Queen Mary 2 Balcony cabin choice - decks 8, 11 or 12

Megabear2

Posted (edited)

Due to a family commitment I am currently rearranging a trip booked for this year on Queen Anne to something departing before 8 September 2025.  I am seriously considering the 21 day transatlantic on QM2 round trip Southampton via Norway, Iceland, Canada, New York.

Speaking to Cunard today I have been offered a few balcony options, most of which are deck 11 but with four on deck 8 and two on deck 12 thrown into the mix.  I have sailed QM2 many times but mainly in deck 2 or 3 singles or insides, one trip in deck 8 obstructed balcony being the other one.  We are on QM2 for the 35 night January Caribbean next year anc chose a sheltered balcony but this time round with summer sailing wanted a "normal" one.

I'd therefore much appreciate some advice/help on these remaining few cabins. Choices are:

8002, 8003, 8008 or 8012

12002, 12008

11062, 64, 68, 72, 76, 78, 82, 90, 94

11112, 11114

I am assuming the Norwegian/Iceland section will be quite scenic and we would want to use the balcony quite a bit and hopefully, fingers crossed, even on the transatlantic sections.  My husband has never sailed in/out of New York, in fact he's never been there so again choice of cabin if it influences this would be helpful.

Many thanks.

Edited by Megabear2

I posted yesterday that we have previously sailed in 11105 and 11107.Great except for the overhang from deck 12.This is the walkway that goes part away along the length of the ship.I am presuming it is on the port side as well.We have booked to visit Norway in 2025 but have moved our cabin further down to 11069 so not to have the overhang.

46 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

I posted yesterday that we have previously sailed in 11105 and 11107.Great except for the overhang from deck 12.This is the walkway that goes part away along the length of the ship.I am presuming it is on the port side as well.We have booked to visit Norway in 2025 but have moved our cabin further down to 11069 so not to have the overhang.

Thank you.  I was unaware of the overhang!  If you are in 11069 I assume these would avoid it too?

11068, 72, 76, 78, 82, 85, 90, 94.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  I was unaware of the overhang!  If you are in 11069 I assume these would avoid it too?

11068, 72, 76, 78, 82, 85, 90, 94.

The overhang on deck 11 occurs where the deck plans show deck 12 widens just forward of the boundary between Mid Forward and Midships. That includes even-numbered cabins 11058 and above on the port side and odd-numbered cabins 11081 and above on the starboard side.

Here is one of my photos showing the view from the balcony of cabin 11129 with the overhang. I personally didn't find the overhang to be much of an issue.

QM2Balcony11129.thumb.jpg.b1620722c57ffa676b0a1929b765bdbe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all.  Motion sickness isn't thankfully generally a problem so 8 and 12 wouldn't be a problem from that point of view.

I was looking at possibly 11085 as on another topic I noted comments it was good for viewing the sail out of New York to be on the starboard side.

I assume the overhang stops any sun entering the balcony?  My only experience of that sort of thing was on deck 15 of P&O Britannia but it was welcomed as it was in the Caribbean.

Overall of the 18 available cabins are any of them considered better or worse than each other or are they all about the same and a personal preference on position.

Thanks again.

Our voyages in those two cabins,11105,11107 was to the Carribean, and it did keep the sun off the balcony.I think my feet were the only part of me that caught the sun when I was sitting there.I don’t think we spent very much time on the balcony.far too much to do.

Our holiday started in New York, and it was wonderful to arrive in the cabin, go out onto the balcony, and whow! the view ,looking up towards Manhattan,the Brooklyn Bridge, and in the other direction to the Statue of Liberty.Both times the sun shone and the sky was blue.

I was even up to see us go under the Verrazano Bridge and see the Statue all it up.Wonderful.x

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Millieloulou said:

Our voyages in those two cabins,11105,11107 was to the Carribean, and it did keep the sun off the balcony.I think my feet were the only part of me that caught the sun when I was sitting there.I don’t think we spent very much time on the balcony.far too much to do.

Our holiday started in New York, and it was wonderful to arrive in the cabin, go out onto the balcony, and whow! the view ,looking up towards Manhattan,the Brooklyn Bridge, and in the other direction to the Statue of Liberty.Both times the sun shone and the sky was blue.

I was even up to see us go under the Verrazano Bridge and see the Statue all it up.Wonderful.x

So the starboard cabin will be the one gor the view leaving New York based on this. Thank you.