your sail and sign, then apply gift cards once I make charges.  No dealing with refunds and gift cards are good forever.  Cruise cash is unrefundable.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I use them every cruise.  The most fool proof way is to put a credit card on your sail and sign, then apply gift cards once I make charges.  No dealing with refunds and gift cards are good forever.  Cruise cash is unrefundable.  

So just settle on the ship is what I am hearing. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mr. godfredo said:

We purchase gift cards and use them to pay the cruise fare prior to sailing.  We also purchase them to fund our sign and sail account. We prefer not to mess with cruise cash. Not an issue to add the gift cards to our sign and sail account when checking in at the port,  or when we first board. You can also use them pre cruise to pay for specialty dining, internet, excursions etc.

Edited by bar1068
words missing

18 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

We purchase gift cards and use them to pay the cruise fare prior to sailing.  We also purchase them to fund our sign and sail account. We prefer not to mess with cruise cash. Not an issue to add the gift cards to our sign and sail account when checking in at the port,  or when we first board. You can also use them pre cruise to pay for specialty dining, internet, excursions etc.

Except should you need to cancel, you need to wait for new gift cards (that can go missing in transit) be sent.  

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except should you need to cancel, you need to wait for new gift cards (that can go missing in transit) be sent.  

Not sure what that means. I only get egift cards...Have had to cancel. Refunds were fast and easy...usually refunds go back to original card...or a new ecard is emailed. Nothing missing.

Posted (edited)

I add them on board as needed. What’s left over (over$10.) will be refunded by a gift card mailed to you after sailing. I try not to add too much, to avoid dealing with a refund. 

Edited by Indiansbaseball
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Not sure what that means. I only get egift cards...Have had to cancel. Refunds were fast and easy...usually refunds go back to original card...or a new ecard is emailed. Nothing missing.

Gift card refunds are always new gift cards issued.  Gift cards are also subject to lost mail and porch pirates when sent UPS/FedEx.  Remaining funds under a certain amount are also not refunded but donated to St. Judes and mistakes happens, refunds aren't processed.  Always better to keep your money close than expect others to do it for you.

• Like 1

Just add the gift cards to your S&S at guest services or a kiosk.  I usually just go on the last night of the cruise so I know how much I need and don't have to deal with getting a refund.

• Like 5

I didn't buy that many gift cards to worry about it, used them to pay for Cheers and our excursions and the balance I used to purchase Cruise Cash. DW is unaware of the term "unused Cruise Cash", so I have no worries in that regard. Just one less thing I have to do once I board. There is no one size fits all answer and since it's personal choice no real wrong answer, either. Just because I do something differently than someone else it doesn't make either one of us wrong.

15 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Gift card refunds are always new gift cards issued.  Gift cards are also subject to lost mail and porch pirates when sent UPS/FedEx.  Remaining funds under a certain amount are also not refunded but donated to St. Judes and mistakes happens, refunds aren't processed.  Always better to keep your money close than expect others to do it for you.

Well..again...we've not used plastic gift cards for at least the last dozen or so cruises we've been on, egift cards work well for us. No concern at all with shipping or delivery issues. We use egift to pay our cruise fare, onboard expenses and other items like internet or water we purchase pre-cruise. Same thing...this is what has and continues to work for us. We've saved probably thousands now using them over the years.

Our use of egift cards has worked, and continues to work for us.

• Like 1

Adding them at the Kiosk is easy.  Just swipe your Sign and Sail card, and add funds to account using the AARP certificate number and the pin that is printed on the certificate (of course you have to bring them with you or transfer from your phone)

4 hours ago, bar1068 said:

Well..again...we've not used plastic gift cards for at least the last dozen or so cruises we've been on, egift cards work well for us. No concern at all with shipping or delivery issues. We use egift to pay our cruise fare, onboard expenses and other items like internet or water we purchase pre-cruise. Same thing...this is what has and continues to work for us. We've saved probably thousands now using them over the years.

Our use of egift cards has worked, and continues to work for us.

Based on many other posts, you have been very lucky if refunds from Carnival were successful.  No one was reporting an issue with purchasing them from AARP.  

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Based on many other posts, you have been very lucky if refunds from Carnival were successful.  No one was reporting an issue with purchasing them from AARP.  

Thats pretty much the only source I get them from. Got a few from Allstate until they stopped offering them.