Drink package question... 2 free do I need to buy more...

It has been a few years since I've sailed 😭 but happy to get back to the sea.  I haven't ever taken advantage of drink packages, but I did this time where we get 2 packages free. It will be myself and 3 kids sailing.  So, we got the one alcohol package and the soda package added on to our booking.  But I was always under the impression the entire cabin needed to purchase drink packages.  So, 2 of my kids do not currently have the package nor do they NEED the package. Is this something that when I go to check in, they will be forcing me to add on or do I not actually have to get it for them?

well, it really depends on what those other two kids will be drinking during the cruise. you say they don’t need the package. why is that? are they babes in arms? will they just be drinking water in restaurants and juice and water and coffee in the buffet? or will they be planning to drink sodas, too? in that case, yes, they would also need the soda package.

We don’t ever buy drinks on cruises because we don’t really do soda so they think it’s not even an option and NCL attached the soda package to the youngests name so it works to my advantage. I just know the rule used to be that EVERYONE had to have a drink package in the room if you got any sort of drink package. So I did not want to get a surprise you owe another $170 you weren’t budgeting because you have to get the package for the other 2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JYeagersGrl said:

We don’t ever buy drinks on cruises because we don’t really do soda so they think it’s not even an option and NCL attached the soda package to the youngests name so it works to my advantage. I just know the rule used to be that EVERYONE had to have a drink package in the room if you got any sort of drink package. So I did not want to get a surprise you owe another $170 you weren’t budgeting because you have to get the package for the other 2. 

You won’t have to buy more soda packages but the other 2 will have to pay as they go. 

I sailed with my two kids over the Christmas holidays. My daughter and I were passengers 1 and 2 and my son wasn't required to get a package. One thing to note is that passengers 3+ also don't get the free specialty dining, so we had to pay for one meal when visiting Cagney's, but they made it affordable by throwing as much as possible onto my daughter and my orders.

I didn’t do the dining deal because with picky eaters I wasn’t wanting to pay extra for them to eat something ridiculously cheap. It was a very last minute plan so keeping it all cheap as possible. They’ve been asking when we were going to cruise again since it’s been so long so this will be their Easter basket. It’s me heck of an Easter basket lol but for the amount I would be throwing away on candy and other junk they really don’t need I know they’ll appreciate this more. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Generally.....

When the first 2 guests receive a beverage package as a promo, guests 3 through whatever are not required to get a package. 

When the first 2 guests receive a beverage package as a promo, guests 3 through whatever will also get a premium beverage package via promo IF guests 3 through whatever are 21 or older

If an adult BUYS a PBP, all other adults in the stateroom have to have the same and the minors have to have the soda package. 

If anyone in the stateroom buys a soda package, nobody else in the stateroom is forced to buy or have anything. 

In the OP's case, guests 1(adult) and 2(child) receive the PBP and soda package (respectively)  but guests 3&4 do not receive a package and are not required to get one. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only