Suggestions for Caribbean Cruise Months

Daruma

Hello, folks, 

I'd like to try taking a cruise every 6 months, while avoiding Hurricane Season, (June 1 - November 30).

That's a narrow window when trying to avoid potential hurricanes, however I've lived in the Tampa Bay area of Florida for 30 years, so I'm well familiar with Hurricane Season and the fact that it ramps up in August through the end of October ... being less active June, July, and November. 

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the weather/temps in the Caribbean during those times of year. 

So, if you were trying to book a cruise every 6 months, and not freeze, or at least not freeze in the water... may I ask your suggestions and advice please? 

Being VV at least I don't have to manuver around kids' vacation times, lol. 

Thank you for your time. 

Take care, 

Lou

Posted (edited)

We like spring and fall.  Yes, we've had cruises impacted by hurricanes, but only one was a real issue...otherwise the captain will take the ship away from the weather.  THat might mean missing a port or having an alternative port, but that can be fun--new places to visit.

Our usuals have been March before spring breaks start and September.  THat isn't such a big deal on VV as no kids, but you may want to avoid the spring break crowd...longer cruises = less rowdy also.  September weather is great--warm, sunny, good swimming, snorkeling, etc.  Early March can be a little cooler than I'd like sometimes, but worth a little early to avoid the kids.    Summer is too hot, crowded, and generally has higher fares. Just my opinion.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

We like spring and fall.  Yes, we've had cruises impacted by hurricanes, but only one was a real issue...otherwise the captain will take the ship away from the weather.  THat might mean missing a port or having an alternative port, but that can be fun--new places to visit.

Thank you. 

Our last cruise, about 15 yrs ago on Disney, Hurricane Irene was rampaging through. 

We apparently came within 120 miles of it on the first day/evening, and the boat was ROCKIN'!! 

By late afternoon my wife and son, (8 yrs old at the time), were DONE. Green around the gills, and nauseous as heck. 

I don't get motion sick so I went up to the pool... there were a few others up there, and we proceeded to walk across the deck, it would surge upwards to the point we'd all turn around and run "down" the deck... then it would heave the other way, slowing our ascent, we'd turn back around and run back "down," lather, rinse, repeat. 

Then we'd get into the center of the pool, and watch as the ship rocked and the water raised to the edge, spilling out some then swish up the other side as the boat heaved. 

The 2nd day all was fine. We went to dinner that night, my family having recovered, and the waitress told us that between the two dinner seatings she had 32 families... only TWO showed up the night before, lol. 

We got aced out of one port stop; Barbados, but then went there the next day because Disney's private island couldn't take us. 

18 hours ago, Daruma said:

I'd like to try taking a cruise every 6 months, while avoiding Hurricane Season, (June 1 - November 30).

I will say we've been cruising hurricane season pretty much from our first cruise since our wedding anniversary is in Sept. Most notably leaving Miami 3 days before Hurricane Irma hit St. Thomas, one of the largest Cat 5 storms in a very long time. We simply changed itineraries and had some of the best weather ever over our 11 day cruise. We've not experienced anything close to the conditions you described except this past December during all the bad storms that came through the Caribbean. Even then, it wasn't much the ships couldn't handle. 🙂 

Temps in the Caribbean don't fluctuate all that much, yes it does get hotter in the summer, but in general it's pretty temperate all year. It's the humidity and water temperature that really changes. High humidity in the summer and generally December - March for the chilliest water.