Amadeus Provence

braemar12

Will be cruising on the Amadeus Provence at the beginning of May.

Any thoughts on the must see attractions of Macon, Chalon sur Saone, Avignon and Chateauneuf du Rhone?

Was thinking of going on to the Carmague from Arles.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chalon is a pretty little town Avignon not to be missed even if it’s just to sing the song. Yes definitely go to the Carmague

image.thumb.jpeg.4a23cd30d6e57617c24cb9525c2bdc34.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d6f712ac286acf8306f979400bfe5323.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.87d4a0c9637a11d008c44ac159266f9f.jpeg

The Coypu was in the wildlife park along with loads of other animals and birds, not to be missed. The picture above Van Goughs room in the sanatorium Arles. The picture above is the Camargue locals riding through town ensuring their right to do so, not Arles.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:10 AM, braemar12 said:

Avignon and Chateauneuf du Rhone?

Avignon is a pretty walled town a few moments by foot from the mooring. The major sight there is the Pope's Palace. ( Avignon, not Rome,  was home to the Papacy in the 1300's).

I don't know Chateauneuf du Rhone. It looks like you stop there only to let off an excursion and the boat continues along the river, the excursion meeting the boat at Le Pouzin. Thus you either take the excursion, stay on board or go yourself to the small town of  Chateauneuf du Rhone as the boat leaves you behind.

You don't ask about Arles so I'm guessing you know about it.

• Like 1

Thanks Pontac - was thinking of going round Arles independently, visiting the Van Gogh attractions and the arena. Depending on the time the Carmague tour is, I will go round Arles.

I cannot tell from the Amadeus site whether their walking tour of Arles clashes with the Camargue excursion or whether you can do both.

An advantage of a guided tour is the guide will probably have photos of van Gogh's pictures to show you as you look at the actual site, photos of the hospital before it was restored and will point out places such as the hose where van Gogh rented rooms when he first came. Also they pay for entrance to the impressive amphitheatre.

However, if you don't want or can't go on the walking tour of Arles it's easy to do yourself. The town abuts the river and the sights are close.

We went to Arles with Viking last August on a cruise starting in Avignon and ending in Lyon, second time we had been on this route.

Arles is on Day 2 of my trip report, link below. (BTW, the Arles T-Shirt has maintained its bright colours after numerous washes and we wished we'd got more.)

• Like 1