QM 2 Britannia Restaurant Sittings

billbee

Posted (edited)

I have booked a cruise on QM 2 in 2025 and initially selected the Early sitting for dinner on a table for two. I changed my mind as I felt the Early sitting was a bit too early for us, changed my selection and opted for the Late sitting (table for two). 

I have subsequently read somewhere that Late sittings on QM 2 Britannia Restaurant are now not fixed seating like the Early sitting is and that i could be sat in a different place every evening with different waiting staff etc and possibly not on a table for two.

Any CC members out there who could advise if this is the case or have I got the wrong end of the stick?! 

Edited by billbee

As I understand it, and experienced it, with open dining you are likely to have differing tables, waiters, sommeliers and possibly dining companions each evening. With both early and late fixed sittings you will have the same table and staff every evening.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

As I understand it, and experienced it, with open dining you are likely to have differing tables, waiters, sommeliers and possibly dining companions each evening. With both early and late fixed sittings you will have the same table and staff every evening.

Correct. And fixed seating is on the lower level, open on the upper level.

1 hour ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Correct. And fixed seating is on the lower level, open on the upper level.

Not always, we booked fixed second and were on the upper level next to those who had booked open. 

18 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Not always, we booked fixed second and were on the upper level next to those who had booked open. 

As I understand it:

QM2: Open is upper deck (deck 3), Fixed is lower (deck 2, 2L)

QE / QV: Open is lower (deck 2) and Fixed is upper (deck 3)

however, Open diners are often invited to the other deck, particularly if arriving about 15 minutes after Fixed dining times, in order to balance out workload. They will get a different table every night, just as Fixed diners will at breakfast and lunch. This doesn't affect the Original Poster in that those on Fixed won't be moved around at dinner. The only way their question could be possible would be if someone on Fixed Dining early turned up late (e.g. late running excursion) and they would then end up for that night on the Open system.

• Like 1

That was my understanding as well until we were given a table on Deck 3 on QM2 for fixed dining. We had requested a table of 6 and were given a table for 2.

This wasn't a last minute booking and there were a number of tables further back in our section who were also on fixed dining. We were the only ones next to open dining. 

The only alternative offered was a move to early sitting. 

We declined the offer. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:21 AM, Host Hattie said:

That was my understanding as well until we were given a table on Deck 3 on QM2 for fixed dining. We had requested a table of 6 and were given a table for 2.

This wasn't a last minute booking and there were a number of tables further back in our section who were also on fixed dining. We were the only ones next to open dining. 

The only alternative offered was a move to early sitting. 

We declined the offer. 

While onboard  QM2 I suggested that a portion of the upper dining room, based on demand, be utilized for fixed dining. I received a smile in reply.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think they have more or less got the hang of Open dining now. In the early days I did see one or two queues on QV and was once offered a bleeper. But on QM2 there were fewer issues to begin with and on my last 2 trips in recent months it was very straightforward. One time slot that seems to cause little problem is roughly at the halfway point between the two Fixed sittings. First nights are the trickier ones because those on fixed dining also need help finding their table, and there are some late shuffles on the night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1